Notifications
Clear all

Horrible cystic acne breakout caused by Accutane, 5th month now??

MemberMember
(@grumpynoodle)

Posted : 11/25/2015 7:01 am

OkayI know I'm not the only one out here who's suffered from initial breakouts, but I'm just upset that I'm going into my 5th month of being on Accutane (Zenatane to be specific)and I'm still suffering from really horrible cystic acne on my cheeks that it caused. I'm a small girl, so I took 40mg the first month and then I got bumped up to 60mg every month afterward and that's when my cheeks exploded with HUGE, painful, bleeding, scarring cysts all over. On top of that I was told during my 3rdmonththat my cheek acnegotinfected underneath (just my luck) so I got prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatorysteroidsfor 2 weeks which only temporary alleviated it. Then it flared back up, and now I'm currently taking Benzaclin which seemed to do a much better job...until I started breaking out with half adozen more deep, painful cyststhis week.

I only originally took itfor moderatepersistent cysts on my chin. They were reallybad, suddenlysprouting overnight to the size of dimes and would last for 6+ months, all the while bleeding out and scarring and slowly shrinking to scarred tissueunder my skin... I was sick of having taken so many acne treatments for itso I went on Accutane. And boy am I starting to regret it...because even if IDID clear up, I'm left with angry scars and red marks from dozens of cysts, just for those 3-4 on my chin? I don't know, I feel like I've suffered for all these months for nothing. Yeah Accutane shrunk my pores and reduced my oiliness, but I don't think that's a good enough tradeoff for all these months of low self-esteem and depressivethoughts.Please tell me I didn't just waste my time... if there was someone who experienced something similar, how did that turn out for you?I really need to hear some testimony otherwise I might just decide to stop right here...

I was also told that if I didn't clear up by 5th monthI'd have to take it for another couple months, but I don't want to extend this torture anymore...I meanI heard it can take a few months to clear up, but 5th month now and no signs of improvementyet?Is my face just weird, since nothing ever works on it anymore? I was so willing to be patient for the first 3-4 months if it meant that I would SEE progress, but all I see is a downhill spiral in my confidence and emotional state. I followed the directions as closely as I could and took it with food (and even gained weight because I was intent on letting it absorb with as much food as it would need) and don't drink or smoke or anything.

I'm even considering posting a photo diary to showmy "progress" with Accutane, if anyone's interested to follow that.I really, really don't want to become an addition to thosemany horror stories, but it's looking to be that way so far... Minor things like dry skin and lips, joint pain, and fatigueI can deal with. But THIS? I don't think I can, even though I'm trying hard... If anyone knows of anything to alleviate badcystic acne even just a little bit, please please tell me!

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 11/26/2015 6:15 pm

Hi. I know your frustration. Im in to my 6 month now and still getting the occasional cyst and my blackheads are just not shifting. Im only on 30mg daily so not as high as you but I would definitely recommend taking a photo diary its a lot easier to see the difference. Don't give up just yet though you will get there. Whats your dermatologist said about it? Have the commented on any improvements?

MemberMember
(@grumpynoodle)

Posted : 12/01/2015 8:34 am

I'll be meeting for a follow-up appointment this Thursday, so we'll see how it goes.He's actually just a doctor that got authorized by my dermatologist to monitor and prescribe Accutane (since my dermatologist has a packed schedule and often refers Accutane patients to a few trusted people)

And to update this post,I broke out with several more huge cysts deep under my skin on my left cheek over the Thanksgiving weekend. I'm so desperate to know what I'm possibly doing wrong to make this bad....Is it my sleep? My diet? Do those things really get in the way of Accutane that much? I was also using a gentle cleanser before, but I just bought myself an acne cleanser from Neutrogena in hopes of the2%salicylic acid workingeven a little bit. And also contantlyusing cold temperatures against my cheeks to try bringing down the inflammation (which isn't working). I was originally going to try to let Accutane do all its work on its own without any interference aside the bare minimal washing and moisturizing, but now I'm about to splurge everything I have onto buying remedies online. It was a mistake to think my skin wouldn't easily go down even after a few months without a fight.=/