Notifications
Clear all

Need Help on Using Isotretinoin

MemberMember
(@eastjune)

Posted : 11/16/2015 9:01 pm

Hello friends!

This is the third-week that I have been on accutane, and I need some help. My dermatologist warned me about the side-effects and that it is likely that an "initial breakout" would occur sometime within the first four-weeks and last for the first couple of months. I haven't been experiencing much of the listed side-effects other that mildly dry lips, but in terms of the initial breakout - it started midway of the second-week, and so far it has been quite bad. Many blackhead and cysts are beginning to surface, near my chin in particular (A region, other than the forehead, in which for me is not usually prone to acne).

The help I need is this: some guidance and tips to help minimize my initial breakout whilst on accutane, that can perhaps be achieved by altering some of my daily activities without the need of purchasing any drugstore counter products (As my dermatologist has recommended me to not use any of such for the time being, at least until the first month on accutane is completed and my blood-work is processed).

I'm looking for the simplest of changes in my daily life that can be made, based on your knowledge and (Or) experience(s) regarding the methods that work and (Or) do NOT work.

Some examples (These are some hypothetical examples):
- Taking cold showers instead of warm showers.
- Cut dairy out of your diet.
- Wash your face no more than once a day.
- It is alright to "pop" (Drain) small pimples.

Of course, these are all hypothetical methods, that I can't confirm on behalf of everyone else, but I am hoping for answers along the lines of those provided examples, and if possible - an explanation to some of the methods that are suggested by you.

Thank you, friends!

MemberMember
(@worriedscared1)

Posted : 11/20/2015 6:45 pm

I recommend caution. Its a dangerous drug. I does work but my experience was a nightmare and i have lots of permanent scarring due to an overly high dosage and overly dry reactive skin when on it.

My tips going by yours:

-dont over shower or wash.

-I dont think dairy makes much difference?

-dont pop anything

-washing twice is ok but dont use scrubs or anything

MemberMember
(@scarletbegonias)

Posted : 11/21/2015 12:09 pm

Hey there! I just finished up my course of Accutane almost a month ago and couldn't be happier with the results. I also experienced a pretty bad initial breakout, here are he tips I can suggest to you:

1. It is ok to wash your face morning and night but don't scrub too hard and use luke warm water and a very mild non acne related cleanser. I used Cetaphil and am still using it even after coming off Accutane. Its so good it even removes waterproof makeup so you know its really cleansing your skin when you use it.

2. Moisturize then moisturize some more! Carry a travel sized bottle of whatever moisturizer you are using so you can do touch ups during your day. You will experience super flaky dry skin for the first few months then it will start to subside.

3. Drink lots of water!! Try drinking an 8oz glass with your first dose of the day, I found that by being super proactive about staying hydrated made some of the initial side effects less severe.

4. Unless you have a known food allergy, staying away from things like dairy won't make a huge difference in the breakout. The initial breakout is inevitable and while it seems bad right now, it WILL start to clear up just be patient. I did make an effort to eat healthier during my treatment just because your body goes through so much while on this treatment so why not give it an extra boost by eating well?

5. *MOST IMPORTANT* Do NOT pick your pimples!! They will scar easily! Your skin starts to get very thin while on this medication so picking will make the healing take longer. I had a rule, I only extracted a pimple if it had a huge whitehead come to the surface of my skin and even then I was super gentle about it. After treatment, I do have a few very minor pock marks which I now know could have been avoided if I hadn't picked a few pimples in the beginning. It you must pick one, put some tea tree oil on it and then neosporin because it may get a little scabby. This will help minimize scaring too.

6. Keep your routine simple. Don't over do it with topicals and creams. The Accutane is working from the inside out it just needs time to do its thing. I didn't start to see real results until 4-5 months into treatment but remember that the first 2-3 months are the hardest adjustment period for your skin. Just enjoy having a simply day and night routine.

Best of luck!!

-R

EastJune liked