Notifications
Clear all

Active acne or hyper-pigmentation?

MemberMember
(@unluckygenetics)

Posted : 11/14/2015 8:20 pm

I've been reading hundreds of entries on here, and was able to make some significant changes to my skincare routine as a result. But I still feel like I can make some improvements, especially regarding the appearance of my hyper pigmentation, and perhaps any active acne that is still present.
Just some background:
My skin is very oily, sensitive and now I seem to suffer from hormonal acne as I have mild PCOS symptoms (multiple cysts, non-existent period, acne). I took the pill (Juliet 35) a year ago, but stopped it after 2 months because I suspected it had triggered insomnia and depression, plus I was really emotional on it. Soon after, my skin became worse than it had ever been prior. I experienced painful daily breakouts for at least 4 or 5 months until it subsided somewhat. Now, I have a lot of red marks on my upper cheeks and on my chin (not on my forehead, jaw, chest or back). I don't know if the red bumps are active acne that is hiding underneath my skin, or if it is merely hyper pigmentation. I still get the occasional whitehead around these areas.

My routine is as follows:
AM:
- Cleanse with Dermaveen wash (Soap free, free from lanolin, parabens, dyes and fragrances, and PH balanced)
- Skin Naturals 2% BHA toner 
- Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel 
- Neutrogena Break-Out Free sunscreen
- Clinque make-up
- 50mg Cyproterone Acetate (Taken for the last 5 months, stopped bringing improvements about 2 months ago)
PM:
- Cleanse with Dermaveen
- Apply Skin Natural 8% AHA
- Wait 20-30mins, then apply Benzoyl Peroxide + Clindamycin gel (Prescribed from doctor, have used it for the past 3 months - made a considerable difference, but its effects are starting to wear off)

I would like to incorporate products, like niacinamide or vitamin C, that help with the healing and fading of my scars/hyper pigmentation. Maybe also a better sunscreen (since using this one, I have had more oily skin)

I might need to give the exfoliants more time to work (I implemented them 3 weeks ago), but i also thought about combating my acne from the inside with antibiotics (they worked very well for my brother, whose severe acne was completely diminished and he is left with no hyper pigmentation). I don't want to go back on any pill (I am very vulnerable to depression/insomnia at the moment)

I also heard about pocketderm, should this be a consideration?

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

MemberMember
(@jellymuffin4)

Posted : 02/01/2016 3:24 pm

How did the vitamin c work?

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 02/01/2016 8:08 pm

It's hyperpigmentation. Try vitamin E oil. Vit. C may work but that mostly helps to build collagen for the scars. When they fade, they'll probably leave some shallow scars.

MemberMember
(@aquaprincess9)

Posted : 02/02/2016 3:26 am

I had hyperpigmentation too and used tea tree oil from the body shop and saw results in 1 2 weeks itself. It will fade them for sure but not completely. I used another organic acne serum which further reduced them to almost my skin color. Drink lots of lemon and cucumber detox water to reduce inflammation. 🙂

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/23/2016 9:10 pm

On 02/02/2016 at 9:08 AM, oyinkan98 said:

It's hyperpigmentation. Try vitamin E oil. Vit. C may work but that mostly helps to build collagen for the scars. When they fade, they'll probably leave some shallow scars.

How could you tell? It really looks inflammed and active. Pigmentation should be flat and perhaps dull in colour.