Notifications
Clear all

Retinol: Need Advice

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 11/12/2015 2:58 pm

Hello. So over the past year or so, I have overused a bunch of harsh products on my face trying to get rid of acne, and basically ruined my barrier and damaged my skin. My face is always red, dehydrated, is sensitive, and I still get mild acne with some cysts. I recently used Epiduo for about 3 months, and it didn't completely get rid of my acne and the bp was too harsh for me, but I noticed that (the adapalene I presume), really evened out my skin tone, faded hyperpigmentation, and softened my skin. So I'm thinking that just a gentle retinol product by itself would do me very good. I've looked at Differin, but don't really wanna schedule another derm appointment just to get that, so I'm looking for over the counter retinols. There is a ton of them, and I need advice on which one to get please! I'd prefer a retinol night cream.I'm a 19 year old male with dehydrated, red, sensitive, uneven, acne prone skin. Any advice and info will be greatly appreciated!

The Nuetrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream w/ Retinol looks pretty good. Any thoughts on this product?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/12/2015 10:37 pm

I used Epiduo for about a year and absolutely loved it. Like you said it does even out the skin tone nicely but it can be drying due to the benzoyl peroxide.

Ive never heard of the Neutrogena retinol night cream. I ran out of my Epiduo around the beginning of this month and decided to try something new. I got a retinol booster from Paula's Choice. You can mix it with a lotion, cream or serum. I mix mine with a little bit of my face cream. I've only been using it for a couple weeks, but so far so good! Here's a link to her website.

[Edited link out]

The retinol booster I use is kinda pricey though. While I was getting the link above I decided to look up the Neutrogena product you're interested in. Wow! It looks like good stuff so you should definitely give it a try.

MemberMember
(@so1o)

Posted : 11/16/2015 5:45 pm

Definitely go with Paula's Choice Clinical 1% Retinol. It's a beautiful creamy lotion that's loaded with antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients. It's the best formula out there that doesn't just rely on its star ingredient, like most retinol products.

a.p. liked