Notifications
Clear all

Retin A + Glycolic acid study

MemberMember
(@topazgelato)

Posted : 11/12/2015 7:42 am

I've been researching everything I can on how to improve acne scars and came across this study.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4375771/
I'm not sure if any of you have seen this but I wanted to know what you thought of it. I know many of you on here believe topicals cannot improve scarring and some believe they make it worse but this study seems to show otherwise.. Has anyone used both retin a and glycolic acid together? I believe they were even mixed together in this study? I want to try it but not exactly sure how to go about it. Anyway just wanted to share this and hear a few opinions :)

btw, don't know if this study has been previously talked about here before but I searched and didn't find it so I apologize if it has been.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 11/12/2015 2:16 pm

Seems promising. Try it out and blog it :) 

MemberMember
(@topazgelato)

Posted : 11/13/2015 6:25 pm

Not so sure I want to be the Guinea pig lol... But nothing bad came of it in the study so I guess I would be willing to try, but not sure how.. Would I mix the two products together? lol does anyone else think anything of the study? No one ever replies on this forum i don't understand why...

MemberMember
(@arte90)

Posted : 11/14/2015 8:47 am

I have seen this study before. Notice that the patients have previously been treated for active acne, meaning that their scars are very fresh or new. This study is not of much use since there is no control group. Fresh scars almost always improve in time. It is therefore very likely that the improvement would have occured without these patients using aha and retinoic acid. Without a baseline, you can not say very much about the effectiveness of a given product.

MemberMember
(@topazgelato)

Posted : 11/16/2015 1:15 pm

After only a few months though..? I thought it usually takes atleast a year to see real improvement

MemberMember
(@arte90)

Posted : 11/16/2015 3:20 pm

It realy depends on the person, and what kind of red marks you are talking about. Some fade in a week, others can take years. And you will always see improvement faster in the beginning then in the end. I am not saying that retin a or glycolic acid will not help, Iam only saying that you can not attribute all the improvement of the patients to it.

MemberMember
(@bluedog88)

Posted : 11/16/2015 3:45 pm

you probably won't see amazing results, especially if your scars are deep. but I bet this could definitely help with shallower scars/ poor texture. There isn't too big of a risk either. just be careful in the sun and all that. seems like a cheap, safe idea to try. maybe I'll do it as well. I was definitely going to go on retinA soon anyway, maybe i will throw in some glycolic acid as well!

MemberMember
(@topazgelato)

Posted : 11/16/2015 3:53 pm

That's what I have.. are you going to mix the two together or just apply them one at a time?