Notifications
Clear all

Oilier skin since starting Roaccutane?

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 10/30/2015 6:36 am

So my face was pretty dry in the last 8 months or so, started Roaccutane a few days ago and I've noticed my face getting significantly oilier. Anyone had the same reaction? Does it mean the medicine starts working? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/30/2015 8:17 am

So my face was pretty dry in the last 8 months or so, started Roaccutane a few days ago and I've noticed my face getting significantly oilier. Anyone had the same reaction? Does it mean the medicine starts working? Thank you.

Hi, Dont worry about this....the first couple of weeks your skin is adjusting to the roaccutane treatment....I'm coming up to week 7 (20mg a day) and would say roaccutane starts to work around week 3-4 of treatment....Your lips start getting chapped in the first 7-10days and then yourskin will start to get dryer at the end of your first month. Every treatment/dose is different so time scales might differ with each treatment but from my experience you should see your skin/pores produce less oil around week 3 or 4....I had my 6 week appointment with my derm and she mentioned that 4-6weeks isnt very long on this treatment and she still expects the roaccutane to continue tokeep drying out my skin......Make sure you have a good lip balm!;) kind regards

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 10/30/2015 9:32 am

Hi, Dont worry about this....the first couple of weeks your skin is adjusting to the roaccutane treatment....I'm coming up to week 7 (20mg a day) and would say roaccutane starts to work around week 3-4 of treatment....Your lips start getting chapped in the first 7-10days and then yourskin will start to get dryer at the end of your first month. Every treatment/dose is different so time scales might differ with each treatment but from my experience you should see your skin/pores produce less oil around week 3 or 4....I had my 6 week appointment with my derm and she mentioned that 4-6weeks isnt very long on this treatment and she still expects the roaccutane to continue tokeep drying out my skin......Make sure you have a good lip balm!;) kind regards

thanks, how long are you going to be on Accutane? Are you going to stay on 20mg/day?

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 11/01/2015 5:20 am

thanks, how long are you going to be on Accutane? Are you going to stay on 20mg/day?

Hi,

Yes, I'm taking accutane to control VERY oily skin (that I've had for most of the last 20 years)so I've agreed with the Derm to do a "low dose" treatment. When on a lower dose you normally stay on treatment for a longer period of time, so instead of doing a high dose 6month course I'm going to stay on 20mg a day for 8-10months, maybe alittle longer. With the lower dose any side effects arealot milder. As mentioned, every treatment is different and dose is different depending on manyfactors....how your body reacts to treatment,type of acne, weightetc etc....As my dose is set to help shrink pores and reduce the oil production in my skin, 20mg a day for a longer period seems the best option for me.

Hope your treatment goes well....Kind regards