Notifications
Clear all

Post-Accutane acne and clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@bball09)

Posted : 10/11/2015 2:45 pm

19, 185, male, healthy eating(mostly), athletic, oily skin.

I finished my 2nd accutane course, which lasted about 9 months while I was on a low dose for the majority (40mg/day). Although I had many problems, I was acne-free aside from skin irritation towards the end. My doc said that a low dose for longer is good, although research online says the opposite is better (whatever I guess).

So now, a month after, I am getting some clogged pores, some are small bumps on forehead, some which are deep, and I'm freaking out. Acne is the single worse thing that has happened to me, taking my self esteem to the lowest points, and accutane is the 2nd worse thing(while also being one of the best things too). I thought that I would be good for sure after accutane, I was dating again, feeling great. But any acne is taking a shot at my self esteem and I can't handle it.

I wash my face at least once a day(2% salicylic acid), and shower twice a day (once in morning, once after gym). Try to exfoliate and keep things clean. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, I don't want acne a month after finishing accutane. What can I do?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/11/2015 3:08 pm

Follow up with your derm. A retinoid may work much better than it did before.

MemberMember
(@bball09)

Posted : 10/11/2015 4:12 pm

Follow up with your derm. A retinoid may work much better than it did before.

I got a retinoid, stronger strength, but I don't know how long it'll take to kick in, should I put it across my entire forehead and spot check the pimples?

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/11/2015 5:38 pm

I finished accutane last month and straight away noticed a flurry of non-inflammatory clogged pores. These died down within a day..then more appeared and so on. A month later they have all pretty much died down, but I do seem to get a tiny clogged pore or red blip every other day, but with the use of epiduo they seem to go in less than 24 hours. I assume it's just my skin readjusting to being off of accutane and getting back to normal - so hopefully that's what's happening to us both and it'll pass!

I think you should just use the topical on the individual spots and, personally, use a gentle face wash. I just use cetaphil and spot treat with epiduo.