Notifications
Clear all

Estrogen Dominance? What's That?

MemberMember
(@h88frances)

Posted : 09/12/2015 11:40 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for dropping by.

Can some one tell me what it estrogen dominance and the theory behind it?

I know that it's a condition where a woman has an imbalance in her estrogen to progesterone ratio, with estrogen being too high (or progesterone being too low), which contributes to acne and an array of PMS.

HOWEVER the part I don't get is that, I thought high progesterone gives you more sebum thus more acne, not low. And I've read many scientific papers that high estrogen is good for the skin.

The low progesterone contributing to acne theory sounds contradictory to most scientific literatures out there, can some explain the logic to this?

And I can't ignore it because so many people are having success controling their hormonal acne with vitex and DIM (estroblock), which makes me want to try this out but first I want to understand it.

Any comments as well as personal experience on vitex or DIM will be super appreciated!

Thanks,

Hannah

MemberMember
(@user465288)

Posted : 09/13/2015 2:39 am

As a male I have not really looked into estrogen dominance. But what I know regarding to your questions is that 3,3-Diindolylmethane has been reported as a strong androgen inhibitor thus inhibits dihydrotestosterone in certain cells. Also 3,3-DIM has been reported to be suppressing cell growth which is regulated by the FOXO Family. Upregulation of FOXO1 and thus down-regulation of the mTORc1 has been speculated to halt acne among other diseases (I have made several posts of this).

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 09/15/2015 10:37 pm

The traditional theory behind estrogen dominance is simple--too much estrogen in the body, too little progesterone. But the definition is misleading, because even men can even have an estrogen dominance. The reason why is because "estrogen dominance" doesn't necessarily mean your body is itself creating too much estrogen or too little progesterone. In fact, when I discovered I was estrogen dominant, I also had slightly elevated levels of testosterone, and also had never missed a period (which would have indicated very low levels of progesterone, and is why menopausal and postmenopausal women can become estrogen dominant).

The most likely theory behind the rising epidemic of estrogen dominance is the increased intake of phytoestrogens and the far more harmful xenoestrogens (estrogen chemicals which have been produced industrially) from our diet and environment. Phytoestrogens are a micronutrient present in foods like soy, wheat, flax, barley, oats, and such. They look just like estrogen in the body and so occupy estrogen receptor sites, leaving your body's own estrogen with nowhere to go and nothing good to do for our bodies. These estrogen mimickers may look just like estrogen in the body, but they sure don't do for the body all the good things that estrogen does.

I like to think of estrogen receptor sites like parking spots in the normally-quiet neighborhood where you work. Parking is usually ample and you never have a problem finding a spot right near your building nor do any of your co-workers, so there's never been a need for reserved parking spots. But say there's a music festival in that neighborhood this week. All of your usual parking spots are crammed with cars from festival goers and the streets are crammed with your frustrated coworkers driving around and around looking for a parking spot to no avail. If you think of you and your coworkers as your body's natural estrogen and the festival attendees as the phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens, it will give you an idea of what happens in the body in a state of estrogen dominance.

I have been taking Estro-block for about 9 months. What the DIM does is assign reserved parking spots to the estrogen receptors, so they can only be occupied by your own estrogen, and therefore do their job, rather than just driving around needlessly, causing traffic and emitting pollution.

Another condition that can contribute to estrogen dominance is a compromised liver and colon, which are the exit points for estrogen your body doesn't need. If your liver or colon are in lousy condition, or are over-worked, your unneeded estrogen can't exit and begins to dominate the progesterone in your body. Our bodies require a delicate balance of estrogen and its antagonist, progesterone, which tones down the estrogen in our bodies appropriately. For example, estrogen stimulates breasts cysts, while progesterone protects against them. The behavior of estrogen and progesterone remind me a lot of the behavior of calcium and magnesium. Calcium is like the unruly schoolchild and magnesium is like the headmaster. If the schoolchildren dominate the headmaster, there is no direction or structure for the schoolchildren and chaos ensues.

I found a very helpful article for you which will explain in more detail the prevalence and significance of xenoestrogens and talks more about ways to balance your natural levels--there is also a very good youtube video presentation attached :)

https://liveto110.com/estrogen-dominance-syndrome/

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/23/2015 5:17 pm

Lots of posts in the Hormonal Acne forum you can check out on ED.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 09/24/2015 3:54 pm

The traditional theory behind estrogen dominance is simple--too much estrogen in the body, too little progesterone. But the definition is misleading, because even men can even have an estrogen dominance. The reason why is because "estrogen dominance" doesn't necessarily mean your body is itself creating too much estrogen or too little progesterone. In fact, when I discovered I was estrogen dominant, I also had slightly elevated levels of testosterone, and also had never missed a period (which would have indicated very low levels of progesterone, and is why menopausal and postmenopausal women can become estrogen dominant).

The most likely theory behind the rising epidemic of estrogen dominance is the increased intake of phytoestrogens and the far more harmful xenoestrogens (estrogen chemicals which have been produced industrially) from our diet and environment. Phytoestrogens are a micronutrient present in foods like soy, wheat, flax, barley, oats, and such. They look just like estrogen in the body and so occupy estrogen receptor sites, leaving your body's own estrogen with nowhere to go and nothing good to do for our bodies. These estrogen mimickers may look just like estrogen in the body, but they sure don't do for the body all the good things that estrogen does.

I like to think of estrogen receptor sites like parking spots in the normally-quiet neighborhood where you work. Parking is usually ample and you never have a problem finding a spot right near your building nor do any of your co-workers, so there's never been a need for reserved parking spots. But say there's a music festival in that neighborhood this week. All of your usual parking spots are crammed with cars from festival goers and the streets are crammed with your frustrated coworkers driving around and around looking for a parking spot to no avail. If you think of you and your coworkers as your body's natural estrogen and the festival attendees as the phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens, it will give you an idea of what happens in the body in a state of estrogen dominance.

I have been taking Estro-block for about 9 months. What the DIM does is assign reserved parking spots to the estrogen receptors, so they can only be occupied by your own estrogen, and therefore do their job, rather than just driving around needlessly, causing traffic and emitting pollution.

Another condition that can contribute to estrogen dominance is a compromised liver and colon, which are the exit points for estrogen your body doesn't need. If your liver or colon are in lousy condition, or are over-worked, your unneeded estrogen can't exit and begins to dominate the progesterone in your body. Our bodies require a delicate balance of estrogen and its antagonist, progesterone, which tones down the estrogen in our bodies appropriately. For example, estrogen stimulates breasts cysts, while progesterone protects against them. The behavior of estrogen and progesterone remind me a lot of the behavior of calcium and magnesium. Calcium is like the unruly schoolchild and magnesium is like the headmaster. If the schoolchildren dominate the headmaster, there is no direction or structure for the schoolchildren and chaos ensues.

I found a very helpful article for you which will explain in more detail the prevalence and significance of xenoestrogens and talks more about ways to balance your natural levels--there is also a very good youtube video presentation attached :) https://liveto110.com/estrogen-dominance-syndrome/

Thanks for the interesting info. I have also started taking estroblock. Do you find it helps much? How much do you take. I feel it is helping me a little but no drastic results yet. Still seem to be breaking out badly a week before my period. I havent been tested but i'm guessing i have estrogen dom since i get the increased hormonal acne around my chin/mouth and some other pms symptoms which seem to point to it. Oh and my mum had breast cancer (caused by too much estrogen) which makes me really freaked out about my hormonal problems. Also started taking vitex to increase progesterone -and eating a paleo sort of diet which helps. Do you follow any special diet?