Notifications
Clear all

What Is Causing My Acne!

MemberMember
(@opulentwaters)

Posted : 09/09/2015 4:08 pm

Hi, after reading many posts of different types and severity of acne i wanted to post my own acne story. I'm 19 and began experiencing acne at the age of 13. My acne consisted mainly of whiteheads and blackheads (nothing too serious). It was predominantly situated across my forhead and nose. After going to the doctor and being prescribed several topical treatments including; isotrexin gel, my acne persisted and began to intensify (age 16/17). My forhead literally expolded. Whenever I felt a spot come up, it was painful and the entire area would go red. It never came to a head. It would just sit there until i popped it (I know i shouldn't have, but c'mon i'dd rather have a scar than a protruding bump. It began spreading to my cheeks. Since then, my skin has slightly calmed down.

I never get acne on my chin, jawline or nose. I would however get the occasional spot on my cheek. My probem areas are the sides of my face and my FOREHEAD!!!. Forhead acne going strong for 6 years :( 🙁 :( Why am i breaking out so frequently on my forhead???

Ive used several shampoos, like head & shoulders, nizoral etc. I even stopped shampooing my hair and washing it less frequently. But that doesn't help. I eat well and exercise regularly, but that makes no difference. I touch my face and pick my skin a hell of a lot less than before (slight improvment). I steam my face and use face masks. I also use AHA's and BHA's to clear the incredibly dark hyperpigmentation marks. I always tie my hair and wash my pillow cases frequently. I haven't been wearing make up and when i do i always remove my make up thoroughly.

My mother had mild acne growing up but she said it cleared but within 2 years. My father never had acne (so i'm guessing there could be a genetic component???)) As well as this, my sister has PCOS, which i heard is genetic and a symptom is acne. I don't know if i have PCOS but my periods are fairly irregular (but i don't have any other symptoms of PCOS).

If you're still reading, then thanks for putting up with my acne drama. I just want to know what people who have been in my situation or similar to this have tried. Ive spent so much on over the counter rubbish. I REALLY JUST WANT THIS TO GO AWAY.

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 09/09/2015 6:34 pm

It is actually possible to determine the root cause of breakouts depending on where they most frequently occur on the face. Face-mapping acne has its roots in Chinese medicine, but is now frequently used in western medicine to identify the causes of certain kinds of acne--primarily hormonal acne, which appears on the chin and along the jaw line as cystic acne and along the upper lip as small white heads.

According to this map, frequent breakouts on the forehead and nose (which are the most common in adolescents and young adults) relates to the following issues:

1) Poor digestion and problems breaking down certain foods--problems particularly in the small intestine; gastrointestinal distress; bloating and constipation;

2) Too much sugar in the diet;

3) Liver issues;

4) An irregular sleep schedule;

5) Stress, bad tempers, too much worrying or anxiety;

6) Toxin buildup;

7) Hair products, bangs, or dirty caps/hats.

8) Poor circulation (if the nose peels)

Acne on the temples could be from:

1) Poor lymphatic circulation;

2) Too much fat in the diet or gallbladder issues;

3) Too much processed foods.

MemberMember
(@opulentwaters)

Posted : 09/10/2015 3:26 am

Hey thanks for the message,

If it is something i am consuming and having problems with digesting, i really don't know what it is. I eat vegetables, frutis, oats and quorn. The occasional takeaway once a week but the takeaway food doesn't seem to break me out. Its safe to say i don't consume a lot of fat or artifical sugar in my diet.

I never wear caps and don't have bangs. The nose acne cleared up (thankfully, but the main issue is the forehead). I appreciate the reply SkinDeeply :)

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 09/10/2015 2:34 pm

Yes, I noticed in your OP you said you took special precaution with your hair and whatnot. I only included it because it was listed. In my opinion (and obviously most people who suffer from acne), cleanliness/grooming is usually the NOT something we scrimp on.

I firmly believe that everyone who suffers from any kind of chronic inflammation could benefit from improved gut health. Clean eating is a good first step, but I have found that most of us need an extra push. Adding some Glutamine to your regimen to keep your intestinal lining in tip-top shape is the best thing to do after cleaning up your diet. Additionally, adding in a daily high-potency probiotic (at least 60-65 billion) to re-populate your intestinal flora is a great way to make sure your gut stays good and healthy and can properly absorb all of the wonderful nutrients you're putting into it.

Many of us have also greatly benefited from supplementing with D3 (which also needs Magnesium, K2, and possibly a daily Vitamin A in the form of retinol (10,000 IU) to work best). Especially considering summer has ended and we'll be getting less and less time in the sun.

There's a sulfur ointment called De la Cruz that is awesome for getting cysts to come to a head and heal and also drying things up. It's super cheap (I got mine for $4) and you can find it at most pharmacies or Walmart/Costco in the "Ethnic Hair" section (for some reason). You apply it as a mask for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off with water. It's powerful stuff, so you only want to use it as a spot treatment once you've healed, otherwise it can cause a lot of peeling. I've found it to be the best alternative to BP.

If you did want to try improving your lymphatic circulation, you could try dry skin brushing. I have one for my body and one for my face (with softer bristles). The face one is great for exfoliation and also cell-turnover, so it's very helpful for bringing stubborn cysts to a head and also scar/hyper-pigmentation healing.

Neither of my parents had any acne either, and out of all my siblings who had teenage acne, mine was the only one to stick around. It took me years to discover that I had some very serious deficiencies that needed to be addressed before I could ever begin healing my skin. It's a tough journey, but so worth it in the end because you get to learn more about your body than most people ever will. So, if/when down the road you do encounter some hormonal issues like your sister has, you'll be empowered and knowledgeable enough to correct the problem.