Notifications
Clear all

My Recent And Final Trip To A Dermatologist (For Acne Related Issues)

MemberMember
(@beyondinfinity)

Posted : 09/05/2015 10:01 am

I have occasional breakout still in my mid thirties, Mostly cyclic acne, but it not as bad as when I was younger. So I thought I'd give the dermatologist one more try. I haven't been there for several years. And I wanted to see if any new treatments had become available or they had any alternative suggestions. I also wanted to discuss about this whole sebum oxidation and if they knew of anything that might help prevent it.

The result - "blah blah blah Accutane blah blah AccutaneAccutanewe have no other treatments in development.Accutane"

I was really disappointed, yet it was exactly what I expected. The doctor was really downplaying the severity of side effects, completely glossing over them. Saying that they were manageable, that reports of mental changes and suicide were rare etc etc. I just listened and nodded my head and said I'd think about it, but I've done enough research on my own to know I would never take such a dangerous drug. Particularly since it is not even a cure. There is still a chance the acne will return. So why potentially damage my body?

The disspointing thing is that they gloss over the side effects and how dangerous this drug is, They don't give you full disclosure of the relevant information so you can make an informed decision. If I was some teenager or someone who hasn't done my research, I may have accepted the prescription and started taking it. That is the scary thing.

And regarding the whole sebum oxidation and dietary changes, there was no discussion, you mention these things to them but it is like talking to the wall. You can't even have a discussion. Either they don't know about it, or they are simply not interested.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/05/2015 11:15 am

I have occasional breakout still in my mid thirties, Mostly cyclic acne, but it not as bad as when I was younger. So I thought I'd give the dermatologist one more try. I haven't been there for several years. And I wanted to see if any new treatments had become available or they had any alternative suggestions. I also wanted to discuss about this whole sebum oxidation and if they knew of anything that might help prevent it.

The result - "blah blah blah Accutane blah blah AccutaneAccutanewe have no other treatments in development.Accutane"

I was really disappointed, yet it was exactly what I expected. The doctor was really downplaying the severity of side effects, completely glossing over them. Saying that they were manageable, that reports of mental changes and suicide were rare etc etc. I just listened and nodded my head and said I'd think about it, but I've done enough research on my own to know I would never take such a dangerous drug. Particularly since it is not even a cure. There is still a chance the acne will return. So why potentially damage my body?

The disspointing thing is that they gloss over the side effects and how dangerous this drug is, They don't give you full disclosure of the relevant information so you can make an informed decision. If I was some teenager or someone who hasn't done my research, I may have accepted the prescription and started taking it. That is the scary thing.

And regarding the whole sebum oxidation and dietary changes, there was no discussion, you mention these things to them but it is like talking to the wall. You can't even have a discussion. Either they don't know about it, or they are simply not interested.

My experience was the same. It's like, whats the point.