Notifications
Clear all

Is Your Acne Not Responding To D3 The Way You Hoped It Would? Here's Why...

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 08/29/2015 3:43 pm

I've been seeing a lot of posts and thread responses lately from people who read about the magic that is the hormone D3 and what it could and should be doing for their skin, but find that either they were never able to achieve the desired results from the start, or found their skin was no longer responding as positively to it as it once did. Most of them will either keep upping their dosage and find themselves more and more frustrated and confused that they aren't seeing results, or quit taking the D3 all together.

Now, a small group of people will experience a worsening in their acne from D3 supplements if they are allergic to lanolin or the yeasts present in some non-vegan D3 pills. That is a SMALL group of people. The rest are not seeing sustained results because their bodies don't have everything they need to absorb and properly utilize the hormone.

This is why...

A lot of people will find their D3 supplementation isn't working like it did at first (or perhaps not at all) because their Magnesium levels have become so depleted that their bodies are no longer absorbing the D3 and they can't manage to get their levels up no matter how much they up their dosage. Basically, if you don't have sufficient Magnesium to help the D3 do what it needs to do, your body can't use it.

Even if you weren't supplementing with the D3, there's a good chance you may have already been insufficient or deficient in Magnesium since roughly 80% of people are. It's a wildly important mineral in the body necessary for hundreds and hundreds of enzymatic processes. Just about every process in your body (especially hormonal processes) require Magnesium to work properly. And because it's in such high demand, it depletes very easily and must be supplemented to keep your levels up and running.

This is why you absolutely need to be including Magnesium (either in a Glycinate, Citrate, or Sulfate form) with your vitamin D3 supplementation. They work in concert together. Magnesium helps convert Vitamin D into its active form so the body can use it--otherwise, the D3 alone won't be able to do its job of preventing calcium buildup in the arteries. You want your Calcium in your bones--not hanging around and building up in your blood. That leads to all kinds of not-very-pretty things. Magnesium is a natural anti-inflammatory and a natural antihistamine. An unbalanced proportion of Calcium to Magnesium is going to act as a histamine in the body and you'll see all kinds of inflammation---acne being one of them.

Similarly, you need K2 in there to help the D3 do its job. You'll notice that a lot of K2 supplements actually include at least 1,000 mg of D3 in the formula---and there's a reason for that. Without the help of vitamin K2, the calcium that your vitamin D so effectively lets in might be working AGAINST you by building up calcium in your coronary arteries rather than your bones. Again, calcium buildup in your blood=major inflammation. There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency.

Additionally, you need to be taking a quality B Complex (with added C) along with your Magnesium. If you are deficient in certain B vitamins, your Magnesium won't be able to do its job to help the D3 do its job. I know a lot of people here have a fear of B-Complex because they've had a bad reaction to Biotin or B-12 in the past. But B vitamins shouldn't be taken at all in isolation. They can only do good and right by you when they have the whole team along.

Unfortunately, no vitamin, mineral, or hormone is an island. It would be lovely to think we could just take one magic supplement to do everything we'd like it to all on its own, but they work in synchronicity or not at all.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 09/15/2015 5:01 pm

I've been seeing a lot of posts and thread responses lately from people who read about the magic that is the hormone D3 and what it could and should be doing for their skin, but find that either they were never able to achieve the desired results from the start, or found their skin was no longer responding as positively to it as it once did. Most of them will either keep upping their dosage and find themselves more and more frustrated and confused that they aren't seeing results, or quit taking the D3 all together.

Now, a small group of people will experience a worsening in their acne from D3 supplements if they are allergic to lanolin or the yeasts present in some non-vegan D3 pills. That is a SMALL group of people. The rest are not seeing sustained results because their bodies don't have everything they need to absorb and properly utilize the hormone.

This is why...

A lot of people will find their D3 supplementation isn't working like it did at first (or perhaps not at all) because their Magnesium levels have become so depleted that their bodies are no longer absorbing the D3 and they can't manage to get their levels up no matter how much they up their dosage. Basically, if you don't have sufficient Magnesium to help the D3 do what it needs to do, your body can't use it.

Even if you weren't supplementing with the D3, there's a good chance you may have already been insufficient or deficient in Magnesium since roughly 80% of people are. It's a wildly important mineral in the body necessary for hundreds and hundreds of enzymatic processes. Just about every process in your body (especially hormonal processes) require Magnesium to work properly. And because it's in such high demand, it depletes very easily and must be supplemented to keep your levels up and running.

This is why you absolutely need to be including Magnesium (either in a Glycinate, Citrate, or Sulfate form) with your vitamin D3 supplementation. They work in concert together. Magnesium helps convert Vitamin D into its active form so the body can use it--otherwise, the D3 alone won't be able to do its job of preventing calcium buildup in the arteries. You want your Calcium in your bones--not hanging around and building up in your blood. That leads to all kinds of not-very-pretty things. Magnesium is a natural anti-inflammatory and a natural antihistamine. An unbalanced proportion of Calcium to Magnesium is going to act as a histamine in the body and you'll see all kinds of inflammation---acne being one of them.Similarly, you need K2 in there to help the D3 do its job. You'll notice that a lot of K2 supplements actually include at least 1,000 mg of D3 in the formula---and there's a reason for that. Without the help of vitamin K2, the calcium that your vitamin D so effectively lets in might be working AGAINST you by building up calcium in your coronary arteries rather than your bones. Again, calcium buildup in your blood=major inflammation. There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency. Additionally, you need to be taking a quality B Complex (with added C) along with your Magnesium. If you are deficient in certain B vitamins, your Magnesium won't be able to do its job to help the D3 do its job. I know a lot of people here have a fear of B-Complex because they've had a bad reaction to Biotin or B-12 in the past. But B vitamins shouldn't be taken at all in isolation. They can only do good and right by you when they have the whole team along.Unfortunately, no vitamin, mineral, or hormone is an island. It would be lovely to think we could just take one magic supplement to do everything we'd like it to all on its own, but they work in synchronicity or not at all.

Thanks for the tip about magnesium. I've been taking vit d for a few months and felt great at first - more energy, reduction in muscle pain. Then i started getting these awful headaches and was wondering if it was the vit d. So started taking magnesium and the headaches went away. Don't think it was just coincidence ??

Did you find vit d helped your skin? My skin has improved a bit lately but i am doing alot of other things as well so not sure what exactly is helping :)

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 09/15/2015 5:40 pm

I actually started taking the Magnesium prior to the D3 for migraines. Now, magnesium is the only thing that puts a dent in them. Then I discovered by accident the Magnesium also worked wonders for my acne. My skin was pretty clear by the time I added the D3, but it did absolutely eradicate my hormonal breakouts. Since adding it, my skin is consistently good no matter where I am in my cycle.

MemberMember
(@strongbodyforgoodskin)

Posted : 10/09/2015 6:16 am

ZMA, is all im saying.

MemberMember
(@bugsyrup)

Posted : 10/09/2015 1:16 pm

I'm really interested in supplementing calcium, magnesium, D3 and K2, but not sure how much of each i should take, suggestions?
MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 10/14/2015 7:29 pm

Perfect. You can start talking about the biochemistry behind everything and I'll just sit back and watch. My fingers got tired pretty fast.

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 10/15/2015 2:22 pm

I'm really interested in supplementing calcium, magnesium, D3 and K2, but not sure how much of each i should take, suggestions?

Personally, I think Calcium almost NEVER needs to be supplemented. It's perfectly available through most people's diets with very little effort. And the body likes it best through food. Honestly, if I have a 1/2 cup of goat milk throughout the day with tea, a couple handfuls of leafy greens and a shake of goat cheese in a salad, I've gotten plenty of calcium for the day.

I take 750-900mg of Mg Citrate a day. More if I have a headache or take an Epsom salt soak, but I try not to overdo it because too much can make me sleepy.

I take 5,000-8,000IU's of D3 a day with 200mcg of K-2.

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 10/16/2015 2:27 pm

I have taken magnesium, and I have taken D3, but I don't think I have tried them both at the same time. Guess I will be trying that now. And the K2 of course. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@fiaf)

Posted : 10/31/2015 11:28 am

I use both can't say it cleared my acne. Maybe it's reduced it a bit but I can't be certain. There certainly is no harm in trying this.

Although D3 still is good for not getting sick!! I take 4000ui daily. Used to get sick monthly during the winter with my little bro bringing colds from school a lot. Now it's rare. Magnesium does help me sleep better which is great! I also feel it helps with protein absorption. It's good for building muscle.