Notifications
Clear all

Can 'popping' A Pimple Lead To It Spreading?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 08/22/2015 4:39 pm

Hello!

I was just wondering if you guys think popping a pimple can lead it it causing more acne in the surrounding area. I had a semi inflamed acne bump on my cheek.. I applied witch hazel, washed my hands, covered my fingers in toilet paper, tried to pop it.. some stuff did come out, but it wasn't a completely successful extraction.. I immediately put witch hazel on it, then after that dried I put on some aloe on the bump and a little around the surrounding area. So I think I did all I could for someone who was extracting a pimple.. but my fear since the bump was on the apple of my cheek is that since it wasn't a completely successful extraction and I had to use a lot of force that I spread the bacteria to the surrounding area, and that I will start getting inflamed acne on my cheeks (I never usually get this type of acne there ever)

So I'm mostly asking you, do you think popping pimples can even spread infection to other areas it was popped in? And do you think a one time thing is something that could cause inflamed acne in the whole area, or do you think I'm safe?

Thanks (:

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 08/22/2015 4:59 pm

Don't worry about spreading bacteria across the skin. I'm pretty sure it's a myth that this causes acne. Propionibacterium acnes (which is the bacteria that is linked to acne) is deep inside the pore, so I don't think surface bacteria aggravates it. You're safe in this respect.

Touching the skin can cause follicle walls to rupture, and if there is already pus in the pore which was ruptured, it can leak into nearby pores. Remember: this pus contains Propionibacterium acnes, so they'll also spread. That's what you should be concerned about. If you can, apply BP to that area. I know you stated that your skin was sensitive to it, but this is your best chance for killing the Propionibacterium acnes. They cannot survive in the presence of oxygen. And when BP contacts the skin, it breaks down into benzoic acid & oxygen.

If you touched a large area of skin during the extraction, that entire area could breakout. If you touched only the pimple (and perhaps a bit of skin around it), you're probably safe.

So I could have broke follicle walls by popping the pimple? and if puss got through them into other areas of the skin it could break me out more? I think im going to leave it alone now, the swelling went down marginally, and there's a chance I got all the pus out. I just have to repeat to myself that its not worth it to pick at the skin! ahahah ;p