Stop The Picking! S...

Notifications
Clear all

Stop The Picking! Support Log

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/09/2015 1:30 pm

It's nothing new to any of us that picking at your skin is bad. I'm sure, like me, you've been told to just stop picking at your skin by those who don't understand that you can't just stop. If you could you would, am I right?? So I am making this forum for those who have a skin picking problem like me. We can share our stories and support each other through the struggle of stopping. I don't know about you but I am more than ready to stop ruining my skin and get on a path to confidence and love for my body.

If you do decide to do this with me don't be ashamed to be honest and post the times where you have had a setback or have fallen off the clear skin wagon. I know this isn't an easy journey to go on and I know there will be setbacks. So anyway if you feel like doing this with me or if you have had success and want to share your story feel free to jump in!

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/10/2015 10:02 am

I just wanted to add again that I have successfully made it through another day pick free! I am however waiting anxiously for my new tangle toy to keep my hands busy so I don't scan my face all the time. Once I scan and find a bump it is almost impossible to forget about it.. But it's been 72 hours!!!

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/12/2015 12:22 am

After four full days I caved and picked my face today :( I was doing so well but got stressed out and let the temptation win. I'm starting again tomorrow and my goal is to beat 4 days!

MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/13/2015 9:48 am

Hey, I'm joining you. Your first post could have literally been written by me word for word. Our experiences are the same, and I know a lot of people struggle with this. I'm so glad you went four days without picking! Even though you slipped up, now you know you can at least go without, because you've done it before.

Today is my first "not-picking" day. I've gone without picking for months before, but I always fall back for another couple months.

So far, I didn't pick this morning, which is great! Let's see if I can keep it up tonight!

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/13/2015 1:17 pm

Hey, I'm joining you. Your first post could have literally been written by me word for word. Our experiences are the same, and I know a lot of people struggle with this. I'm so glad you went four days without picking! Even though you slipped up, now you know you can at least go without, because you've done it before.

Today is my first "not-picking" day. I've gone without picking for months before, but I always fall back for another couple months.

So far, I didn't pick this morning, which is great! Let's see if I can keep it up tonight!

Good luck! At night is always the time I feel the need to pick the most. I'm back on day one again :( Let me know how it goes!! And thanks for joining!!

MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/13/2015 4:50 pm

So i couldnt make it through day one. I pick about five places on my face :(

I'll just have to try harder tomorrow!

We'll get it!

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/13/2015 10:51 pm

So i couldnt make it through day one. I pick about five places on my face :(

I'll just have to try harder tomorrow!We'll get it!

I'm starting over tomorrow as well :( my tangle toys came in though and I am hoping that having that in my hand throughout the day will help keep them from scanning my face ( at this point it's automatic like breathing. I don't even think about it) so I'm starting new tomorrow and my goal is to beat 4 days without picking my face or shoulders!! Good luck to us both!! :)

Jane3 liked
MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 07/14/2015 5:33 am

Hey there! I have been following this log since the start as I am also in the process of trying to quit my evil skin-picking habit. I am currently reading the book "Skin Picking: The Freedom to Finally Stop" and I highly recommend it as a very non-judgemental, non-pretentious read on the habit of skin picking. It's also written by a former severe skin picker which is encouraging, as she managed to stop using the techniques and methods in the book.

Anyway...

I just made a grim, but strangely encouraging discovery and thought I would share (at the risk of grossing people out but oh well! We're all in this together.)

I have been avoiding popping any whiteheads on my face at all costs for the past week, and usually what happens is after a few days (anywhere between 2 and 5) I will wake up in the morning and the whitehead will be a flat dry patch rather than a whitehead. Today I was fortunate enough to see what happens to these whiteheads and where they disappear to (ew sorry.)

So this morning I was getting ready and witnessed one of these whiteheads just fell off my face, revealing new (albeit dry) skin underneath. I had been under the impression that they had popped somehow from the pressure of sleeping on my pillow, but it seems they they sort of solidify, heal and fall off, akin to a scab.

For some reason I find this satisfying as I have always thought that if it's going to pop in my sleep anyway I may as well pop it myself, and in a sterile manner. But clearly there is a benefit to leaving whiteheads alone as they will just fall away leaving little to no hyperpigmentation that will heal much quicker than a picked and popped pimple!

Jane3 and liked
MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/14/2015 9:32 am

Hey there! I have been following this log since the start as I am also in the process of trying to quit my evil skin-picking habit. I am currently reading the book "Skin Picking: The Freedom to Finally Stop" and I highly recommend it as a very non-judgemental, non-pretentious read on the habit of skin picking. It's also written by a former severe skin picker which is encouraging, as she managed to stop using the techniques and methods in the book.Anyway...

I just made a grim, but strangely encouraging discovery and thought I would share (at the risk of grossing people out but oh well! We're all in this together.)I have been avoiding popping any whiteheads on my face at all costs for the past week, and usually what happens is after a few days (anywhere between 2 and 5) I will wake up in the morning and the whitehead will be a flat dry patch rather than a whitehead. Today I was fortunate enough to see what happens to these whiteheads and where they disappear to (ew sorry.)So this morning I was getting ready and witnessed one of these whiteheads just fell off my face, revealing new (albeit dry) skin underneath. I had been under the impression that they had popped somehow from the pressure of sleeping on my pillow, but it seems they they sort of solidify, heal and fall off, akin to a scab.For some reason I find this satisfying as I have always thought that if it's going to pop in my sleep anyway I may as well pop it myself, and in a sterile manner. But clearly there is a benefit to leaving whiteheads alone as they will just fall away leaving little to no hyperpigmentation that will heal much quicker than a picked and popped pimple!

I'm sad to say I've never let a pimple get to the point where it can fall off but that's my new goal! Haha I'm so glad that people are starting to join in and we can all share our ideas! So far I've gone the whole morning without picking (even with a random giant zit by my chin) I have kept my tangle toy in my hand at almost all times just to make sure my hands to travel up to scan my face. Thanks for chiming in!! :) and Goodluck!!

MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/14/2015 10:59 am

JLopez, I too somehow find that comforting. Lol

On my first fay again! Havent picked! (well tbh I picked some that were ready like on the surface and pretty much going to fall off like JLopez said so I dont count those, someone please tell me if they think I shouldnt count that)

Wish me luk for rest of day!

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 07/14/2015 11:45 am

JLopez, I too somehow find that comforting. Lol

On my first fay again! Havent picked! (well tbh I picked some that were ready like on the surface and pretty much going to fall off like JLopez said so I dont count those, someone please tell me if they think I shouldnt count that)

Wish me luk for rest of day!

Hey Jane3,

Firstly, I'm glad you find that comforting too! Haha. Secondly, I feel you with the on the surface whiteheads! That's exactly what I'm dealing with at the moment.

In reference to whether or not you think popping those annoying little surface whiteheads should count it's pretty much up to you! However, I know that for me personally it helps me in the long run if I try to keep to just popping one of those kind of pimples a day, because otherwise I can easily get sucked into the dangerous spending-an-hour-two-inches-away-from-the-mirror picking session!

Also the way that you are popping those pimples is super important; try not to just go in with dirty fingernails! I think the best way is to apply a hot compress (just run a clean cloth under hot water) onto the pimple for as long as it takes to cool down; this helps make sure all the gunk is at the surface. Then using clean fingers wrapped in a piece of tissue, gently apply a downwards pressure at either side of the pimple, this is to ensure that none of the infection is pushed further down inside.

Oftentimes, if the whiteheads are truly already at the surface, they will come away by themselves with the application of the hot compress!

Good luck for the rest of your pick-free day! Stay strong!

MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/14/2015 4:51 pm

Yeah i totally agree lol

If i go over 2 or 3 it's downhill from there

And so far still havent picked yet! :D

And I'll have to try the hot compress. Maybe it'll be so much trouble I'll not bother picking them at all hahaha

JLopez liked
MemberMember
(@mandyline)

Posted : 07/14/2015 6:30 pm

Okay, so I'm really glad this exists because I've had a terrible picking problem so I'll definitely join in. I have gotten a lot better at not picking than how I was before, but I'm still left with red acne marks that take, like, years to go away. Sometime next year if I beat this horrible picking habit of mine, I plan on going to my dermatologist and getting the Vbeam treatments to make these red marks disappear. I just need to raise more money first haha. But for now, I'll need your guy's support and hopefully I can bring some support to the table as well. :)

So far today I have not picked, so I guess I'll start now and see how long I can go. I just have to be more conscious about it.

Jane3 liked
MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/14/2015 9:16 pm

Okay, so I'm really glad this exists because I've had a terrible picking problem so I'll definitely join in. I have gotten a lot better at not picking than how I was before, but I'm still left with red acne marks that take, like, years to go away. Sometime next year if I beat this horrible picking habit of mine, I plan on going to my dermatologist and getting the Vbeam treatments to make these red marks disappear. I just need to raise more money first haha. But for now, I'll need your guy's support and hopefully I can bring some support to the table as well. :)

So far today I have not picked, so I guess I'll start now and see how long I can go. I just have to be more conscious about it.

Glad you decided to join :) I'm doing pretty well I think. I have a big pimple near my chin that is driving me nuts but I'm trying to stay away from it. Good luck to everyone else!!

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/15/2015 3:37 pm

I think I figured out my number one skin problem. I was watching the videos of how to apply the acne.org stuff and I realized I am way too tough on my skin! Every time I wash it I use a wash cloth and I exfoliate like two times a week with a very grainy cleanser. The video put a lot of stress on being gentle with your skin so I'm going to try that. I'm not sure why but I've always had the idea in my head that if I scrub I can scrub off the blemishes and get my skin cleaner but that isn't true at all!

Jane3 liked
MemberMember
(@mandyline)

Posted : 07/15/2015 7:55 pm

Welp, of course its only been the second day and I gave in and started picking a pimple along my jawline, it hurt before but it hurts more now. *sigh* I just need to avoid any sort of mirrors at all cost because it makes me inspect my skin and see what there is to pop. I know it sounds gross but, I guess I'll start over tomorrow. :/

Jane3 liked
MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/16/2015 7:22 am

Arden077, I realized that too when i first wacthed those videos. Luckily, that was a while back.

Mandyline, I did the same thing! I wen all day yesterday without picking and then picked one this morning. :(

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/16/2015 1:33 pm

I did the ultimate no no and slept in my makeup last night :( My skin will be punishing me for that very soon. I have to confess I picked at a few whiteheads between my brows but that's it (not that I'm justifying it it's still bad) Hopefully my face doesn't break out too much. Fingers crossed!!

MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/17/2015 7:21 am

Im starting to count my all picking as picking. So I picked twice this mornin and twice yesterday. Really, that's an impovement though! :) i used to pick a lot more than that.

MemberMember
(@adren077)

Posted : 07/17/2015 11:54 am

Broke up with my two year boyfriend and the stress has my face looking terrible between breakouts and picking :( back to square one

MemberMember
(@beyb14)

Posted : 07/18/2015 7:41 pm

Cant resist picking my pimples ive just had IB and its all over my face its taking away my self esteem. Im on tane 3 weeks now and my pimples are just horrible..should go back to my derm and have some extraction or just let it there till it heals.its just so annoying

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/18/2015 8:47 pm

Cant resist picking my pimples ive just had IB and its all over my face its taking away my self esteem. Im on tane 3 weeks now and my pimples are just horrible..should go back to my derm and have some extraction or just let it there till it heals.its just so annoying

Definitely no extractions. You can request prednisone to help with the inflammation.

MemberMember
(@beyb14)

Posted : 07/18/2015 9:04 pm

Ill take ur advice My derm already prescribed me prednisone on tge beginning of accutane but only for 2 weeks

MemberMember
(@jane3)

Posted : 07/19/2015 11:06 pm

So i've been doing pretty well and i picked next to none when i went out of town this weekend. Unfortunately, as soon as I reached my own home bathroom I picked the livings daylight out of my face. Im so disappointed in myself. I will have to try really hard tomorrow because I'm sure what I just did will have detrimental effects on my skin.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/21/2015 10:44 am

So i've been doing pretty well and i picked next to none when i went out of town this weekend. Unfortunately, as soon as I reached my own home bathroom I picked the livings daylight out of my face. Im so disappointed in myself. I will have to try really hard tomorrow because I'm sure what I just did will have detrimental effects on my skin.

Don't be disappointed, instead, be happy and proud that you did so well for a few days! If you did it once, you can do it again. Tell me - what made you avoid picking when you were out of town? Was it that you were distracted or with other people? Maybe you were having a good time and you were experiencing less stress? Try to introspect a little bit about why you didn't pick when you were gone, and work towards recreating those conditions at home.

Good luck!

Jane3 liked