Notifications
Clear all

Adult Acne Only - Antibiotics And Acne

MemberMember
(@murphy25)

Posted : 07/09/2015 5:41 am

Hi All

I am 25, female, and have been suffering with moderate acne for about 10months

I came off the contraceptive pill in September last year, and since my skin got worse and worse. I developed lots of spots under the skin on my chin which were extremely red inflamed and sore.

From December, I stopped getting them on my chin but they moved to around my jaw line and my cheeks.

I went to the dermatologist in March, he prescribed me erythromycin oral antibiotics and epiduo.

After 2 months, my skin was worse than ever, extremely red, sore, inflamed and irritated.

I went back to the docs, who told me to stop using, he prescribed me lymecycline oral antibiotics, and isotrex topical gel.

Again, used for a month but no change! A month ago, I decided to carry on with the oral antibiotics but to stop using the topical gel. My skin is now about 80% clearer, with the odd small spot coming up.

I am now using tea tree oil on any active spots, and pure aloe Vera gel on my skin.

Firstly, has anyone else had an experience like this?

And secondly, I would ideally like to stop the antibiotics, but I'm so scared that my spots will come back and be worse. Any ideas or tips?

Docs said I should take for another 3 months but I don't want to... Should I cut them out gradually?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@acne90)

Posted : 08/21/2015 5:07 am

Hi , im also 25 and got acne after coming off yasmin.

I had acne previously but nothing like that i ended up with after coming off the pill

with my past experience with lymecycline it helped clear my acne completely, i was placed on retin-a at the time (equivalent to isotrex) and that maintained the good skin. I only got reoccurrence of spots when i stopped using the retin-a. So id keep using isotrex alongside the anitbiotics and carry on using it after you stop them. just my opinion. good luck

MemberMember
(@kitp)

Posted : 08/21/2015 3:44 pm

Hello :) I'm also 25 and female. I was on Lymecycline for about a year but as I was still getting hormonal acne (I have hormonal issues) I stopped taking them thinking they weren't working. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! My skin literally exploded a few weeks after I stopped taking it much much worse than I have ever had before. I am now back on Lymecycline and am on week 5 differin. My skin has only just started to begin to sort itself out. I really wish I never stopped the anti biotics.

Best of luck with whatever you do xx