Notifications
Clear all

I'm Getting Frustrated With This.

MemberMember
(@excellentgame)

Posted : 06/13/2015 6:28 pm

Here's the issue: After talking to my family doctor LAST YEAR about accutane, she finally put me on accutane at the end of March 2015. She had to make sure that I actually wasn't reacting well to anything, although I had already explained how my pediatrician went through everything when I was a teen. So it took about a year...

However, when she started me, she only gave me 10MG a day because she hates accutane, and tells me "everything comes at a price, this is dangerous! I never put anyone on it higher than this, and I only do 3 months!". I thought okay, whatever, but I expected to bump up after.

After 2 months with minimal results, she finally bumped me to 20MG/day to start June. She acted like I was a special case, and told me she'll only do one more month max after this, then we're stopping to "detox, or whatever you want to call it." for a few months.

Some of the things she says make me mad. She likes to make judgments on people a lot. The last time my dad went in there for back pain, she told him "you're an anxious individual" and didn't care or offer much help (turns out he had a torn disk in his back and he's developing arthritis).

WHILE last year was happening, I've had two separate friends ask their doctors/derms for accutane, go on 40MG for 4 months, and stop their acne. I'm starting to get mad, but I'm in Canada and I heard it's difficult here to get something like this without waiting 6 months to get into a derm. Any advice?

I just don't want to spend years going on this drying medication on and off. I think it's a stupid waste of time, I'd rather just have a bad couple of months with some extra dryness and eyedrops and be done after.

MemberMember
(@jennjennjenn)

Posted : 06/14/2015 2:53 pm

Just go to a different derm if you think yours is an incompetent jerk. You can't force your dem to prescribe anything she's not comfortable with.

MemberMember
(@scarly)

Posted : 06/14/2015 5:48 pm

I know you're a polite Canadian, I am too ;). But regardless, I would go back and present the above story about your dad - along with what your friends have experienced - and would expect her to be a bit more lenient after the discussion. Alternatively, you might want to see if she'd consider putting you on a high-prescription topical retinoid instead? IDK if you've been on them already; they're not the same, but they seem to have similar results. She sounds overly cautious, but is also clearly trying to follow the rules of a country with a left-wing national health system to a tee (and to a fault). If you see no benefit from the topical retinoids, she might be more lenient, but I'd still make it clear that you're annoyed. There's no way you'd see benefit after three months - I was on Accutane for six months before my acne cleared up. Of course it's an invasive treatment that can cause both excessive dryness and depression, but quite frankly the acne is going to do the same thing!