Notifications
Clear all

Is This Scab Normal After Using Glycolic Acid?

MemberMember
(@guano7178)

Posted : 06/11/2015 5:38 am

Hi everyone.

I'm a new member who joined today. Before March 2015, I had relatively clear skin. But after returning from a trip to Asia (I'm from Australia), my skin started to form a lot of closed comedones on both of my temples (I've never broken out there before) as well as cheeks and jawline. It's now June and it's still there. I recently went to see a dermatologist who prescribed me with his Glycolic Acid cream that I must apply every night.

Intense scabbing has now occurred and I am wondering if this is supposed to be normal? I know scabbing is normal but I'm just wondering if the scabs on my face are 'normal' or did I do something wrong with the process? Also, I was wondering if I should continue to apply this cream on top of the scab or leave it alone? Because I feel like the scabs are too light/thin to heal (and peel) off on its own at the moment.

Thank you for any replies. I've attached a photo.

post-473397-0-24409600-1434019101.jpg

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/11/2015 8:02 am

Ouchies!! Yeah, that doesn't look good. I would discontinue using the cream and contact your derm, tell them what happened and see what they recommend. A cream should not injure your skin like that. My guess is maybe the formula is too strong for your skin (yours seems on the sensitive side to react like that) and maybe you applied too much at the beginning. What strength glycolic acid is it? 10%? 20%? 30%? The Acne.Org glycolic acid cream (available without a prescription!) is 10% but still pretty powerful stuff. I often tell people to dilute a pea-size portion with their moisturizer because it can really make your skin peel and turn red until you get used to it. But people without sensitive skin can usually get away with applying it undiluted with only minimal discomfort.