Notifications
Clear all

Saw Palmetto - Last Resort Before Accutane, Pls Give Advice!

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 06/07/2015 1:14 pm

Hi,

I'm on a second 3 month course of antibiotics that totally aren't working. My GP has referred me, saying I should go on accutane in a month if there's no improvement.

My acne is moderate and is definitely caused by my severely oily skin. My skin produces so much sebum that I feel like no antibiotic or differin-type thing will ever help me unless I tackle the hormonal side of it.

What's the best brand of saw palmetto + how do you guys recommend taking it?

Does this 3000mg one look good - is it safe to take that much? http://www.amazon.co.uk/3000mg-Palmetto-Tablets-Nutriodol-Supplements/dp/B00K91L7FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433701078&sr=8-2&keywords=saw+palmetto

I've cut out dairy and I'm currently taking vitamin D3 too - so far no improvement but I'm hopeful.

This is my last resort before accutane which I desperately don't want to go on! The liver damage aspect terrifies me, and 6 months without alcohol (ridiculous as this sounds) is an awful prospect, as I love drinking with friends and my whole social life is based around that.

Are there any side effects/when should I notice differences?

Is saw palmetto best to take in the evening with a meal, given I take my vitamin D3 and my tetralysal antibiotic in the morning?

I'm a girl so don't mind any estrogen-based side effects.

Thanks so much :/

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 06/07/2015 7:46 pm

Try cod liver oil with vitamin a and d in it twice a day. It will balance hormones. Garlic capsules and probiotics help greatly as well.