Notifications
Clear all

Is Accutane Really Worth The Painful 6 Months?

MemberMember
(@afl13)

Posted : 04/16/2015 7:43 pm

okay im kinda new to this website but i have been struggling with acne for about a year now.

my acne was not to bad mild and then i got my first cyst and then i got more and more and more.

it got to the pont where i had no friends and basically never left my house.

i went to the derm and got clyndoxel gel (which i am currenty using)

ive chnged my life style drastically as well such as eating vegan , avoiding foods like soy and beans, drinking enough water, sleeping enough.

my acne is mostly on my cheeks and lower chin area. my self esteem is terrible because of my skin.

the fact that im basically doing everything in my power and still not seeing my acne vanish is killing me.

ive been considering accutane for a while now. and i think im going to do it however i have quite a few questions i need help with anwsering

-like does accutane work with hormonal acne like hormanl cyts

-is it perniment

-if im using a treatment now will i have to sop using it while on acccutane

- if i start with mostly clear skin because i have been using treatments fr a year now is there a chnace i might not have an ib or have a less severe ib??

please help!!!

MemberMember
(@user463823)

Posted : 04/16/2015 9:25 pm

Hello (:

Just to answer some of your questions, I'd like to point out I took Accutane for 4 months, and now I am 4 months off. I did creams to oral medication and none of it worked, such as your case. So when I finally got on Accutane I was pretty excited. Accutane does cure break outs caused by hormones, I had hormonal break outs and mild cysts. From my knowledge it basically targets the oil glands in the body and essentially dries them up. Accutane is NOT permanent but it does stay in the body for a rather long time, even after dosage. I had some pretty bad side effects with Accutane besides the typical dryness. Also, a lot of treatments/medications are not compatible with Accutane so you may want to further discuss with your dermatologist your specific needs. Not really sure what you mean by your last question?

Also I'd like to point out I do regret stopping Accutane after 4 months instead of the typical 5-6. May face was completely clear after Accutane for 2 months, then unfortunately returned... I just couldn't take the side effects however. The medication raised my blood pressure, which in turn contributed to mood swings and anger. I easily got hot flashes due to the spikes in my bp, and would often get so frustrated I'd completely drop what I was doing and storm off. Joint pains in my knees and fingers began to occur, and I was tired most of the time. My eyes are still extremely irritated even after 4 months of being off Accutane. All of these side effects are thought to be due to the medicine (in regards of my dermatologist).

From personal experience I wouldn't take Accutane UNLESS your acne is moderate to severe, not mild. However, if you are to take it stick with it. I might need to start a second treatment due to my recent mild break outs on my cheeks. I wish you the best of luck, you'll do fine. (:

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 04/18/2015 1:00 pm

For some accutane is permanent. Or close to it. It's not painful, or terrible, if you can Deal with being a little dry, go for it. I'm almost on month two, and so far so good, got a new cyst last week but that's just my skin pushing all the bad stuff out. The only thing that sucks is dry lips and nose bleeds. And maybe some mild back pain

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 04/19/2015 4:01 am

i urge to do ur own research online ,,,,read all the good and the bad ,,,,,its a serious drug ,,,,you need weight in the pros and the cons and make a valid choice

dont jump on it too fast ,,,,,i hope you make a wise choice