Notifications
Clear all

Citrus Fruits Caused My Cystic Chin Acne

MemberMember
(@daohouse08)

Posted : 04/03/2015 8:49 pm

Lemons and oranges particularly. I started getting cysts around my chin area around age 22. It took me well over a year to discover that it was citrus fruits. I hope this helps someone.

Also, for anyone who has a citrus fruit allergy that caused cystic acne: does the ingredient citric acid also cause you to have cystic acne? I have been avoiding it for the past two months and I'm afraid to try it because I'm loving the lack of cysts!

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 04/03/2015 9:43 pm

Interesting. How long have you been clear for? There are a lot of people who have just one thing cause cystic acne. Like a peanut butter, or coffee. One girl stopped drinking coffee after 7 years, and BOOM! No more acne. It was cystic, too. My acne seems to be caused by most foods in existence. I'm only eating 3 foods now to stay clear, and am ordering a mediator release test to figure out just what foods I won't react to.

MemberMember
(@daohouse08)

Posted : 04/04/2015 3:17 am

Interesting. How long have you been clear for? There are a lot of people who have just one thing cause cystic acne. Like a peanut butter, or coffee. One girl stopped drinking coffee after 7 years, and BOOM! No more acne. It was cystic, too. My acne seems to be caused by most foods in existence. I'm only eating 3 foods now to stay clear, and am ordering a mediator release test to figure out just what foods I won't react to.

I started an elimination diet (started with eating only meat and vegetables, basically avoiding all common allergens) where i slowly started to add foods (sweet potatoes, nightshade vegetables like tomato and peppers, eggs, nuts, etc) back in. Then when I added citrus fruits back in, I immediately got three cysts within 2-3 days of consumption. I've been completely clear for a few months besides that one break out.

I found a thread where a few people had the same problem (cysts with citrus) on these forums, and I now join their ranks. It's weird, it never was a problem as a kid/teen, and neither was acne. But I suffered from cystic chin acne for like a year before I started cutting things out of my diet, a lot of trial and error.

Melloman liked