Notifications
Clear all

Facial Redness

MemberMember
(@scotty93)

Posted : 02/18/2015 11:36 am

This forum doesn't get used very often but hopefully someone sees this.

I am not sure exactly what I have. I went to the derm for other reasons but complained about Facial Redness on my nose/underneath eyes that I mostly notice in pictures of myself. My girlfriend said it's hardly noticeable but still... we all have our insecurities!

The derm didn't say much about it besides ask if it is worse at times or if it is very dry. I only notice it worse/dry after a hot shower. He came back with 2% Ketoconazole cream and instructed me to use it twice daily. I have noticed that the bumps that were there have diminished, but the redness is still there.

Here is a picture I took when I accidentally opened the front camera in my car and saw how noticeable it was:

I have read online that Coconut Oil and Tea Tree Oil could help. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry for such the large picture. Kinda scary! Haha

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/18/2015 2:06 pm

Hi - I do see some slight redness on your nose, but I don't see any redness under your eyes. I should say, I never would have noticed the redness on your nose in that picture if I wasn't looking for it. Tea tree oil will irritate your skin and probably cause more redness, so you should avoid that. I have no idea if coconut oil helps with redness but I really wouldn't think so, though using a non-acnegenic moisturizer wouldn't hurt. If the ketaconazole cream helps I would say keep using per your dermatologist's suggestion it until you see improvement.

Also, try to avoid taking very hot showers if you notice it worsening, try to take lukewarm showers or avoid putting your face in the stream of water.

MemberMember
(@scotty93)

Posted : 02/18/2015 2:42 pm

Hi - I do see some slight redness on your nose, but I don't see any redness under your eyes. I should say, I never would have noticed the redness on your nose in that picture if I wasn't looking for it. Tea tree oil will irritate your skin and probably cause more redness, so you should avoid that. I have no idea if coconut oil helps with redness but I really wouldn't think so, though using a non-acnegenic moisturizer wouldn't hurt. If the ketaconazole cream helps I would say keep using per your dermatologist's suggestion it until you see improvement.

Also, try to avoid taking very hot showers if you notice it worsening, try to take lukewarm showers or avoid putting your face in the stream of water.

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I have gone through some pictures and just snapped a selfie. Maybe the lighting was too good in the car?

Perhaps the first picture shouldn't count because I had been drinking. But it was one of the best example I could find!

Currently, I do not use any skin care products. As previously stated, my girlfriend finds nothing wrong with me, but since I keep bugging her about it she suggested that a toner could help? I'll look into some moisturizers as well.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/18/2015 3:30 pm

Yeap - I am so sorry - I still don't see anything. I am not trying to invalidate it though- pictures are sometimes tricky like that. Drinking can definitely make it worse, but again, you seem to have a pretty normal level of blush to your skin for your skin tone.

This is totally and completely personal experience, but in terms of toners, I have found that *food grade* rose water worked very well for me as a gentle toner when I was on accutane and very red from dryness. It will make you smell pretty though, so you may want to warn your girlfriend before trying it. It's important to look for 100% food grade, anything else has additives that may irritate your skin. It's typically very cheap online and at ethnic stores - Cortas is pretty standard, cheap but pure brand.

MemberMember
(@scotty93)

Posted : 02/18/2015 3:38 pm

Yeap - I am so sorry - I still don't see anything. I am not trying to invalidate it though- pictures are sometimes tricky like that. Drinking can definitely make it worse, but again, you seem to have a pretty normal level of blush to your skin for your skin tone.

This is totally and completely personal experience, but in terms of toners, I have found that *food grade* rose water worked very well for me as a gentle toner when I was on accutane and very red from dryness. It will make you smell pretty though, so you may want to warn your girlfriend before trying it. It's important to look for 100% food grade, anything else has additives that may irritate your skin. It's typically very cheap online and at ethnic stores - Cortas is pretty standard, cheap but pure brand.

Gee, it must be all in my head then since a stranger on the internet is saying the same thing! I was thinking that my girlfriend just didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Thanks so much. I will definitely look into this and try to remember to get back to post an update. It's sometimes hard to think to come back to these forum posts once everything is resolved!

Once again, thank you!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/18/2015 3:44 pm

Gee, it must be all in my head then since a stranger on the internet is saying the same thing! I was thinking that my girlfriend just didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Thanks so much. I will definitely look into this and try to remember to get back to post an update. It's sometimes hard to think to come back to these forum posts once everything is resolved!

Once again, thank you!

No problem, glad to help!

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 02/18/2015 3:55 pm

I agree with megtree, your skin looks pretty awesome to me and I can't see any redness.

I would also agree with her advice and suggest that you stay away from tea tree oil which may irritate/burn your skin and use the cream from your derm.

Again I don't think you really need to do anyhtning to your face but if you must maybe use the rosewater toner suggested or a gentle, non comdogenic moisturizer.

But seriously you look great!

MemberMember
(@scotty93)

Posted : 02/18/2015 4:13 pm

Thanks so much, y'all. You guys are making me feel great! :) Maybe after having acne for a while I still have those insecurities left with me. I will give the rosewater toner and maybe some moisturizer a shot!