Notifications
Clear all

Finacea Gel Helping To Unclog Pores But Now What...

MemberMember
(@spatzi23)

Posted : 02/02/2015 2:12 pm

Hi all -

First, a little background: I'm currently a sophomore in college and never had too much of an issue with acne except for a moderate breakout here and there until my freshman year. I began to have acne on my forehead, a place I had never struggled with before, about a year ago. I had been on Minocycline throughout 11th and 12th grade which worked great, but it was this time last year that I began to have some nasty side effects. I then went on Doxycycline from last spring until this past fall when my acne really became out of control. I began having cystic boil-like pimples on my forehead and deeply imbedded ones in my cheeks that were excruciating, tender, and leaving awful marks, some of which I still have. This past January I finally began a regimen of Ampicillin with the topical Finacea gel both morning and night which I've been doing for 2 weeks now. I've been finding both things helpful. Old cysts that I've had for months have come to the surface and healed like never before.

At the same time, my dermatologist also sorted through my cosmetics and other topical things that I use such as moisturizers or anti-scar creams. I have a habit of trying out lots of different treatments and in the past year had become really dependent on makeup to cover up the spots on my forehead. She told me that a lot of what I was using had high amounts of sunscreen in them and, seeing as I work during the summers inside and don't tend to be out in the sun a lot, they weren't doing anything for my skin but possibly clogging up my pores. I definitely knew what she meant - I have a huge amount of under the surface whiteheads and pimples on my forehead. Most are not visible, but my skin isn't smooth at all.

I then began my journey of simplifying my makeup. I now use a Clinique primer, a Clinique CC cream for 'color correcting', Clinique's acne solutions foundation which has salicylic acid in it only in spots where I'm breaking out and, if I need it, a bit of concealer for dark spots that need a bit more coverage. So far so good. It's a major step from only a month again when I was layering makeup on.

My only question is, now that I've begun a steady treatment plan of using Finacea gel, I've begun to notice those clogged pores on my forehead coming out and to the surface, a lot of junk I'd never even noticed before. Most of it is in areas where I had scarring from cysts, and I assume this is because I used to rub in anti-scar cream that was heavy in sunscreen every morning and night. In the past when I've used topical prescription treatments, I break out horribly and can never muster through the initial breakout. Finacea hasn't done this at all, but seems to be bringing things out without much redness or inflammation. Still, I can see a bunch of whiteheads on my forehead that I really don't want to try and pop in fear they'll turn into cysts or become inflamed, but I also don't know what to do about them.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do or have any further guidance? I've looked into peels but I'm worried what those might to do my skin, seeing as it's very sensitive to begin with. I'm not sure how to continue the process of trying to reverse the damage heavy makeup use has done to my skin through the past year. Will my pores un-clog on their own with my continuation of using Finacea?

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/02/2015 2:39 pm

I wouldn't pop them and let them come out on their own. It sounds like the Finacea is doing its job. I know how hard it is to be patient!

However, I'm not an expert in extractions but you could visit a qualified esthetician, I imagine.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 02/02/2015 5:32 pm

Before going ahead with other treatments ,consult your dermatologist,because as I can see you have found a good one ,good dermatologist are really hard to find.

You might want to do some reading about diet and acne ,that doesn't mean you have to go on a diet ,it only means that maybe eating healthy could help you with the skin problems ,also remember that girls go through hormonal changes,,I know it is endless for us women ,but don't despair and try to fix everything at once , your skin has to start healing and the draw out of cysts that were embedded in your skin is a good thing actually.

Take care.

MemberMember
(@spatzi23)

Posted : 02/06/2015 9:21 pm

Thanks both of you. It's hard getting through these first few weeks of it, but I'm hopeful in a month or so my skin was be a lot less clogged up. I'll try and sit tight and not allow myself to pick and squeeze like I usually do.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 02/08/2015 5:13 pm

That is usually the problem,when having acne treatments is not good to pick,I saw this when my daughter used the ziana and my son ,the differin gel,my son cleared faster because he never picked and my daughter experienced setbacks for picking.

I know it is hard ,but only push those that are ready and have a point because otherwise you will only cause more infection and inflammation, it is really frustrating but I have seen the results of not picking.

For us ,women is not that simple because we wear make-up.

Ask your dermatologist about a good make-up remover,something that doesn't cause friction on your skin and stick to light make-up.

Take care.