Notifications
Clear all

B12 And Acne?

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/16/2015 1:26 am

Hi, so I'm sort of confused here. I've heard people say that taking B12 vitamins (or having B12 injections) can worsen acne. Do any of you know why that may be?

I'm currently taking iron and B12 once a week and vitamin D twice a week as I've had blood work done in the past indicating that I'm deficient in these nutrients... I think the vitamin D is more weather related to me though, hence why I'm taking it more often atm. I was taking these vitamins on a daily basis in the past for a while and then had some blood work done afterwards to see if my levels were OK which they were... that was over a year ago though so I'm not entirely sure if what I'm doing atm is sufficient or not (taking these vitamins once a week instead of daily). Should prob get more blood work done again soon to check that.

But yeah, because I have a B12 deficiency I think I'd feel kind of silly to just stop taking it on the off chance that it's making my acne worse?... I guess I would just like to know if anyone on here has found that taking B12 supplements has effected their acne or not.

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 01/17/2015 10:18 pm

Was just wondering the same thing. I have started taking b2 and quite a few other vitamins and my acne has definitely flared up compared to what it was. Going to stop them for a couple weeks and see if it calms down again. Will let you know how it goes.

There's not many new factors in my lifestyle that I have recently changed that I think could be causing the acne except this but like I say will let you know.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/18/2015 2:01 pm

Hey, thanks a bunch :3. You're taking B12 not a B-complex vitamin right? I can't really tell whether taking B12 has effected my acne or not I guess because there were other variables for me, I was also on lithium when I was taking B12 daily and I think that's more likely to have caused my acne to flare up. My acne is getting better now though but I'm attributing that more to me not taking lithium anymore and having just started the regimen rather than taking B12 less frequently.

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 01/18/2015 6:29 pm

I'm not too knowledgable on vitamins so you will have to bare with me. It just says vitamin b2.

What is the side effects of you being defiant in certain vitamins? Anything major? Surely stopping it for a month or so won't do you any harm then you could get a better perspective on how bad it is for you?

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/19/2015 1:06 am

Ah, I think that's a different B vitamin then. Hm nothing too major for me, the most major side effect being feeling faint and when I was more anemic in the past I did faint a couple times randomly actually. Other than that mostly tiredness but I don't really notice too much difference in that whether I'm taking supplements or not to be totally honest... apparently I'm just always tired or something lol. I could try giving that a shot and see if I notice any improvement in my acne, I'm thinking I should prob get my levels checked first though just to make sure they aren't low as it is.