Notifications
Clear all

Over 3 Years Post Accutane!

MemberMember
(@nat808)

Posted : 01/09/2015 5:14 pm

Hey everyone!! It's been a whole three years since I've been on accutane and I just wanted to put up a positive post on here rather than one of those scary "post accutane" scare posts. They've even got me doubting my health so I'm just not going to dive further into that hole.

I had extremely severe acne all over my face, absolutely covered! I don't have any photos. Can't remember my old user name either....Anyway, I took accutane from October 2011 (I think?) to May 2012 I was in highschool, stopped attending class for about 4 months. I was on a very low dose the whole time. I think my peak dose was 30 or 40mg? I don't exactly recall the details to be honest.

At the moment my face is looking good, I had moderate acne the winter of 2012/2013 but that was due to stress. Not a big deal. I usually get a couple zits around my time of the month, few zits here and there on my back and also my butt!

In the time since I've been free of my severe acne I've gone travelling for an entire year across 3 continents, lived in a car for several months, did months of farm work in Australia and Canada, lived in the wilderness for a couple months in Canada. I've fallen in love, moved out of my parents basement, moved back into it, I've gone back to post secondary now, I've been partying, been depressed, stressed, happy, gone through drug binges/abuse, music festivals, throughout all different climates, dry, humid, hot, cold and wet, my skins been good! I don't really even think about it anymore. I haven't been the cleanest nor healthiest person out there. I will say though, that when I have expandable money I definitely eat good, organic, non gmo, non processed foods. I tend to get tired when i eat dairy so I stay away from that. WHo needs dairy anyways?

Here's an update on my health and thoughts post accutane

-My skin feels normal, not dry not oily

-I don't even wash my face every day and it doesn't make a huge difference. If I do I only use dove soap. Never touching face wash again! That stuff totally kills all the good bacteria off your face.

- I usually have a good level of energy, it's the winter time right now in Vancouver and I've been low energy. (Also school full time and work part time is zapping me of any energy I have)

- This last summer I felt amazing, I was in the best shape of my life, running 10km a day, picking cherries from 5am to 11am, living in a tent by a river. Brain felt good, clear. I felt completely grounded as a person, limber, no muscle /joint pain. Picked up the guitar again.

- I got severely ill when I travelled in SE Asia and since then I've had sinus problems. I actually have a sinus infection right now. I'm not going to blame accutane on that though.

- I do get brain fog problems but they seem to only have come up since that sickness in Thailand. And go away when I don't drink much alcohol and stay healthy (ie this last summer)

- Right now I have pretty bad brain fog, concentration issues due to sinusitis.

- In the 11th grade (before accutane) I sprained my ankle and didn't let it heal properly. I've had ankle problems up till a year ago. Seems my joints have improved? Completely dislocated my knee in 10th grade, it's doing great still.

-I've grown tremendously as a person since then. It's a given seeing as time has passed and everyone grows in some ways. But I've grown positively.

- my only regret was taking antibiotics for acne. I feel like if I hadn't gone on a course of them I wouldn't have gotten severe acne post antibiotics. DAMN THEM!!!

A lot of the posts about post accutane and the severe problems it causes like memory problems, hair thinning, anxiety, depression, IBS are all symptoms of a PLETHORA of different issues. Ranging from chronic depression to candida infection to In my opinion sitting in front of a computer and constantly bombarding your mind with this is only perpetuating the symptoms. In no way am I trying to come down on anyone with these issues.

Just my advice, look within yourself and listen to your gut instincts. Anxiety itself will cause hairloss and depression along with memory problems and lethargy. If you're stuck in a rut change something big about your life. Get involved in something, stop using the computer. And don't underestimate the power of your own mind ! Much Love everyone! <3

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/09/2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for sharing! Getting out there and enjoying life is what it's all about...loved reading about your travels and adventures! Wish you continued success!! :)

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 01/17/2015 10:11 am

Hey everyone!! It's been a whole three years since I've been on accutane and I just wanted to put up a positive post on here rather than one of those scary "post accutane" scare posts. They've even got me doubting my health so I'm just not going to dive further into that hole.

I had extremely severe acne all over my face, absolutely covered! I don't have any photos. Can't remember my old user name either....Anyway, I took accutane from October 2011 (I think?) to May 2012 I was in highschool, stopped attending class for about 4 months. I was on a very low dose the whole time. I think my peak dose was 30 or 40mg? I don't exactly recall the details to be honest.

At the moment my face is looking good, I had moderate acne the winter of 2012/2013 but that was due to stress. Not a big deal. I usually get a couple zits around my time of the month, few zits here and there on my back and also my butt!

In the time since I've been free of my severe acne I've gone travelling for an entire year across 3 continents, lived in a car for several months, did months of farm work in Australia and Canada, lived in the wilderness for a couple months in Canada. I've fallen in love, moved out of my parents basement, moved back into it, I've gone back to post secondary now, I've been partying, been depressed, stressed, happy, gone through drug binges/abuse, music festivals, throughout all different climates, dry, humid, hot, cold and wet, my skins been good! I don't really even think about it anymore. I haven't been the cleanest nor healthiest person out there. I will say though, that when I have expandable money I definitely eat good, organic, non gmo, non processed foods. I tend to get tired when i eat dairy so I stay away from that. WHo needs dairy anyways?

Here's an update on my health and thoughts post accutane

-My skin feels normal, not dry not oily

-I don't even wash my face every day and it doesn't make a huge difference. If I do I only use dove soap. Never touching face wash again! That stuff totally kills all the good bacteria off your face.

- I usually have a good level of energy, it's the winter time right now in Vancouver and I've been low energy. (Also school full time and work part time is zapping me of any energy I have)

- This last summer I felt amazing, I was in the best shape of my life, running 10km a day, picking cherries from 5am to 11am, living in a tent by a river. Brain felt good, clear. I felt completely grounded as a person, limber, no muscle /joint pain. Picked up the guitar again.

- I got severely ill when I travelled in SE Asia and since then I've had sinus problems. I actually have a sinus infection right now. I'm not going to blame accutane on that though.

- I do get brain fog problems but they seem to only have come up since that sickness in Thailand. And go away when I don't drink much alcohol and stay healthy (ie this last summer)

- Right now I have pretty bad brain fog, concentration issues due to sinusitis.

- In the 11th grade (before accutane) I sprained my ankle and didn't let it heal properly. I've had ankle problems up till a year ago. Seems my joints have improved? Completely dislocated my knee in 10th grade, it's doing great still.

-I've grown tremendously as a person since then. It's a given seeing as time has passed and everyone grows in some ways. But I've grown positively.

- my only regret was taking antibiotics for acne. I feel like if I hadn't gone on a course of them I wouldn't have gotten severe acne post antibiotics. DAMN THEM!!!

A lot of the posts about post accutane and the severe problems it causes like memory problems, hair thinning, anxiety, depression, IBS are all symptoms of a PLETHORA of different issues. Ranging from chronic depression to candida infection to In my opinion sitting in front of a computer and constantly bombarding your mind with this is only perpetuating the symptoms. In no way am I trying to come down on anyone with these issues.

Just my advice, look within yourself and listen to your gut instincts. Anxiety itself will cause hairloss and depression along with memory problems and lethargy. If you're stuck in a rut change something big about your life. Get involved in something, stop using the computer. And don't underestimate the power of your own mind ! Much Love everyone! <3

good post.

So.. how is the healing ability of your skin? i.e do you find it scars easily or leaves red/hyperpigmentation marks behind that don't fade?

I am 2 months or so post accutane, I did 20mg daily for 4.5 months.. at the beginning things went great, hardly and new spots and gunk being brought to the surface clearing the pores out. I think due to the moisturiers and spf i was using at that time, slowly congested the skin (under the skin type bumps, filled with a harder sebum plug, you know?) after 4.5 months on the accutane, i kept getting persistent headaches that wouldn't go away.

I took this as a sign to stop. However for weeks after this point all of those under the skin trapped pores became inflamed.. causing painful cysts or huge white heads that eventually burst. Needless to say, i have now been left with hyperpigmentation, textural changes to the skin, and still occasionally breaking out, however the redness doesn't seem to improve.

I question my sanity about taking the drug in the first place and wish i'd looked to natural alternatives or aha etc.

in your experience did anything happen to you like this, or if you were left with scars/marks/redness etc, did it clear up? if so, how long did it take?