Notifications
Clear all

Deep Inflammation Healing Process?

MemberMember
(@blackiron95)

Posted : 12/29/2014 2:07 pm

Hey guys,

So quite a while ago (~2 weeks) I had a deep, painful inflammation inside my right cheek (which is usually very clear). These come once in a while in different places, but my skin otherwise thankfully doesn't get whiteheads or blackheads. As it's making its surface, it's feeling (in terms of pain and size) better and better while looking a bit worse and worse (in terms of surface texture and redness). I usually put BP spot treatment on blemishes but since it was so deep, I've opted out because I've heard it doesn't help and have instead been hitting it with sulfur, which supposedly exfoliates and brings it up quicker. It's basically at the surface now and looks like a shallower but redder pustule - should I apply BP or sulfur or both if I want the fastest result? I also have glycolic acid 10% on hand, but my skin is not super used to it and I don't really want to risk more irritation.

My routine is basically a modified regimen - 5% BP facewash, BP application, and plenty moisturizer, and it's kept me pretty good. Recently I've cut out the BP applicaton to cut down on irritation during winter and there's been no terrible consequences.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/29/2014 2:18 pm

Hey guys,

So quite a while ago (~2 weeks) I had a deep, painful inflammation inside my right cheek (which is usually very clear). These come once in a while in different places, but my skin otherwise thankfully doesn't get whiteheads or blackheads. As it's making its surface, it's feeling (in terms of pain and size) better and better while looking a bit worse and worse (in terms of surface texture and redness). I usually put BP spot treatment on blemishes but since it was so deep, I've opted out because I've heard it doesn't help and have instead been hitting it with sulfur, which supposedly exfoliates and brings it up quicker. It's basically at the surface now and looks like a shallower but redder pustule - should I apply BP or sulfur or both if I want the fastest result? I also have glycolic acid 10% on hand, but my skin is not super used to it and I don't really want to risk more irritation.

My routine is basically a modified regimen - 5% BP facewash, BP application, and plenty moisturizer, and it's kept me pretty good. Recently I've cut out the BP applicaton to cut down on irritation during winter and there's been no terrible consequences.

Honestly, in my experience with these kind of deeply inflamed nodules, doing as little as necessary has given me the best options. I find that any kind of topical anti-microbials or chemical exfoliants only inflame them more while they are developing. To bring the nodules to the surface as fast as possible I find that applying heat intermittently in the form of a heating pad works amazingly well. Of course, be careful that it is not so hot that it burns or causes irritation. Warming a bag of dry rice in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds and wrapping it in a paper towel usually does the trick. I then hold the bag to the inflamed area for about 10 minutes, take an hour break, than again ten minutes, as often as I can do so practically throughout the day. This will usually bring the nodule to a head in about 24-48 hours. Once the nodule comes to a head, it's only a matter of time before it pops on its own (taking a warm shower can help hasten the process). After it pops and the contents are expelled more or less (DO NOT try to do this on your own, it will pop and drain naturally. Trying to squeeze out the contents manually is usually not a good idea), applying an antimicrobial like BP is appropriate to help with healing.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/30/2014 4:09 pm

I'm with megtree. I get those on my cheek once in a blue moon, and I've found apply a warm wet cotton ball or some other gentle heat source periodically has helped draw it out within 24-48 hours without scarring or irritating it more. You can also try alternating heat with ice, like you would muscle inflammation.