Notifications
Clear all

Retin A Micro Worth It?

MemberMember
(@rebelblackbear)

Posted : 12/27/2014 12:07 am

Hey y'all,

been struggling with acne for about 7 years. As for the past year or two, I would describe it as mild. I always have acne, mostly in the form of whiteheads that I end up popping (bad, I know, but irrelevant at this point). Ive been using benzaclin for the past year, and its helped, but skin still not as clear as I want it to be. I was prescribed Retin A Micro, and Im hesitant about using it. Im not sure if my skin is bad enough to go through the whole purge stage. Im conflicted between staying with how my skin is now, with a few zits here and there, then risk my skin exploding in acne for months due to the "purge" from the retin-a. Advice?

MemberMember
(@tfios22)

Posted : 12/27/2014 12:12 am

Hey y'all,

been struggling with acne for about 7 years. As for the past year or two, I would describe it as mild. I always have acne, mostly in the form of whiteheads that I end up popping (bad, I know, but irrelevant at this point). Ive been using benzaclin for the past year, and its helped, but skin still not as clear as I want it to be. I was prescribed Retin A Micro, and Im hesitant about using it. Im not sure if my skin is bad enough to go through the whole purge stage. Im conflicted between staying with how my skin is now, with a few zits here and there, then risk my skin exploding in acne for months due to the "purge" from the retin-a. Advice?

Hey there!

Don't be scared to give Retin-A Micro a try. Use it once a day daily or couple times a week. Apply it for a couple of hours then wash it off. Once you begin to feel comfortable around it, use it nightly. Applying it for a couple of hours really helps your skin ease into it, plus, the longer you leave it on the more medicine is delivered into your skin, hence the "micro technology". So when first using it, don't sleep with it on since your skin may freak out a little and be more irritated. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@cassidysstory)

Posted : 12/27/2014 6:06 am

If you want super clear skin, Retin-A is definitely the best option! I've had acne for almost 6 years now, and it's the only thing that's ever worked well for me. As for the "purge" stage, I didn't experience one (but my acne was so severe, it probably couldn't have gotten much worse anyway.) Even if you do have an increase in the amount of acne forming, it will most likely not last more than a few weeks. The only advice I have is to make sure you only use a pea sized amount for your whole face! But that's in the directions of course :) You'll definitely go through the super-dry-skin phase, but that just means the medicine is doing it's job! Don't hesitate to try Retin-A. It's super effective (though expensive.) Good luck!

MemberMember
(@rebelblackbear)

Posted : 12/27/2014 3:13 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it. Did using it that way help avoid more acne and the 'purge' stage for a couple weeks or did you get it anyway? Just curious

Hey y'all,

Hey there!
Don't be scared to give Retin-A Micro a try. Use it once a day daily or couple times a week. Apply it for a couple of hours then wash it off. Once you begin to feel comfortable around it, use it nightly. Applying it for a couple of hours really helps your skin ease into it, plus, the longer you leave it on the more medicine is delivered into your skin, hence the "micro technology". So when first using it, don't sleep with it on since your skin may freak out a little and be more irritated. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@tfios22)

Posted : 12/27/2014 10:40 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it. Did using it that way help avoid more acne and the 'purge' stage for a couple weeks or did you get it anyway? Just curious

Hey y'all,

Hey there!

I had quite severe acne to begin with, that I think it couldn't have got any worse. However, i did experience some black heads and very tiny pimples that went away within 3 days. Even if you do get bad purging, it is a good sign. It means the medicine is working.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/28/2014 3:06 pm

The purge with any retinoid is going to happen for many people that use retinoids so you're just going to have to expect it and prepare to be broken out for a while. No one can say if you will break out bad or not. The above advice is solid so do ease into it slowly. I started using it 3 times a week over moisturizer for a few weeks then 4 times a week and then every night under moisturizer. I'm definitely purging but its just a part of the process and you won't know if it will work for you unless you try it for yourself.