Notifications
Clear all

Retin-A Micro And Benzaclin Advice

MemberMember
(@rebelblackbear)

Posted : 12/25/2014 3:54 pm

Okay, so I have mild to moderate acne, mostly around my mouth and cheeks in form of whiteheads. I have very sensitive skin that gets dry and peels very easily. I was prescribed benzaclin about two years ago and used it sparingly, and it helped my skin but recently my skin has started to get not so good again. I went to the doc and was prescribed Retin-A Micro and Benzaclin again. What I usually do is wash my face with salicylic acid in the morning, moisturize with SPF, and at night use a BP/sal acid cleanser like clean and clear and most of the time benzaclin afterwards, then a heavy moisturizing cream because my skin gets very dry after the benzaclin. if I work out in the middle of the day I would take a shower and sometimes use salicylic acid and sometimes just water. Im kind of hesitant to use Retin-A, I don't know if my skin is bad enough for it to be worth it. I get some zits but Im scared of the initial purge and if I should just stick it out and use benzaclin. if so, I was told to wash my face with a gentle cleanser (I picked up cetaphil) in the mornings and use the benzaclin, and then do the same and use only retin-a at night. If I were to use retin a I would start by using it only a few times a week, so on the days I don't use it at night should I use benzaclin again, or a mild salicylic acid/BP wash, or just the cetaphil and nothing? I understand there is a lot here, but if someone could answer just one of these questions individually it would help me out so much. Thank yall so much and let me know if there is anything I can do to make it better for me.

MemberMember
(@tfios22)

Posted : 12/26/2014 11:58 pm

Okay, so I have mild to moderate acne, mostly around my mouth and cheeks in form of whiteheads. I have very sensitive skin that gets dry and peels very easily. I was prescribed benzaclin about two years ago and used it sparingly, and it helped my skin but recently my skin has started to get not so good again. I went to the doc and was prescribed Retin-A Micro and Benzaclin again. What I usually do is wash my face with salicylic acid in the morning, moisturize with SPF, and at night use a BP/sal acid cleanser like clean and clear and most of the time benzaclin afterwards, then a heavy moisturizing cream because my skin gets very dry after the benzaclin. if I work out in the middle of the day I would take a shower and sometimes use salicylic acid and sometimes just water. Im kind of hesitant to use Retin-A, I don't know if my skin is bad enough for it to be worth it. I get some zits but Im scared of the initial purge and if I should just stick it out and use benzaclin. if so, I was told to wash my face with a gentle cleanser (I picked up cetaphil) in the mornings and use the benzaclin, and then do the same and use only retin-a at night. If I were to use retin a I would start by using it only a few times a week, so on the days I don't use it at night should I use benzaclin again, or a mild salicylic acid/BP wash, or just the cetaphil and nothing? I understand there is a lot here, but if someone could answer just one of these questions individually it would help me out so much. Thank yall so much and let me know if there is anything I can do to make it better for me.

I've been prescribed the same creams you have, but, Benzaclin didn't turn out too well for me after a couple of months since my skin became resistant to the topical antibiotic in it. Retin-A Micro, however, has done wonders to my skin.

You can keep your morning routine the same when applying Benzaclin, but try changing your night routine. Wash your face with a non-medicated cleanser, one that isn't made specifically for acne (Cetaphil is fine), and wait around 15-20 minutes before applying the Retin-A Micro. When you have applied the Retin-A Micro, leave it on for a couple of hours then wash it off, then if you wish to, moisturize your skin. The reason why its best to begin this way is because it allows for your skin to get used to this tretinoin which eases the purging. Plus, Retin A "Micro", is formulated so that the longer you leave it on, the more medicine is delivered to your skin, in comparison to regular Retin A, which delivers it all at once.

Use this technique for around 2 weeks. If you want, you can apply your Retin A like this couple times a week, or use it daily. This would also be beneficial to you to do whenever you get done showering since you're able to apply Retin A then. If you decide not to use it daily for the first two weeks or so, on the days you don't use it, just cleanse and don't apply any Benzaclin.

After the 2 week time period, begin using it every night and go to sleep with it on.

Hope this helps :)