Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotic (Cefadroxil) + Accutane + Birth Control: What Time To Take?

MemberMember
(@elsies)

Posted : 12/23/2014 7:14 pm

All,

I'm starting Accutane tomorrow. I'll take 40mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Planning to take both doses with a good serving of fat; particularly, will be drinking a glass of whole milk alongside breakfast and the 40mg dose.

I also take my birth control in the morning.

My doc prescribed an antibiotic (Cefadroxil) with the Accutane to help with the initial break out. Any thoughts as to what time in the day I should take the Cefadroxil for maximum effect?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 12/29/2014 5:46 am

hello ellsies the antibiotic your dr. has you on currently cefradoxil the generic for duricef works well no matter when you take it. the standard dose for acne is 2 500 mg capsules daily. this drug was astutely given by your dr. to avoid tetracyclInes taken with accutane can be very dangerous.I took the cephalosporin duricef youre on now wIth my 2 courses of accutan also in 96 and 98 had to keep mentioning that to just get the medicine to avoid increased risk of scarring while on accutane post again when u have a chance good luck

MemberMember
(@elsies)

Posted : 12/29/2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for your reply! I did realize that I needed to take it twice a day, so have just been taking it when I take each dose of Accutane in the morning and at night.

So far things are going well. I have some stuff that's coming to the surface, not sure if this is an "initial breakout" since I suppose it had to come out sometime, right? It's only surface stuff and I haven't developed any cysts. I have no excessive dryness/body aches/fatigue. It's only day 6, but I'm hopeful!

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 12/30/2014 6:19 am

cool- your acne was just surfacing out.your skin should become better and better gradually. the big question will be when your course of the accutane and antibiotic are over how much of acne, if at all, will return