Notifications
Clear all

Got Cortisone Shot And Now I'm Depressed

MemberMember
(@krissypants30)

Posted : 12/11/2014 8:21 pm

Ok so I received a cortisone shot for 2 cysts that I have on my jawline. One of them has been there for a month and got really big. I got the shot Wednesday morning and it is Thursday night where I am and it has reduced it a little bit but the derm said I might need another shot in 6 weeks. Like fml I am realy depressed. I just can't deal with this anymore :/ sure I might be over reacting because it still might flatten some more but I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself if it doesn't. I feel like I can't do this anymore. And why is it I have to wait a full 6 weeks?? I've heard of people going in as little as a week. It's not like she used 10mg she only used 5 mg for my big cyst which I don't think is much. I'd rather live with a small dent then a big raised lump on my face :(

Anybody please respond something... Any encouragement/experience? They also gave me accutane but I don't want to take it!

MemberMember
(@mrska)

Posted : 12/11/2014 9:18 pm

Try and stay positive. I know easier said then done. You are not alone though. I'm currently suffering as well. I had a small bump the Saturday after thanksgiving that formed into a nasty dented scar on the bottom of my right cheak. It looks like crap cause I keep messing with it putting all types of crap to clear it up. Sad part is I know it will take at least two weeks to get better and I have an event to go to this weekend. Im to old for this crap.

MemberMember
(@al12345)

Posted : 12/11/2014 9:32 pm

Well I had this whole long reply written to you and then I hit something wrong on my keyboard and it backed me out and didn't save apparently. I don't have experience with cortisone so I can't help you there. I signed onto this site myself to see if I could get any new information on cortisone shots. I had researched previously but I got scared when I read people were getting ice-pick scars from them. I don't get ice-pick scars from acne (mine is cystic perioral), I get hypertrophic ones so my skin looks bumpy where I have had scarring acne before. So I didn't want to start adding dents into the mix. Someone suggested in a post I read today that the only people who get an indentation are people who would just generally get indentations from severe acne anyway, so...

I wanted to see if they could do a bunch of mini shots at multiple sites because I have about 8 cysts going right now varying in size from 1/8 of an inch to 1/2 of an inch in diameter. They are not coming to heads...they are just hanging out in large, painful lump style with varying degrees of pain and inflammation and they don't look to be getting any better day by day, some I have had since thanksgiving and they are only slightly diminished.

My derm(s)...since they are so difficult to get into, it may serve you to have two of them...also don't seem to grasp urgency of 'mammoth boil on face, need relief NOW.' Especially when they have already 'done something' and they feel like they are good for, oh, another six weeks, while you are suffering. IMO, the social implications and mental anguish that accompanies the "temporary disfigurement" of severe acne is GROSSLY UNDERESTIMATED and not treated with enough urgency, and I hardly think it is an issue of vanity.

My derm seems to have no urgency and I have had to call several times to try and see if they will even WRITE me a new script for Solodyn between now and when I can go on Accutane (not on birth control currently, so have to wait till menstrual period is over to even start, and then I can go in for my preliminary pregnancy test, and then get to wait another month until I can actually go on it...if you are in the US, you will understand this, but if not, you may not have such restrictions where you live). Anyhow, this is impacting my life pretty negatively and at 32 years old and 15 years of this, I finally am taking the Accutane plunge. I've read many posts, consulted three separate derms, and I am otherwise in very good health so I owe it to myself to try it even if there are side effects. MOST people do emerge acne free from Accutane treatment with only the standard temporary side effects, according to all the doctors I've talked to and I don't believe that all doctors are in the pocket of pharmaceutical companies or personal gain and thus only out to keep me suffering. Just make sure you are ready as I denied prior Accutane recs until now because I am finally thoroughly fed up and ready to reconcile with any side effects that come my way. It has an 82% worth it rating on realself....

MemberMember
(@tashadabest)

Posted : 12/12/2014 5:46 am

it is still going down just be patient. I had a cortisone shot done under my nose for a cystic bump and I thought it wasn't going to go down but it did after like 3 or four days. stay positive ! acne is something that can be cured! it is not the end of the world. I use to feel like this too but then realized that I am still beautiful even with the acne that I had! I used to think that everybody was just staring at my bumps and in reality they probably were! but as long as understand that your beautiful even with the bumps you will then accept your flaws! your face will clear! don't worry . I know you want results asap! ss I did too but eventually you just deal with it and get patient you'll start seeing results in no time! have you tried dans regimen ?

MemberMember
(@ccharms)

Posted : 12/12/2014 2:35 pm

I've had a cortisone injection once for a coalescent nodule on my cheekbone. It flattened it out in about 3 days, although the redness persisted for maybe a week to week and a half.

MemberMember
(@krissypants30)

Posted : 12/12/2014 6:52 pm

I've had a cortisone injection once for a coalescent nodule on my cheekbone. It flattened it out in about 3 days, although the redness persisted for maybe a week to week and a half.

it is still going down just be patient. I had a cortisone shot done under my nose for a cystic bump and I thought it wasn't going to go down but it did after like 3 or four days. stay positive ! acne is something that can be cured! it is not the end of the world. I use to feel like this too but then realized that I am still beautiful even with the acne that I had! I used to think that everybody was just staring at my bumps and in reality they probably were! but as long as understand that your beautiful even with the bumps you will then accept your flaws! your face will clear! don't worry . I know you want results asap! ss I did too but eventually you just deal with it and get patient you'll start seeing results in no time! have you tried dans regimen ?

Try and stay positive. I know easier said then done. You are not alone though. I'm currently suffering as well. I had a small bump the Saturday after thanksgiving that formed into a nasty dented scar on the bottom of my right cheak. It looks like crap cause I keep messing with it putting all types of crap to clear it up. Sad part is I know it will take at least two weeks to get better and I have an event to go to this weekend. Im to old for this crap.

Thanks to all of you :) I woke up this morning and it flattened a bit more but still needs more for it to be gone, I have one more day to see results so here's to hoping! The picture below shows the progress even if it was only a little

post-438795-0-01085400-1418428361_thumb.