Notifications
Clear all

Anxiety And Stress Making My Skin Worse...

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 11/30/2014 1:33 pm

So I'm a college student and naturally I'm very stressed out. However, this semester I've been more stressed out than in the past. I have been battling some slightly dehydrated skin, not really any flakiness, just excessive oiliness and then my forehead just feeling a little dry underneath. When I'm really stressed I notice I get that "dehydrated" skin feeling. I kept thinking it was my cleanser or something but I've been using it for about a year and had no problems. Also my BHA that I just started has helped a little. I notice it gets better when I'm focused on other things. I just need some help/advice in trying to get over being obsessed over my skin. When I focus on it more/think about it I feel like my skin gets worse. I get up many times in the middle of the night and have to look at my skin, hoping that it's gotten better. Like scars or hyper pigmentation has magically gone away. I know this stress is causing me problems, but it's so hard to just stop caring.

I just feel like I'm at a loss. For me, it's all psychological and I feel like there's no one I can talk to. Surprisingly, this pass month I haven't really had many new breakouts being that I'm severely stressed. The only major ones were about 5 or 6 closed comedones that were caused from a scrub I used (I believe). The BHA brought those out and I'm thankful for that. I just use the BHA at night as well.

I used to workout, lightly, but I have had almost no time to do that as well. I'm suspecting my skin will feel better over my Christmas break but I feel like I'll still obsess. I just need some advice from others who have anxiety over their skin and what works for you all in overcoming it. I feel like once I can stop obsessing maybe things will get better....

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 12/01/2014 2:21 am

Stress is really difficult to manage. I have anxiety and that doesn't help me out, so I haven't found a fool proof way to destress.
Though I do like to listen to meditations, or audios that say y'know 'breath in.. think about ___ .. you're floating on a river..' that kind of hokey stuff, actually does calm me down.

Stay hydrated, esp since you work out - working out they say helps people decompress. Focus on your upcoming time off!

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 12/01/2014 3:37 pm

Exercise, meditation, sleep minimum of 8 hours a night, use neutrogena oil free combination skin moisterizer and apply thin layer of milk of magnesia on face after washing and moisturizing to control oil. Problem solved.

MemberMember
(@kimchiimonsturr)

Posted : 12/01/2014 4:59 pm

Exercising, reading books, and listening to classical music always relieves my stress. I especially suggest read some books to relieve your stress. Reading isn't only an effective stress reliever but it's also the ultimate source of knowledge. Once you have knowledge at your disposal and use it to a burning desire you vision, then that desire will transmute your knowledge to it's physical equivalent ( success ). So READ READ READ! :D

MemberMember
(@iggs)

Posted : 12/01/2014 6:23 pm

Working out has helped me a lot with both my skin and my overall confidence. I'm a huge proponent of weight lifting, for both men and women, I think it relieves stress while at the same time making you healthier and promoting skeltomuscular health. Also I feel like sweating a bit and working out helps my skin, after a workout and shower my skin always seems to glow/not look red the next day. Also try avoiding staring at mirrors or just focusing on your skin. I sometimes forget that when I'm looking at my skin its super close up and in direct lighting, so it looks worse. Stress and acne are surely correlated, so try taking stress out of your life! Easier said then done, especailly during finals! Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 12/02/2014 6:01 pm

Thank you all. I really appreciate your help. I had been feeling really depressed today.. even had to go to the dentist and that just made it worse. She just prodded and poked me everywhere and now my mouth is so sore. Sigh...

I'm definitely going to start working out more and read some books that I've had on my list! Thanks for the suggestions again. :)