Notifications
Clear all

Makeup Advice For A Guy! (Pictures)

MemberMember
(@clearsoon66)

Posted : 11/23/2014 5:58 pm

Hey guys and girls

I'm looking for some advice regarding covering my acne. I am really clueless on where to start. I'll upload some pictures so you can see where my acne is at.

I've read around and I need a foundation or concealer, right?

Is it possible to cover it with makeup, it HAS to look natural and under no circumstances may it be revealed I use makeup, lol. Cause I know some girls that has acne and use makeup and it just made it more prominent.

1. Is my acne coverable with make-up, whilst still keeping the makeup undetectable? (I have mostly red marks, with and moderate actual acne, see picture)

2. What type of things should I use?

3. Brands recommendation? I have dry, flaky, sensitive skin.

4. Any of these brands good? (Mac, Bareminerals, Clinique)

5. Is it difficult to find the right shade? There is no sunlight at this time of the year.

http://imgur.com/a/dxeBA <- link to pictures, please note it's face shot of moderate acne. so if you are really sensitive, do not click)

Thanks beforehand, appreciate the help. PS. If you know any big make-up forum please shout it out!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 11/24/2014 10:18 am

first of all, I'm a female, and I'll tell you there is nothing wrong with you guys wearing cover up- this is a horrible disease and if some cover lets you get out and get your mind off of it, then DO IT.

you can shop on line if you don't want to go get it yourself- or go to one of the 24 hour drug stores (not in your neighborhood) and go in the wee hours of the morning...buy a few shades and test them at home, CVS will accept the returns.

I like the physician's formula line up- and for guys I think powder is the way to go... test a few things out and in various lights

good luck to you!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@clearsoon66)

Posted : 11/24/2014 3:58 pm

Hey!

For starters, I'm a 21 year old guy so I get your pain about using makeup to cover acne.

1) You can definitely hide a large portion of your acne, but if you use too much cover up then it will become obvious that you're wearing it which is not a good idea. I've actually been using cover up for awhile now and have never had it noticed by any of my friends who are girls (or my three older sisters who would DEFINITELY say something if they noticed.

2) As far as what you should use, one of my best friends is a beautician and she took me to a store and got me a concealer and a cover-up powder. And using those two things at the same time has definitely been working.

3) I have been using the Loreal true cover for both my concealer and cover up and they have been fine on my skin. I would say though that you should definitely not sleep with it on because that can easily make you break out, but I think thats kinda obvious

4) I've never tried those brands so I can't really comment on them...

5) I'm not sure about you, but I am personally pretty terrible at color matching, so if you have a sister or close female friend who you could tell about this, I would highly recommend bringing them to match the shade and show you how to apply it.

I hope this advice can help you! And trust me you will be glad you started wearing cover up once you get good at putting it on. I feel so much more confident when my complexion looks even and pretty clear (even if it isn't ).

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply! Yes I will practice before making the transition to real life, hehe.

What do you mean by cover up? I know what a concealer is but, cover-up, do you mean foundation?

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 11/26/2014 6:49 am

So I'm looking at the container right now and it just says "L'Oreal true match super-blendable powder", I'm not quite sure if its foundation or something different, but its just a skin colored powder that you apply with a little applicator that's in the bottom of the container.

yep that will work, get the shade you think is right, and then buy one lighter than that and one shade darker....just so hard to say until you get home...and again CVS will accept the returns of the open ones even

try it on and check it in natural light as well as indoors in bright light....at night you can get away with a mismatch

there is an art to applying it, just go light and practice....good luck to you- you can do this!

MemberMember
(@clearsoon66)

Posted : 11/28/2014 3:05 pm

thx to both of you, going this weekend, it'll be some trial and error but i'm sure it will be worth it.

thanks!

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/22/2015 6:16 pm

So I'm looking at the container right now and it just says "L'Oreal true match super-blendable powder", I'm not quite sure if its foundation or something different, but its just a skin colored powder that you apply with a little applicator that's in the bottom of the container.

It's just a regular pressed powder you're using, there are different kinds of powder out there, translucent (offers little coverage), pressed powder, loose powder, mineral powder and foundation powder... I'm guessing foundation powder would offer the most coverage and (pure) mineral powder would look the most natural.

Also cover up is just another word for concealer :3. You can use a foundation as a concealer if you like too though. This doesn't really answer your question very much either but in terms of a cosmetic product I think guys could benefit from if you have oily skin try giving blotting paper a shot, it's da bomb lol. And no shame in guys wearing makeup, having acne blows.

Oh and lastly your photo wouldn't load for me for some reason :/.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 03/05/2015 12:52 pm

I just bought Garnier Pure Control BB Cream the other day and I think it would also work well for guys too. It only comes in a couple shades so if you are super pale or dark it might not work but it blends much better than most foundations/creams I've tried so it doesn't settle into pores or lines which would make it look obvious you're wearing something. This looks pretty natural. A lot of makeup will look very dewy so it's unnatural looking but this is mattifying. I think it might be called Pure Active in some places and Pure Control in other places but it's the one with 2% salicylic acid. http://www.garnier.ca/en-ca/face-care/beauty/garnier/pure-control/bb-cream-light-medium

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 04/07/2015 12:50 am

Check your powder and how it looks in daylight when you're in your car. For the longest time I would only go by the lighting in my bathroom, and that isn't the most accurate light.

Also, you might want to buy a primer. This helps make your powder, or foundation last longer. Some primers even contain SPF, so that eliminates having to worry about sunscreen.

Ulta and sephora also have good options, and give out samples. More and more guys work at these stores, so don't be intimidated bc you're a man. All the associates love makeup and want to help anyone with their makeup concerns regardless of your gender. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@purr)

Posted : 04/08/2015 11:46 pm

I would say that you should absolutely not just use concealer or a tinted powder alone. I know for a guy that might seem ideal because it will seem like "less makeup" but it will actually be very obvious the difference between the covered spots and the natural skin if using only concealer, and powders cake to dry spots and look very obvious.

I think to get the absolutely BEST result, I would do this:

1. A light BB cream to put a trace amount of color over your whole face without creating a "makeup look" so the concealer blends in

2. A full coverage but blendable concealer with a brush to apply the concealer (you can put a much smaller amount on with a brush and still get full coverage). I HIGHLY suggest Amazing Cosmetics concealer. It covers amazingly well with only a tiny amount

3. This last step is essential. This will seem like a lot to you but I SWEAR this step is essential in making everything look natural. Put a small amount of "Make Up Forever HD powder" (or I think Loreal has a drugstore version, just must be HD powder) with a large fluffy brush over the top of everything. It helps to make any makeup look WAY less obvious and hides pores.

MemberMember
(@stillacne)

Posted : 04/10/2015 4:21 am

I am a guy, I've been wearing makeup for at least 10 years.

Generally, foundation is a the key, and toner is strongly recommended. Use concealer on the spot if necessary.

A key thing for guys who do not wish to look wearing makeup is to get the right colour. You might need to buy two colour for different seasons.

I would suggest apply toner after cleansing face, it helps closing the pore and the foundation stays better.

Then, apply concealer if necessary, only use concealer to over the red/dark area. Concealer covers the colour difference, but not the scar (uneven skin).

Wear the foundation all over, and even out. Be carefully with the edge... blend in to your neck.

What I do on daily basis: cleansing, toner, essence, moisturiser, sun screen, then foundation.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 04/12/2015 10:43 am

I would say that you should absolutely not just use concealer or a tinted powder alone. I know for a guy that might seem ideal because it will seem like "less makeup" but it will actually be very obvious the difference between the covered spots and the natural skin if using only concealer, and powders cake to dry spots and look very obvious.

I think to get the absolutely BEST result, I would do this:

1. A light BB cream to put a trace amount of color over your whole face without creating a "makeup look" so the concealer blends in

2. A full coverage but blendable concealer with a brush to apply the concealer (you can put a much smaller amount on with a brush and still get full coverage). I HIGHLY suggest Amazing Cosmetics concealer. It covers amazingly well with only a tiny amount

3. This last step is essential. This will seem like a lot to you but I SWEAR this step is essential in making everything look natural. Put a small amount of "Make Up Forever HD powder" (or I think Loreal has a drugstore version, just must be HD powder) with a large fluffy brush over the top of everything. It helps to make any makeup look WAY less obvious and hides pores.

Just a heads up as good as the MUFE HD powder is I wouldn't recommend it if there's a chance you might be around flash photography as it will show up on you in pictures but yeah, a translucent powder like that does look a lot less obvious than using regular powder.