Notifications
Clear all

Cholesterol Lowering Supplements During Isotretinoin?

MemberMember
(@ghostrider87)

Posted : 11/06/2014 11:01 pm

Hello y'all,

I've been suffering from severe acne since the age of 11 (I'm 18 now). Along with that, my family has a long history of heart disease. I've been on Isotretinoin 40mg for the past month and my cholesterol levels have elevated significantly. My lipid panel test before isotretinoin showed results that were borderline both HDL and LDL. I eat healthy, am not overweight, and I exercise daily but my problem seems to genetic...

My levels after 1 month isotretinoin are:

Total Blood (Serum) cholesterol: 228 mg/dL (High!)

HDL: 32 mg/dL (Low!)

LDL: 155 mg/dL (High!)

Non-hdl: 196 mg/dL (High!)

My dermatologist does not seem concerned at all! He told me that I don't need any medications to treat my cholesterol and that it would reduce after discontinuing isotretinoin.He bumped up my dose to 80mg a day and I worried that my levels would increase more. Right now I don't have any side effects other than dry, red skin. And my acne is starting to clear up.

Is it safe to take Omega-3 (2400mg), red yeast rice (2400mg), and Co-q 10 (200mg) to help reduce my cholesterol levels while taking isotretinoin? Has anyone tried this?

*All dosages mentioned are cumulative daily total dosage

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/07/2014 12:38 pm

Hi -

The reason your dermatologist is not concerned is that hyperlipedemia (elevated cholesterol) is pretty much a given when taking accutane. My LDL significantly increased, and HDL significantly decreased while taking accutane also. Research has shown that the hyperlipedemia resolves quickly post-treatment, and I can verify this as my cholesterol tests were back into their normal ranges within a month and a half of stopping.

That being said, I understand why you are concerned (some people do have to stop taking iso if their cholesterol increases dramatically). The omega -3's probably wont hurt (just make sure you don't get the Vit. D/ Omega 3 combo pills as Vit. D can reduce the efficacy of Iso). I don't know about the other supplements, but I would definitely double check with a good pharmacist.