Notifications
Clear all

Help With Really Congested Skin?

MemberMember
(@lisaj1298)

Posted : 10/24/2014 9:14 am

Hi all,

I'm fortunate that since going on Diannette, I don't get much inflamed acne anymore apart from the odd cyst here and there.

But I still have crazy congested skin. This is mostly on my chin where I have so many blackheads, closed comedones and a spattering of little red spots. It's frustrating that I've gotten rid of the worst if it but still can't get the clear skin I've longed for forever! It doesn't help that I have really sensitive, fair skin so any blemishes look really red, even if they aren't big or sore.

Can anyone suggest anything? I use Paula's choose BHA every night, along with tea tree oil. In the morning I use Clindamycin lotion. I usually cleanse with either sulphur soap or Liz Earle and use witch hazel as a toner.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/24/2014 12:34 pm

A monthly microdermabrasion will help to open up pores and get rid of dead skin that clogs things up. It made a huge difference for me and helped my topical meds to work much better. Well worth the cost...and it also helps to get rid of any scarring and discoloring.

MemberMember
(@lisaj1298)

Posted : 10/24/2014 2:54 pm

A monthly microdermabrasion will help to open up pores and get rid of dead skin that clogs things up. It made a huge difference for me and helped my topical meds to work much better. Well worth the cost...and it also helps to get rid of any scarring and discoloring.

Thanks for the advice! I've never looked into microdermabrasion, is it suitable for even sensitive skin do you know?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 10/24/2014 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm fortunate that since going on Diannette, I don't get much inflamed acne anymore apart from the odd cyst here and there.

But I still have crazy congested skin. This is mostly on my chin where I have so many blackheads, closed comedones and a spattering of little red spots. It's frustrating that I've gotten rid of the worst if it but still can't get the clear skin I've longed for forever! It doesn't help that I have really sensitive, fair skin so any blemishes look really red, even if they aren't big or sore.

Can anyone suggest anything? I use Paula's choose BHA every night, along with tea tree oil. In the morning I use Clindamycin lotion. I usually cleanse with either sulphur soap or Liz Earle and use witch hazel as a toner.

I have the same problem and it has improved a lot with the use of jergens all purpose face cream. It's a cold cream. I'd start with that before microdermabrasion.

If you choose to try it just follow the directions on the back of the tub. That's all I do. It will feel kinda strange at first but you'll eventually love it like I do now.

I no longer use face wash or any kind lotion on my face. The cold cream is all I need. I do wear SPF during the day though.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/24/2014 9:32 pm

I use this lactic acid peel at home. Just follow the directions exactly. It will give you real results far exceeding the low strength products you are using.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/27/2014 12:57 pm

Yes, microdermabrasion done by a professional is okay for sensitive skin. I have sensitive skin and do just fine with it. The key is finding someone who is a true professional and not some teenager at a salon. I have mine done at a laser clinic where the technicians have certification. There are two types of microdermabrasion. The old method which was done with particles blown on the skin and is considered irritating for acne skin. It is still offered but should be avoided. The newer method is done with a fine diamond tip which can be modified in intensity according to skin type. Both methods have suction which helps with removing dead skin and imbedded plugs. Microdermabrasion, especially the diamond tip method, it is considered a very mild procedure. I can go right back to work after having one. At first when my acne was more active it caused redness and some red spots, especially around areas where plugs had been sucked out but that went away in several hours --- not really bad at all. Microdermabrasion helps build up the dermis --- doing it over time results in really smooth skin with less surface discoloration. I've been doing it monthly for several years now and my skin is totally smooth and pearly in color. Ignore stuff said on the internet about it and see a technician or talk with your derm about it. By itself it won't stop acne but what it does is clear off excess dead skin and open the pores which helps meds penetrate and the pores to function more normally. My derm is an expert in adult acne and he swears by it as part of a total regime.