Notifications
Clear all

Considering Low Dose Accutane For Persistant But Mild Acne

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 10/22/2014 12:41 pm

Hi all

My derm shocked me when she suggested accutane

Im 41..breaking out since 38..on antibiotics and given numerous topicals and NOTHING works

I usually have 3-5 breakouts on my face at a given time and cant remember going more than a handull of days without a new blip

So frustrated I have been begging for spiro or bcp but she suggested a very low dose of accutane

Take for 6 mnths have have this behind me (fingers crossed) w/ out messing with my hormones and having side effects from the bcp and spiro which I would have to take long term

I have until mid nov to decide

so confused

my biggest concern is IB

any info..kim

Jenjen84 liked
MemberMember
(@tanna23)

Posted : 10/22/2014 5:30 pm

There are more than just antibiotics and topicals. You can try diet changes, herbal supplements, vitamin supplements fish oil and other options before trying accutane. You may also want to try combinations of oral and topical meds as well as other remedies you can find in the site's holistic section before you try accutane.

It has a lot of side effects and everyone seems to react differntly to it. You may have no side effects at all, and no IB, but you can't know that before. I'm on a low dose, had no IB but lots of side effects.

You should get a second opinion from another dermatologist. I don't know if you've had any changes in your cycle or anything that's making you 'beg' for birth control but if you have then probably see a gynaecologist. I'm also sure a gynae can put you on birth control if you just ask for it once you don't have any contraindications... Like smoking or previous heart attack. some women break out even more after they stop taking birth control. So might really end up being long term.

MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 10/22/2014 5:38 pm

Your situation very similar to mine I too got shocked when my dermatologist suggested accutane.get like1 or two pimples but they can get ugly and big :( but my acne is mild so I can be clear some days lucky days but I usually break out.i don't know what to tell you but be careful as accutane although low dose I hear its pretty strong.....still waiting on my final decision. Good luck xoxoxo-Jen

Also I'm thinking because I hear people still breaking out after accutane all that accutane does is dry your skin out right? getting rid of the oil isn't that the same thing as over washing your face what they asks us not to do? I mean after a while all that oil that dried out might eventually come back maybe even stronger? Just a thought.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 10/22/2014 7:08 pm

I should add Ive tried eliminating dairy//.gluten free...low carb

Ive tried zinc supplements B3 etc etc

I cant remember all Ive tried in the last 3-4 yrs

blue light stuff...u name it

Im just so tired but scared of the possible accutane side effects

Ive been to 4-5 different derms this past year

GOT a big fat NO to spiro several times...was told not bad enough and brushed off

Im done

right now I have a bandage on my face from a big cyst I stpudly picked!

Ugh

Jenjen84 liked
MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 10/27/2014 11:06 pm

Try to ice your cyst but don't overdue it or you can cause a freezeburn afterwards you can put cortisone cream but because cortisone is a steroid you dont wanna use it often because its bad but it helps. If your breaking out all over you can try ice to reduce inflammation then glycolic 10%

MemberMember
(@healthnut91)

Posted : 10/29/2014 8:07 pm

Hey guys (or girls), I was to get your opinion on something... I am a 23 year old male who has had acne since I was about 15 and have tried many things including extreme diet changes, otc and prescription topicals, b5 mega-dosing, etc. and with all of these thing combined I was able to get my acne under control, however I still have really oily skin and the effects are only temporary. If I cut out any one of these forms of treatment, pimples will form quickly. I was tired of taking b5 after 2.5 years and was worried about potential long-term side effects so I visited another derm. I explained to her the situation and she prescribed me doxycycline 75mg/day. I was uneasy about this because I don't like to use anti-biotics and I was worried of bacterial resistance, compromised immunity, temporary lasting effects, etc. The doxy worked pretty well but all that it allowed me to do was cut back on the amount of b5 I was taking/day. I still have to eat extremely healthy, use topicals religiously, and take b5 to keep my skin clear. If I step out of line there will be consequences. That being said, I really really want to try accutane because I believe it is the only thing that will keep me clear and give me a normal life back. While I don't have any active spots at the moment, it is only becuase of the extensive regimen I am following, which I don't want to be following for the rest of my life... So my question to you guys is that next time I see my derm do you think if I explained this to her it would be enough to get accutane? If not, I am seriously considering stopping the b5 or eating something bad to spark a breakout to help convince her that my acne is worse than it appears, which I really do not want to do because this is the clearest my skin has been in a while.

Any response would be appreciated!

MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 11/29/2014 1:27 am

Doxy works well but it was messing up my stomach make sure to take probiotic pills if you are considering accutane just remember the effects it can have on the long run really think about it best of luck

*and if your considering accutane.

MemberMember
(@en1gma)

Posted : 12/01/2014 5:30 pm

Hey guys (or girls), I was to get your opinion on something... I am a 23 year old male who has had acne since I was about 15 and have tried many things including extreme diet changes, otc and prescription topicals, b5 mega-dosing, etc. and with all of these thing combined I was able to get my acne under control, however I still have really oily skin and the effects are only temporary. If I cut out any one of these forms of treatment, pimples will form quickly. I was tired of taking b5 after 2.5 years and was worried about potential long-term side effects so I visited another derm. I explained to her the situation and she prescribed me doxycycline 75mg/day. I was uneasy about this because I don't like to use anti-biotics and I was worried of bacterial resistance, compromised immunity, temporary lasting effects, etc. The doxy worked pretty well but all that it allowed me to do was cut back on the amount of b5 I was taking/day. I still have to eat extremely healthy, use topicals religiously, and take b5 to keep my skin clear. If I step out of line there will be consequences. That being said, I really really want to try accutane because I believe it is the only thing that will keep me clear and give me a normal life back. While I don't have any active spots at the moment, it is only becuase of the extensive regimen I am following, which I don't want to be following for the rest of my life... So my question to you guys is that next time I see my derm do you think if I explained this to her it would be enough to get accutane? If not, I am seriously considering stopping the b5 or eating something bad to spark a breakout to help convince her that my acne is worse than it appears, which I really do not want to do because this is the clearest my skin has been in a while.

Any response would be appreciated!

Hey, its probably pretty late, but im currently on my first week of accutane, i too, believe the ride will be worth it in the end. If you are doubting, you shouod watch those accutane exp. Vids on YouTube. Really inspiring!

Jenjen84 liked