Notifications
Clear all

Did Using Pore Strips To Remove Blackheads Cause Scarring?

MemberMember
(@winfrost)

Posted : 10/20/2014 1:36 pm

My girlfriend had lots of blackheads on her nose that were there probably for 4-5 years. i thought they were freckles at first. We used some Biore pore strips to remove them, and afterwards she was left with lots of holes on her nose where the blackheads used to be. I also noticed enlarged pores on my nose that I never noticed before after I used the Biore pore strips. I feel mislead by the Biore pore strips and I feel really guilty and horrible for causing scars on my girlfriend's nose through my suggestion. Was there a way we could have removed the blackheads without scarring, or is scarring an inevitable result of having blackheads for a long time regardless of how you try to get rid of them? I feel awful that I caused her scars if there could have been a safer way :(. She is obviously still beautiful to me and I love her but I feel horribly guilty that I caused her to get scars. Does anyone have safe methods to remove blackheads and to minimize scars that are already there?

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 10/20/2014 7:58 pm

Hey! Aww, that's sweet. I thought my boyfriend and I were the only couple that shared the tender act of peeling pore strips off each others' faces.

How long ago did this happen? Is it possible that the skin just needs some time to calm down? Maybe the stretched pores will shrink down after a while. If it hasn't been more than a week without change, my guess is that this is temporary.

That being said, I stopped using pore strips because of how harsh they are. My face would get so red and it hurt to peel them off. I think that pain was the strips damaging my skin.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/20/2014 8:53 pm

either way it would of turned into scarring because of how old they are but yeah maybe using salicylic acid will reduce the look alot

MemberMember
(@winfrost)

Posted : 10/21/2014 3:44 pm

Actually I noticed her blackheads about a year ago, and got the strips so we could both remove ours and used them 4 or 5 times about a year ago. I just read online yesterday that the strips can damage your skin, so I remembered that after removing the blackheads there were lots of enlarged pores and i started to feel really guilty and sad like we used them too much and i damaged the skin on her nose :(. I'll try salicylic acid or ask a dermatologist

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/21/2014 5:49 pm

Actually I noticed her blackheads about a year ago, and got the strips so we could both remove ours and used them 4 or 5 times about a year ago. I just read online yesterday that the strips can damage your skin, so I remembered that after removing the blackheads there were lots of enlarged pores and i started to feel really guilty and sad like we used them too much and i damaged the skin on her nose . I'll try salicylic acid or ask a dermatologist

A blackhead sitting in a pore for 4-5 years stretches the pore. Removing it with a piece of tape (which is really what a pore strip is) is not going to cause scarring or even damage the pore anymore than something sitting inside it will.

There is also a genetic component to enlarged pores. I have massive enlarged pores on my cheeks where there are no blackheads, never have had oily skin there, and have never used pore strips. The pores there are much worse than the ones on my nose which have been filled with blackheads since puberty and used probably hundreds of pore strips on by now.

You, your girlfriend, and Biore did nothing wrong. Unfortunately sometimes a empty hole in your face (pore) is more noticeable than a filled hole. If you leave it alone, it will fill up again and look the same as before.

Remember that salicylic acids and all other acids ARE a form of burn to the skin. Doctors call this "controlled injury." Salicylic acid helps dissolve the sebum but it also mildly burns the skin around the pore and the skin inside the pore. The current medical consensus is that this is perfectly fine and the skin can heal from it, but if you're worried about inflicting damage I would be a lot more scared of acids than pore strips.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/21/2014 7:43 pm

Pore strips are very harsh on the skin. I wouldn't use them. As the previous poster wrote; just leave them alone. You will see they look about the same in 2 weeks.

Btw, I bet they are not blackheads, but sebum filaments. If they were blackheads, you most likely wouldn't get them out using those strips.

Don't empty sebum filaments, you can damage the skin. Also, they will just fill up again. Use things that will affect them, like bha. That way the change is permanent, if you keep using.

MemberMember
(@winfrost)

Posted : 10/22/2014 4:04 pm

when they came out they looked like little black hairs. are those sebum filaments?

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/23/2014 6:58 am

when they came out they looked like little black hairs. are those sebum filaments?

If they looked directly black on the skin, they were blackheads.

MemberMember
(@winfrost)

Posted : 10/30/2014 11:40 am

could her stretched pores have been caused by the use of the pore strips?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/30/2014 4:27 pm

are u talking in 3rd person ? this looks like your nose but youre saying that its your girlfriend for some reason as a excuse idk i can tell cause the mustache obviously

i already said it before if the blackhead was in there for a long time then no it isnt from the pore strip