Notifications
Clear all

Is There Any Cure/treatment For This?

MemberMember
(@bkaty)

Posted : 09/25/2014 5:50 am

Hi everyone

So a brief background: I suffered from pretty bad acne in my early teens but I only ever got it on my chin. I'd get loads of really big cystic spots all over but I never got them anywhere else and my cheeks were always very clear.

I went on a medication (I forget which) When I was about 15 which totally cleared my skin up. Then about 2 years later my skin got really bad again but it was a totally different type of "bad." I was no longer getting large cystic spots but my face was suddenly covered in huge pores (I always compare my face to the surface of a strawberry!) And just loads of little red patches and very uneven skin tone. It's basically just extremely bumpy and patchy. I've included some photos to show what I mean.

I'm 21 now and about a year ago, as well as this type of skin (like the photos) the cystic acne came back. I started on a course of roaccutane 5 weeks ago. I was on 20mg and am now on 30mg for 5 weeks then will go up to 40mg. I am noticing an improvement in the acne but I'm scared that te large pores and redness/blotchiness will never go away.

I have quite a few very dark spots that are under the skin. In the pictures you will see a brighter red spot on my cheek which is a scab from a spot but all those small dark spots around it have been there for about 3 years now and I have no idea how to get rid of them. When I try and squeeze them nothing happens..it's like they're buried deep under the skin! It sounds strange but I've never actually met anyone with my type of skin...I obviously know people with acne but mine seems kind of rare and I am getting worried that nothing will help it.

I know I am only 5wks into roaccutane so am of course not expecting miracle results yet..but from doing some research I am starting to get the idea that not much will really help. I currently use a Paula's Choice facewash and and the 2% BHA liquid, as well as Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Serum and a retinol moisturiser.

thanks in advance for any help

oh and I should also say that these photos don't show my skin nearly as bad as it is! I know this could look fairly tame compared to some but my skin has been like this for almost 5 years now and it's so frustrating and it's also a lot lot worse in the colder months. It's like all the red areas become 10x more red and bumpy!

post-413565-0-82432400-1411642106.jpg

post-413565-0-17078500-1411642114.jpg

post-413565-0-17216700-1411642121.jpg

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 09/29/2014 8:00 am

Bump

MemberMember
(@cardigan)

Posted : 09/29/2014 9:27 am

The Large pores are likely due to hormonal changes
Do you have any problems with clogged pores?

MemberMember
(@mazgan)

Posted : 09/29/2014 7:08 pm

"those small dark spots around it have been there for about 3 years now and I have no idea how to get rid of them"

u mean like blackheads? clogged pores?

anyways ur skin looks great and u dont have any serious scarring.

any redness u have will probally fade away eventually.

MemberMember
(@iggs)

Posted : 10/02/2014 12:12 pm

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with some of what you say Naomi4. I agree that there are a variety of treatments for acne, both natural/organic and man-made/synthesized, but your demonization of acne medications and creams is off base. Prescriptions are backed by EMPIRICAL evidence that support their claims, ie reducing inflammation, dissolving pustules, etc. Therefore for you to say that these medications "don't work", is refuted by years of scientific evidence and research done by people much smarter than you or I. As for the OP, I say keep doing what works for you, if you aren't happy go see a derm or skin care professional, these people have spent their careers trying to help patients, not just trolling the internet. Also if you think that this is all just a conspiracy to keep us all buying these types of products than I implore you to study other chronic illnesses, which is what acne is. It most likely will never be "cured", only very well managed, so well managed that you don't notice it. BUT just my two cents. Just hate when people denounce science due to their own bad experience with medications that have worked clinically.

MemberMember
(@jakitoy)

Posted : 10/03/2014 2:42 am

I am also facing this problem, I have acnes with pores inmy face that looks me ugly. And I think I would be benefited from this discussions. Thanks friends for sharing your opinion so thaat we can get the cure.