Notifications
Clear all

What Is The Best Linoleic Acid Source For Topical Use (Natural Or Product)

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 09/14/2014 6:12 pm

i heard safflower oil is for linoleic acid?

r there ny products, serums cointaining it too? can u just link smthn tht has the most of it? or is it better to apply oil

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/17/2014 9:58 am

Safflower oil. But PUFAs are prone to rancidity. Be sure to get a good, fresh one. And store in fridge. I buy Napa Valley Organics at Whole foods. Put a small amount in a dark bottle for daily use and put the rest in the fridge. Apply a few drops to wet skin or with we fingers to make it easier to apply lightly.

MemberMember
(@pm2)

Posted : 10/08/2014 3:06 pm

quote:
"Oils applied to the skin are readily metabolized, and investigations in which oils are applied to skin cells have provided insights into the role of different lipids in the pathophysiology of skin-related disordersincluding acne. Applying unsaturated fatty acids to the skin, for instance, almost instantly causes skin cells to take up calcium.7 This influx of calcium leads to abnormal keratinization in follicles and, subsequently, the plugging of pores, encouraging acne development.
Intracellular calcium also liberates PUFA, activates lipoxygenases (LOX), which convert PUFA to lipid hydroperoxides that are then rapidly reduced to lipid hydroxides, and, by activating perixosome-proliferater activated receptors (PPAR) in the skin, increase the expression of cyclooxygenases (COX), which convert PUFA to prostaglandins. These PUFA oxidation products further reinforce the conditions that favor acne development. COX inhibitors, applied topically, are routinely used to treat acne, and a LOX inhibitor, zileuton, has been shown to be effective in treating acne as welltopically and orally.8

Because of their bulky conformation, unsaturated fatty acids also reduce the skins barrier integrity, which leads to abnormal keratinization and clogging of pores, too.9 Saturated and trans fats are weak PPAR activators, not substrates for LOX or COX, and very long chain saturated fatty acids (with cholesterol) enhance the skins barrier function. Medium chain saturated fats, such as lauric acid, can worsen acne in some people by activating toll like receptors (TLR) in the skin. Sebum from pre-pubertal children contain more omega-9 fatty acids and less omega-6 fatty acids compared to sebum from adolescents when acne begins to appear."

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 10/08/2014 10:42 pm

There are lots of oils that are high in linoleic acid. IMO it's a good idea to experiment with a few and see what your skin likes. Several high linoleic acid oils like safflower, sunflower, and grapeseed break me out. The only on that works for me is watermelon seed oil.