Notifications
Clear all

Permanent Jawline Cyst That Even Accutane And Cortisone Shots Can't Help? Should I Have It Surgically Removed?

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/21/2014 1:03 am

I've had these cysts on my jawline that won't go away for 1-2 years now, and Ive tried accutane and cortisone injections (3 times too..) and it's always there. It's enlarged whenever I'm stressed out or when I haven't showered. There used to only be two, but when I took accutane, another one formed (which left a really red scar after my dermatologist injected cortisone into it).

I'm extremely frustrated. Can anyone relate?

MemberMember
(@comebackid)

Posted : 08/21/2014 3:24 pm

I have the same problem. I have this cyst on my jawline which I went to a derm and she said it was a cystic node and she injected it but I didn't really see much of a difference and it had been there for about a year and a half. I called today and the derm said it is probably a cystic fibrosis and I should go to a plastic surgeon to get it removed. Plastic surgeons are expensive so I don't know what to do. I hope someone can give some advice as well.

MemberMember
(@saraar1994)

Posted : 08/21/2014 3:58 pm

I had no idea that a cyst could be caused by cystic fibrosis. Does anyone know if this is true? I also have had a great problem with cysts, particularly deep ones in my chin. My derm must have inserted at least four or 5 cortisone shorts into those suckers. The swelling may be gone, but it tends to flare up if my diet is poorer than usual, or my hormones are especially raging. I still always feel a hard bump there, and when I asked my derm, she said it would leave a prominent scar. I had never considered having a plastic surgeon do it, but maybe it would be covered by insurance? (As long as you can prove it is from cystic fibrosis, or some other serious health concern.) Are you sure that it is an acne cyst and not a true, sebaceous cyst? The latter is a different matter entirely and must be treated differently, since the pus and infection filled-capsule feeding the sebaceous cyst lies deep within your skin, and doesn't respond to cortisone shots the way regular acne does. The only way to permanently get rid of a sebaceous cyst is to have the sac removed. You can watch videos of this being done online. I would try to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Did you know that cysts can harbor staph bacteria? If accutane didn't help resolve it, you may be looking at something other than acne. (Accutane works to bring the breakouts under your skin to the surface.) I can't imagine why if you took accutane you'd still have this problem. The bacteria in your skin shouldn't be "feeding" off anything enough to give you this kind of cyst, since the meds should blocked off your oil supply enough to stop significant sebum production. Call you insurance company/look online to see if this type of procedure is usually covered by a plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/21/2014 9:07 pm

I have the same problem. I have this cyst on my jawline which I went to a derm and she said it was a cystic node and she injected it but I didn't really see much of a difference and it had been there for about a year and a half. I called today and the derm said it is probably a cystic fibrosis and I should go to a plastic surgeon to get it removed. Plastic surgeons are expensive so I don't know what to do. I hope someone can give some advice as well.

Sorry but are you sure it's called Cystic Fibrosis? I googled it and that's entirely different from acne.. It's a disease lol.

Maybe you heard it wrong.

this is EXACTLY what i have. This girl had a severe cystic acne but mine wasnt that bad at all.. i had mild acne but I have that 'sinus track' cyst jawline that she mentions on this video.

Skip to 4:20

Edit: Actually, after I googled some 'sinus track' images, I don't think that's what I have lol, looks gross

Well atleast mine doesnt look like the ones that are on google, more like hers (very mild, not severe like the google ones)

MemberMember
(@comebackid)

Posted : 08/22/2014 3:18 pm

I had no idea that a cyst could be caused by cystic fibrosis. Does anyone know if this is true? I also have had a great problem with cysts, particularly deep ones in my chin. My derm must have inserted at least four or 5 cortisone shorts into those suckers. The swelling may be gone, but it tends to flare up if my diet is poorer than usual, or my hormones are especially raging. I still always feel a hard bump there, and when I asked my derm, she said it would leave a prominent scar. I had never considered having a plastic surgeon do it, but maybe it would be covered by insurance? (As long as you can prove it is from cystic fibrosis, or some other serious health concern.) Are you sure that it is an acne cyst and not a true, sebaceous cyst? The latter is a different matter entirely and must be treated differently, since the pus and infection filled-capsule feeding the sebaceous cyst lies deep within your skin, and doesn't respond to cortisone shots the way regular acne does. The only way to permanently get rid of a sebaceous cyst is to have the sac removed. You can watch videos of this being done online. I would try to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Did you know that cysts can harbor staph bacteria? If accutane didn't help resolve it, you may be looking at something other than acne. (Accutane works to bring the breakouts under your skin to the surface.) I can't imagine why if you took accutane you'd still have this problem. The bacteria in your skin shouldn't be "feeding" off anything enough to give you this kind of cyst, since the meds should blocked off your oil supply enough to stop significant sebum production. Call you insurance company/look online to see if this type of procedure is usually covered by a plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

1. I've never been on accutane before but I have used doxycicline and I suspect that that might be what caused it because before using doxy I wasn't getting cystic acne but when I started using it thats when I got some but then I just stopped it I didn't like the effects.

2. Also I noticed the area where I have the cyst is covered by a different kind of skin. It's like there is an extra layer of skin in that area that seems like it never exfoliates. I believe it I can somehow just shed that extra layer(s) off then it would be easy to bring the cyst to a head. Or if I can somehow just numb the area and pinch it with a pin and then drain the cyst out that way. Where you have your cyst, is the area of skin a different texture?

Sorry but are you sure it's called Cystic Fibrosis? I googled it and that's entirely different from acne.. It's a disease lol.

Maybe you heard it wrong.

this is EXACTLY what i have. This girl had a severe cystic acne but mine wasnt that bad at all.. i had mild acne but I have that 'sinus track' cyst jawline that she mentions on this video.

Skip to 4:20

Edit: Actually, after I googled some 'sinus track' images, I don't think that's what I have lol, looks gross

Well atleast mine doesnt look like the ones that are on google, more like hers (very mild, not severe like the google ones)

1. Yea I looked up cystic fribrosis and I'm sure thats not what I have thank God. I think maybe I heard her wrong but she said something like "cystic sybrosis" I searched that and there was no such thing so I just looked at fibrosis but thats not what it is.

2. I think mind are really just regular nodular cysts that are trapped under a layer (or layers) of skin. But I don't know how my skin in that area ended up that way because it seems as if it does not shed or get dry nothing. It just stays the same texture even if the skin around it is dry and peeling it does not change.

3. And I notice when I get even a small pimple around that area (which happens rarely) and I squeeze it (bad practice I know) it pains more and it feels like it is trying to burst out of some solid layers of skin. I don't know how to treat this, any ideas?

MemberMember
(@saraar1994)

Posted : 08/22/2014 6:50 pm

1. I've never been on accutane before but I have used doxycicline and I suspect that that might be what caused it because before using doxy I wasn't getting cystic acne but when I started using it thats when I got some but then I just stopped it I didn't like the effects.

2. Also I noticed the area where I have the cyst is covered by a different kind of skin. It's like there is an extra layer of skin in that area that seems like it never exfoliates. I believe it I can somehow just shed that extra layer(s) off then it would be easy to bring the cyst to a head. Or if I can somehow just numb the area and pinch it with a pin and then drain the cyst out that way. Where you have your cyst, is the area of skin a different texture?

1. Actually, when I mentioned the accutane I was responding to koons0789's post. I should have quoted him first to clarify. :)

I'm sorry you had no luck with the doxy, that's such a pain. I hate it when something as drastic as an antibiotic has no effect on acne/makes it worse.

2. Yes, I did notice a difference in the texture of the skin. It seemed as though I grew a thick layer over the area that contained the cyst. Even my derm called it a "double-chin." (Not very nice of her, I know.) I guess when a person develops an acne lesion, it's because the skin doesn't shed properly, causes the

follicle to rupture, produce sebum, etc. Hence, the skin becomes thicker when the lesion becomes as large as a cyst. Also that area is more prone to

blackheads and whiteheads, which I don't usually get. I don't personally recommend poking or prodding a cyst, that will always make it worse. The only

home remedy that ever worked for me was the alternate ice packs and heat packs consistently for about 4-5 hrs. My derm was surprised I got rid of a cyst

that way.

MemberMember
(@comebackid)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:22 pm

1. Actually, when I mentioned the accutane I was responding to koons0789's post. I should have quoted him first to clarify.

I'm sorry you had no luck with the doxy, that's such a pain. I hate it when something as drastic as an antibiotic has no effect on acne/makes it worse.

2. Yes, I did notice a difference in the texture of the skin. It seemed as though I grew a thick layer over the area that contained the cyst. Even my derm called it a "double-chin." (Not very nice of her, I know.) I guess when a person develops an acne lesion, it's because the skin doesn't shed properly, causes the

follicle to rupture, produce sebum, etc. Hence, the skin becomes thicker when the lesion becomes as large as a cyst. Also that area is more prone to

blackheads and whiteheads, which I don't usually get. I don't personally recommend poking or prodding a cyst, that will always make it worse. The only

home remedy that ever worked for me was the alternate ice packs and heat packs consistently for about 4-5 hrs. My derm was surprised I got rid of a cyst

that way.

When you got rid of the cyst, did it come to a head? Or did it sort of just vanish?

Was it a big cyst?

Did it go away within a day?

Sorry about all the questions I just really need advice this cyst has really been bothering me and I need to get rid of it ASAP.

MemberMember
(@saraar1994)

Posted : 08/22/2014 9:00 pm

It definitely came to a head first, no cyst vanishes without doing that. I could feel it deep within my chin, and it hurt to move my face, so it was pretty big when it came through. After that, I made sure I didn't touch it, and it eventually popped on its own. When that happened, I put a dap of benzoyl peroxide on it, and then some healing ointment, like polysporin or bacitracin.. I took a few days for it to go away completely, but it healed without a scar. I'm pretty sure I remember taking vitamin c to support my immune system, and drink lots of water/avoid sugar and excessive dairy because that essentially "feeds" the cyst and helps it to last longer. If this doesn't help, I would try a mud mask (don't know if your a guy or a girl, but don't be embarrassed by wearing a face mask if you are.) They are really effective at drawing out cysts. You can find some at the drugstore, or high end at department stores. Here are a couple of my favorites:

*URL REMOVED, SEE BOARD RULES, ACNE.ORG MODERATOR TEAM*

(A sample so you don't have to buy a whole tube.)

(Cheap alternative)

http://www.acne.org/board-rules.html

(Available at most health food stores. Mix with water. This one is really deep cleansing.)

MemberMember
(@comebackid)

Posted : 08/22/2014 9:10 pm

It definitely came to a head first, no cyst vanishes without doing that. I could feel it deep within my chin, and it hurt to move my face, so it was pretty big when it came through. After that, I made sure I didn't touch it, and it eventually popped on its own. When that happened, I put a dap of benzoyl peroxide on it, and then some healing ointment, like polysporin or bacitracin.. I took a few days for it to go away completely, but it healed without a scar. I'm pretty sure I remember taking vitamin c to support my immune system, and drink lots of water/avoid sugar and excessive dairy because that essentially "feeds" the cyst and helps it to last longer. If this doesn't help, I would try a mud mask (don't know if your a guy or a girl, but don't be embarrassed by wearing a face mask if you are.) They are really effective at drawing out cysts. You can find some at the drugstore, or high end at department stores. Here are a couple of my favorites:

(Cheap alternative)

(Available at most health food stores. Mix with water. This one is really deep cleansing.)

Okay so it has to come to a head. Thanks for the answers and advice

The thing Im worried about is that the cyst seems so deep and I feel there is almost no way that it will just come to a head especially since there are no pores in that area (it seems).

Is there a way to open it up safely?

koons0789 liked
MemberMember
(@saraar1994)

Posted : 08/24/2014 3:31 pm

I wouldn't open it up. One reason being that you are just releasing the infection that's coming from the source(the cystic node sac)so it would just be a temporary fix. For another, you risk the possibility of spreading infection to other parts of your face, which could result in more cysts. Sorry, but I really recommend getting it removed by a plastic surgeon, or a derm with cosmetic procedure experience. That way your stopping the growth at its source. From what I've read, it's often covered by insurance. And, in the long run, more inexpensive than multiple cortisone shots. Hope this helps. :) I am going to a plastic surgeon too, so I can finally get mine taken care of!!!

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/28/2014 6:51 pm

(Cheap alternative)

http://www.acne.org/board-rules.html

Sorry it's been awhile since I was here.

well my 'cyst' doesn't feel like it has a puss in it, it only has a bump. Maybe there is, but it's deep down my skin..

Accutane didnt work for these jawline cysts. I only got more because of it, and the one that I got while I was on accutane left a horrible red scar because my derm had shot cortisone into it and it bled for like days.. (it was EXTREMELY red 3-4days after he injected it..Idk what the freak happened).

So now I'm left with one cyst scar (i have a 'red scar bump'), and 2-3 'bumps'/cysts that are deep down my skin.. Just like you, it only grows in size when I'm stressed out/tired/bad diet etc.. Usually it decreases in size whenever I take a shower which is really weird..

I think I'm going to get incision on them.. im not sure yet

I don't want to get any more scars >_<

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/28/2014 7:15 pm

I wouldn't open it up. One reason being that you are just releasing the infection that's coming from the source(the cystic node sac)so it would just be a temporary fix. For another, you risk the possibility of spreading infection to other parts of your face, which could result in more cysts. Sorry, but I really recommend getting it removed by a plastic surgeon, or a derm with cosmetic procedure experience. That way your stopping the growth at its source. From what I've read, it's often covered by insurance. And, in the long run, more inexpensive than multiple cortisone shots. Hope this helps. I am going to a plastic surgeon too, so I can finally get mine taken care of!!!

Yeah, never try to pick out cysts on your own.

I had a fatal mistake of having a facial and having the lady extract what was then a week old cyst from my jawline.. it came back with a FORCE. literally -_-

but guys, try youtubing 'cyst incision'.. I saw some gross stuff.. lol

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2014 3:17 am

I've said this before on other posts, but I have had a couple of cysts that did not respond to cortisone shots. One had 5 cortisone shots and still came back. I eventually killed that one by applying prescription Retin-A 3x a day and Salicylic Acid 20% one time a day for a week. I only applied these products to the cyst. After a week it came to a head of pus. I squeezed the pus out. Underneath the pus was a tiny sebum plug. I pushed that out with an extractor. After that the cyst faded away and didn't come back.

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 09/28/2014 2:22 am

I've said this before on other posts, but I have had a couple of cysts that did not respond to cortisone shots. One had 5 cortisone shots and still came back. I eventually killed that one by applying prescription Retin-A 3x a day and Salicylic Acid 20% one time a day for a week. I only applied these products to the cyst. After a week it came to a head of pus. I squeezed the pus out. Underneath the pus was a tiny sebum plug. I pushed that out with an extractor. After that the cyst faded away and didn't come back.

How long have you had the cyst before? Mine is literally almost 2 years, if not it already has been 2 years.

I feel like there's an infection in my jawline, just like that asian girl on the video i showed you. I have now 3 cysts that never come to a head, from one to three. they keep growing around that area. I really want to just get them surgically removed. like incision

Edit: I heard Retin-A is like the equivalent of Accutane, but in lotion?

Should I have it prescribed even though I've already used Accutane and it didn't help?

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 09/30/2014 11:33 pm

Ugh guys so I really can't just let these cysts sit on my jawline anymore. I feel like there must be something going on that makes it spread that much. It all started from 1 to now 4-5 small 'no pus' cysts, even after accutane. Do dermatologists usually perform incisions or do I have to go to a doctor for that?

MemberMember
(@koons0789)

Posted : 08/23/2015 3:01 pm

BUMP.

Hey guys. Just wanna update you all.

Apparently it stopped being a cyst 1-2 years ago. Those bumps were actually keloid scars..

I have no idea why I've developed keloids on my jawline.

I'm planning on going for a laser treatment to treat them as cortisone shots have not worked at all. If anything they make them redder.