Notifications
Clear all

Enlarged Pores From Accutane?

MemberMember
(@k-lilive-com)

Posted : 08/18/2014 3:35 pm

I am almost 3 months into my Accutane treatment, and in general my acne has improved (though I still get the occasional pimple and get break outs when I'm on my period), however I noticed that the texture of my skin is just terrible these days. My skin around the acne used to be very soft and smooth, and the pores on my nose were bigger than average, but not as huge as they are now. Overall, the condition of my skin has worsened and it looks like the pores all over my face have enlarged. My skin is acne-free now, but it's looking really rough. Is this normal? I hear Accutane is supposed to shrink pores, not make them bigger. :c

MemberMember
(@drmcarthur)

Posted : 08/19/2014 5:16 pm

I am experiencing something similar with my treatment (80mg/day @ 6/8 months). Specifically, the pores on my nose are very large (mostly near the bridge) and the pores on my upper cheek are ~fairly large (but not out of this world). I too am more or less pimple free at this point but the large pores are a little unnerving. I would be curious to know if this is something that others, whom had eventual success, have also experienced OR if it is a sign of things to come. (FYI, I am male, 100kg, 25yrs old)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/19/2014 5:44 pm

I am almost 3 months into my Accutane treatment, and in general my acne has improved (though I still get the occasional pimple and get break outs when I'm on my period), however I noticed that the texture of my skin is just terrible these days. My skin around the acne used to be very soft and smooth, and the pores on my nose were bigger than average, but not as huge as they are now. Overall, the condition of my skin has worsened and it looks like the pores all over my face have enlarged. My skin is acne-free now, but it's looking really rough. Is this normal? I hear Accutane is supposed to shrink pores, not make them bigger. :c

It doesn't really shrink pores, but since it shrinks the sebaceous gland (which is part of pilosebaceous unit, which includes the pore + gland), it can make them look smaller.

However the "orange peel texture" you are describing appears to be a common side effect of both Accutane and Retin-A products. Not really sure why. Some people get it and some people don't. There's not a whole lot you can do about it once it happens.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 08/19/2014 8:25 pm

yeah im getting that too unfortunately...really sucks

MemberMember
(@k-lilive-com)

Posted : 08/20/2014 1:05 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my dosage and such in the OP - don't know if that matters, but I have been and will be on 40mg my whole course, and I am 20, 43kg female.

It doesn't really shrink pores, but since it shrinks the sebaceous gland (which is part of pilosebaceous unit, which includes the pore + gland), it can make them look smaller.

However the "orange peel texture" you are describing appears to be a common side effect of both Accutane and Retin-A products. Not really sure why. Some people get it and some people don't. There's not a whole lot you can do about it once it happens.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 08/20/2014 11:57 am

i think it will be permanent