Notifications
Clear all

My Skin Is Suddenly Oiler Than Usual!

MemberMember
(@quintin0407)

Posted : 08/17/2014 7:09 pm

I am a 22-year old male and I have suffered from acne since I was 15 years old. In recent years, the acne has been fairly mild and I have been able to control breakouts with use of 2.5% BP and a moisturizer that I use twice a day. I recently moved to a new city to begin a new job. During the six weeks that I have been here, my skin has become oilier than it was in the past and my breakouts have been more severe. Most of my breakouts are stubborn bouts of jawline cystic acne.

I have noticed that after I wash my face, my skin is unusually very dry and then a few hours afterward, my skin is pretty much an oil slick. I have tried applying less BP and more moisturizer but nothing seems to help. I am considering only applying BP once a day, but I'm not sure about what I should apply to my face when I'm not using BP.

I have been told that it may be that I am outgrowing the need for BP and that it is disrupting the natural balance of my skin causing it to overcompensate with more oil. Does anyone have any suggestions for me from past experience?

Also, an added bit of information: I installed a chlorine filter to my shower just in case the problem may be caused by the added chemicals that are present in urban water supplies.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/18/2014 2:21 am

What you need is to reset your skin's natural sebum production. This means kicking the moisturizer, and the BP that's causing oil rebound.

Are you using a medicated cleanser in the shower? If you're using bar soap or anything that lathers, switch to a soap-free salicylic wash or sulfur/zinc bar soap.

Use a toner after the shower, either salicylic or apple cider vinegar.

If you need something on your face during the day, I can't recommend Radiant MSM/Bromelain cream enough, but you don't necessarily need anything. Tea tree and manuka honey oil both have antiseptic properties (I recommend a serum as opposed to undiluted oil.)

How is your vitamin D intake?

MemberMember
(@daynecarter)

Posted : 08/18/2014 5:47 pm

What you need is to reset your skin's natural sebum production. This means kicking the moisturizer, and the BP that's causing oil rebound.

Are you using a medicated cleanser in the shower? If you're using bar soap or anything that lathers, switch to a soap-free salicylic wash or sulfur/zinc bar soap.

Use a toner after the shower, either salicylic or apple cider vinegar.

If you need something on your face during the day, I can't recommend Radiant MSM/Bromelain cream enough, but you don't necessarily need anything. Tea tree and manuka honey oil both have antiseptic properties (I recommend a serum as opposed to undiluted oil.)

How is your vitamin D intake? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/325195-vitamin-d-has-cured-me-of-oily-skin-and-acne/

moisturzers lead to oily skin??

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/18/2014 6:08 pm

moisturzers lead to oily skin??

Yes. Adding moisture to moist skin leads to more moisture, particularly when it's a "moisturizer," which are chemical compounds that contain waxes that seal your natural sebum in (the opposite of good for acne.)

If you're oily and have acne, the best course of action is to unroof the acne chemically (AHA/BHA/enzymes) and absorb excess oil with a clay or sulfur mask.

If you're having to use BP to dry out the excessively oily environment you created with moisturizer, cut out the middle man and let the BP do its job, until the day you no longer need the BP or if the BP makes things worse.

Amazing how acne treatments can make the condition they're supposed to be treating worse.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 08/18/2014 8:25 pm

but if you use bp without a moisturizer your face will get red , dry and look dull o.o ?

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/18/2014 11:39 pm

but if you use bp without a moisturizer your face will get red , dry and look dull o.o ?

If it does, then you stop the BP and start a few days of light moisture alone and see how your face reacts.

I call this 'listening to your skin.' If your face is thirsty, give it moisture, in the form of a serum or hydrating mask, not a layer of wax.

You should never put BP on your entire face, anyway. That said, Proactiv's Repairing Lotion (BP-based) never made my face dull- it was very softening, and the little bit of redness looked more like a healthy glow. I never needed a moisturizer on Proactiv.

The idea that all skin needs a moisturizer is a myth perpetuated by the beauty industry. Eczema, sebborheic dermatitis, and mature skin need moisture. Dry acne needs moisture, but if the acne is only dry because of BP, it's time to switch active ingredients-- and to only use aloe, hyaluronic acid, vitamin serums as moisture, since "moisturizers" only sit on top of the skin.

MemberMember
(@quintin0407)

Posted : 08/28/2014 11:40 am

My vitamin D intake is sufficient. I drink 1% milk every morning. I use a gentle tea tree oil soap twice a day on my face. I take a zinc and a fish oil supplement everyday.I'm seriously considering stopping all medication to let my skin reset. It is puzzling that the acne is usually only around my jaw. I've been told that could be hormonal?

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/28/2014 12:39 pm

theres a solution

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/28/2014 4:52 pm

My vitamin D intake is sufficient. I drink 1% milk every morning. I use a gentle tea tree oil soap twice a day on my face. I take a zinc and a fish oil supplement everyday.

I'm seriously considering stopping all medication to let my skin reset. It is puzzling that the acne is usually only around my jaw. I've been told that could be hormonal?

Are you male or female?

MemberMember
(@quintin0407)

Posted : 08/28/2014 4:56 pm

I'm male

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/28/2014 5:30 pm

The location of your acne would indicated that it is hormonal, even more so I your acne is usually in those areas like mouth, chin, and jaw line. It's also possible that your acne is related to shaving. Since those areas are the exact areas you shave your face. If your shave that is. Here is a link to a really great post about hormonal acne for men and women. Take a look at it and by the end you will better understand hormonal acne and treatments that are safe for men. I use Spirolactone but that is only safe for women. It cleared me up wonderfully and has for 16 months, there is a topical Spirolactone that is safe for men and women to use. Something you should really consider.