Notifications
Clear all

How Long Do You Have To Wait For 2Nd Course Of Accutane

MemberMember
(@genesys)

Posted : 08/06/2014 4:01 pm

I finished my first course of accutane 2 months ago. I wasnt on a large enough cumulative dosage (1.2mg per kg) over the 6 month period and I started breaking out after days of coming off the treatment. I went to see my derm who said she cannot prescribe me with a second course until 12 months have lapsed. she said this was according to the british association of dermatologists legal rules!

obviously im very disappointed as the topicals arent working.

does anyone know if what she said is true?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/06/2014 9:09 pm

Most doctors won't prescribe again for a year, I assume what she is telling you is true. Although I am in the US. Taking a course this soon after your last course is a lot of the drug in your body. Even if you weren't on a high enough dosage to begin with..

If you don't mind me asking, what was your dosages and how long were you taking Accutane?

I was on Accutane for just under 8 months. My course was 40mg, 40mg, 60mg, 60mg, 60mg 60mg, 40mg

I'm a female and weigh 151lbs. I was close with a group of girls on here at the time and we were all taking Accutane and swapping logs.

There were ladies that weigh 105 and were taking 80mg the whole course and did a 6 to 7 month course. So it's really all at your dermatologist recommendation.

MemberMember
(@genesys)

Posted : 08/11/2014 2:57 pm

Wow you took a lot more than me. I took 30mg, 30mg, 50mg, 50mg and then 60mg and 60mg! It equates to 1,2mg per kg.

I really think a year to wait is too long. I haven't come across anything that explains the science behind waiting this long. You can even get scar surgery after 6 months! I just don't want to have to use benzoyl peroxide forever to control my breakouts, as it's really strong stuff that does not do your complexion any favours if you use it for years on end.

MemberMember
(@trollunderthebridge)

Posted : 08/11/2014 8:01 pm

I guess I can't say what the rules are for another country, but I know here in the US it's a minimum of 6 months between courses. I started my second course exactly 6 months after my first one ended, so I know this to be true.

You could research it. Call a few different derm offices and ask. You should be able to get your answer fairly quickly.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/11/2014 9:00 pm

Wow you took a lot more than me. I took 30mg, 30mg, 50mg, 50mg and then 60mg and 60mg! It equates to 1,2mg per kg.

I really think a year to wait is too long. I haven't come across anything that explains the science behind waiting this long. You can even get scar surgery after 6 months! I just don't want to have to use benzoyl peroxide forever to control my breakouts, as it's really strong stuff that does not do your complexion any favours if you use it for years on end.

It might be a long wait, but having that much Vitamin A in your body in such a short amount of time will do serious damage. You have to understand it's poisoning your body. Its first purpose was for chemotherapy.