Notifications
Clear all

Recommendations Of Derm/ps For Acne Scarring In Nyc (East Asian Skin)?

MemberMember
(@silverspoon)

Posted : 08/04/2014 1:54 pm

Hi,

I'll be moving to NYC next month and I'm looking for a new dermatologist or plastic surgeon for improving my acne scars. In the past I've done 8 treatments similar to the Fraxel:Restore. I haven't done anything over the summer due to sun exposure, but looking to continue again once Fall rolls around!

I was wondering if anyone on the forum who lives in NYC has recommendations?

I've done some research and a couple of doctors who seem promising include:

I am of East Asian descent and was wondering if anybody here has had good or bad stories about the doctors above (or any doctors in NYC, for that matter!).

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/04/2014 2:26 pm

Not really impressed with any of them. Only Dr. Yang focuses on acne scar treatments. The other ones are not great and they will most likely push lasers on you again. As for anyone to totally avoid, do not go to Dr. Channing Barnett.

MemberMember
(@silverspoon)

Posted : 08/04/2014 6:43 pm

Not really impressed with any of them. Only Dr. Yang focuses on acne scar treatments. The other ones are not great and they will most likely push lasers on you again. As for anyone to totally avoid, do not go to Dr. Channing Barnett.

Do you live in NYC? If so which doctors have you looked at or gone to?

I was considering either doing subcision and/or Fraxel:Restore combination.

Since I'm East Asian a lot of doctors that I've been to in Canada have recommended against Fraxel:Repair and similar aggressive lasers for fear of hyperpigmentation.

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 08/05/2014 10:37 am

I've been to Eric Schweiger and he jus tried to push the laser on me. I was looking at Ron shelton myself as he has good reviews if i do decide to visit him i will let you know how it went

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/05/2014 1:26 pm

Ron Shelton and Yang are the only real plastic surgeons in that group. Eric Schweiger uses the Mixto laser, but made up a name for it called FAST and is marketing it as something unique and innovative for acne scars. All he's doing is spot treating scars with the laser. I do not think highly of doctors who create stupid names in order to market to a clueless general public. Rokshar is more of a cosmetic derm guy, and I would consider him an intellectual light weight in terms of scarring.

MemberMember
(@silverspoon)

Posted : 08/09/2014 12:30 am

Ron Shelton and Yang are the only real plastic surgeons in that group. Eric Schweiger uses the Mixto laser, but made up a name for it called FAST and is marketing it as something unique and innovative for acne scars. All he's doing is spot treating scars with the laser. I do not think highly of doctors who create stupid names in order to market to a clueless general public. Rokshar is more of a cosmetic derm guy, and I would consider him an intellectual light weight in terms of scarring.

I'm not sure if my skin can handle something as aggressive as Mixto. I don't want to risk severe hyperpigmentation.

Have you gone to any doctors in NYC blahblah82?

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 08/11/2014 7:38 pm

what about Dr.Paul Jarrod Frank did anybody ever have a visit with him?

MemberMember
(@silverspoon)

Posted : 08/21/2014 1:19 am

Bump for more recommendations/reviews from NYC users here!

MemberMember
(@silverspoon)

Posted : 09/07/2014 8:00 pm

Bump!

MemberMember
(@silverspoon)

Posted : 09/28/2014 8:01 pm

Now that I'm about settled in, I'm really looking! Any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@chrissyc)

Posted : 10/01/2014 9:33 am

what about Dr.Paul Jarrod Frank did anybody ever have a visit with him?

I went to him twice. Traveled from CT to visit him. He's got a great "bedside" manner and is very charming. However, not sure his treatment plan helped much. I went to him initially for silicone mocrodroplet. Had two sessions for my deepest scars. Did NOTHING. He had said I'd see immediate improvement. Also did a pass of fraxel on my cheeks. Meh.

I ran out of money and out of patience for the commute into NYC. Maybe if I had more of both...

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 10/02/2014 4:31 am

BlahBlahBlah, Why do you not recommend Dr. Channing Barnett? She seems to have high reviews on Realself and pictures on her website showing the Micro-droplet(Silicon 1000) procedure before & after Acne Scar sufferers seem to be very impressive if you take a look. Is it do to the high risk of Silikon 1000 that it's permanent procedure and can migrate once a person gets older?

Have you read any negative reviews on her regarding this procedure as I know you're right it does carry risk as most Dermatologists don't offer it.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 10/02/2014 8:59 am

All I'm saying is that I have personally spoken with people who have had complications with her, namely lumps and overcorrection. Also, if you look closely at the pics, a lot of those are patients of her father before he handed the practice over to her. My sense is that she is heavy-handed and not skilled. If you dig around on Realself, you will see those negative reviews, unless they've been removed.

MemberMember
(@waitingforacure)

Posted : 10/02/2014 9:50 pm

check out Dr. Steven Victor..

performs Fat Sculpting Face Lift with SVF Cells which can improve scars..i might be seeing him in the near future

This post was modified 9 months ago by Ishayat
MemberMember
(@nycgirliepop)

Posted : 07/15/2023 9:58 am

Posted by: @silverspoon

Hi,

I'll be moving to NYC next month and I'm looking for a new dermatologist or plastic surgeon for improving my acne scars. In the past I've done 8 treatments similar to the Fraxel:Restore. I haven't done anything over the summer due to sun exposure, but looking to continue again once Fall rolls around!

I was wondering if anyone on the forum who lives in NYC has recommendations?

I've done some research and a couple of doctors who seem promising include:

I am of East Asian descent and was wondering if anybody here has had good or bad stories about the doctors above (or any doctors in NYC, for that matter!).

Thanks!