Notifications
Clear all

Can I highlight my hair while on Accutane

MemberMember
(@msdominatus)

Posted : 11/01/2004 12:30 pm

I start my treatment today on 40 mgs twice a day. On Saturday - I have a hair appt and im getting both highlights and lowlights... does anyone have any experience with this? Is this safe to do while on 'tane? It wil have been only 6 days on it.. but still... im worried. AND, in dire need of getting my hair done.

MemberMember
(@arpazia)

Posted : 11/01/2004 1:47 pm

Personally, I don't see having highlights being too much of an issue. I would however, start deep conditioning now and taking really good care of your hair afterwards since Accutane can cause hairloss and so can getting highlights. If you don't feel safe highlighting while on Accutane, you might want to wait until after your appointment before begining your course. In all honesty, I don't think is going to make a difference since the course of Accutane and the highlights are in such close proximity to each other.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@guardedlyoptimistic)

Posted : 11/01/2004 3:17 pm

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to highlight your hair??? I'm on tane too and want to get it highlighted. The only thing holding me back is the $$$.

Now, don't pull your hair out though. That would cause some permanent damage. And, no waxing!

MemberMember
(@msdominatus)

Posted : 11/01/2004 5:06 pm

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to highlight your hair??? I'm on tane too and want to get it highlighted. The only thing holding me back is the $$$.

Now, don't pull your hair out though. That would cause some permanent damage. And, no waxing!

MemberMember
(@arpazia)

Posted : 11/01/2004 5:10 pm

I tweeze. GO tweezes. We all tweeze for "beauty!"

(in other words: yes, you can. yes, I do. no, nothing negative happens.)

MemberMember
(@msdominatus)

Posted : 11/01/2004 5:15 pm

I tweeze. GO tweezes. We all tweeze for "beauty!"

(in other words: yes, you can. yes, I do. no, nothing negative happens.)

MemberMember
(@guardedlyoptimistic)

Posted : 11/01/2004 6:04 pm

Haha thanks! Who knows with 'tane. I just picked it up from the pharmacy on my lunch break and turns out I got the generic stuff. Hope it works just as well. Anyways, who knows with that stuff because I read the insert and man, its scarey. Not something i wanted to read when I was feeling all excited about it. My acne is not severe like it says it should be in the insert. That scares me. But it's scarring, and my pores are large and I have tons of bumps and black heads and a good portion of persistant acne on my neck, jawline, hairline shoulders and back. So I just keep convincing myself that this will work and will be worth it. And my skin is SO oily, I hope accutane will at least fix that a little. I know the oil will come back, hopefully not as badly though. OKAY, im rambling. Im just anxious and nervous and excited all at once. It's good to know I should be safe in getting my hair done. I plan to do it this weekend and after that try to let it go for awhile. I have tons of hair so im not too worried about it thinning. blah blah blah, was everyone else this nervous???

MemberMember
(@goldrex)

Posted : 11/01/2004 6:47 pm

I would do it, but I would specify to the colorist that I want off-the-scalp highlighting. I do think the bleach could burn you pretty badly if you've got already sensitized skin. Just ask her to stagger it... It will also look more natural, because the winter's coming. Maybe add some cooler tones to your face?

MemberMember
(@mrrreeow)

Posted : 11/01/2004 8:35 pm

Why don't you just wait till Sunday to start Accutane?

After your hair appointment.

?

MemberMember
(@msdominatus)

Posted : 11/01/2004 9:49 pm

Yea I probably should have waited until this weekend to start the 'tane but I already took my first pill tonight. Oh well. I was too excited to wait. They rarely go all the way to my scalp anyways. What im actually getting done is something that will be low maintenance so that I don't have to get it done for awhile. Previously I had ALL the top layers of my hair platinum - not highlights, just all of it and then everything underneath burgandy. It looks pretty sweet but is far too much to deal with every 4- 6 weeks, and my roots are bad. So Im getting all of the roots touched up again, but then having darker 'cooler' colors foiled into that so that it will look highlighted again. Hopefully I won't need to mess with it for awhile. Thanks for allthe advice! You guys are great. eusa_clap.gif

MemberMember
(@jewel)

Posted : 11/02/2004 10:41 am

I've just started my fourth week on Roaccutane and just had a full colour put through my hair as well as highlights. My scalp was a little flaky, but it usually is after a full colour. Just do as Arpazia advised and put a deep conditioner through your hair a couple of days after you've had your hair done. Also maybe invest in a good shampoo and conditioner.

Because you won't have been on the Roaccutane for very long, I think you'll be fine. It may be a be more concerning when you've been on it for longer, say 3 months or so.

MemberMember
(@msdominatus)

Posted : 11/02/2004 4:30 pm

i was on it 4 months when i did it no problems at all go ahead and do it!!

and for the eyebrows,, threading is key!

MemberMember
(@bella-babe)

Posted : 11/05/2004 2:43 pm

hey guys, im pretty sure im most likely goin to go on accutane......but the hair loss thing scares the crap out of me!!!! i love my hair, and i just dont want to lose it! i mean even thinning hair really scares me! lol.....i sound so pathetic, but i would just like to know how bad it gets, and does it stop after accutane, and does it come back after accutane??

MemberMember
(@k-la)

Posted : 11/05/2004 4:53 pm

Ohhh I asked a similar question in one of my threads. I want to put platinum blonde streaks through my hair which obviously will require bleach but the time when I do it will be around the time I MIGHT consider giving a lower dosage of Accutane a try (it'd be my second trial). I'd probably do it before starting but with platinum hair it needs to be re-touched around once a month. I wonder if its safe to bleach while on Accutane especially for me since last time when I was on the 40mg my hair fell out like crazy and dye had never even touched my head back then! confused.gif

MemberMember
(@browsing)

Posted : 11/06/2004 2:14 pm

Hi guys - sorry this isn't related to hair coloring while on accutane... but I coulnd't really find a topic about hair care in here.

What do you use for the flaking?? Accutane has really dried out my scalp and it doesn't matter what hair care products I use to shampoo and condition with. Is there some oil treatment or some product for the scalp out there to help?

-Thanks much!

MemberMember
(@k-la)

Posted : 11/06/2004 2:22 pm

Hi guys - sorry this isn't related to hair coloring while on accutane... but I coulnd't really find a topic about hair care in here.AA

What do you use for the flaking??AA Accutane has really dried out my scalp and it doesn't matter what hair care products I use to shampoo and condition with.AA Is there some oil treatment or some product for the scalp out there to help?AA

-Thanks much!

MemberMember
(@shaunah)

Posted : 09/08/2021 3:08 am

Hi,I recently started acutene and want to get my hair dyed, Ive read up on it and its saying not to but Id like to see what ye think, if you could let me know!

thank you x