Notifications
Clear all

A Frustrated 34 Yr Old's Anti-Acne Log: The Regimen

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 07/20/2014 3:42 pm

7/20/14. I am 34 years old and I have always had clear skin... until 2 years ago when my acne came on strong, out of no where. I have tried so many OTC and prescription cleansers, lotions, toners, serums, multiple birth control pills, antibiotics, the list goes on. I'm so frustrated and embarrassed by my skin. I have read countless reviews on various acne products and finally today decided to purchase The Regimen plus jojoba oil. I can't wait for it to arrive. I'll update my log as my new skin care routine progresses. Good luck to everyone out there struggling with acne. xx

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 07/31/2014 6:28 am

7/31/14. I received The Regimen and seriously starred at it for 1/2 a day before I worked up the courage to use it because I've been having pretty good success over the last couple weeks with Epicuren and Tea Tree Oil, read my post about that

Well, I finally ripped open the box and decided to start so here we go! I started The Regimen yesterday so today is Day 2. This morning my skin looks pretty good, no new acne popping up. My trouble area is my chin and around my mouth. I couldn't imagine leaving my house without concealer and powder on my face, I really hope that someday I will have the confidence to go makeup free.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/31/2014 6:40 am

Good Luck. The nice thing about The Regimen is that it helps prevent pimples from forming which in the long run will prevent scarring and such. Go really slowly too. If your skin is super sensitive, beware that The Regimen can make your skin even more so.

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 07/31/2014 7:04 am

Thank you @leelowe1! I will definitely go slowly. After reading literally 100 reviews, that seems to be where most people make their mistake and then suffer from the painful flakiness and dryness. I am using just a pea sized amount of BP once per day which I plan to do until next Wednesday (1 week) and then determine if my skin can handle more. Do you think it's a good idea to use the jojoba oil plus moisturizer right now when I'm only using a small amount of the BP? Thanks for your support!!

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 08/05/2014 5:22 pm

Hey Milly, I hope things are still going well for you. I just restarted the regimen myself, and it's rough getting back into it. Keep it up! :)

milly857 liked
MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/06/2014 8:16 am

Thanks for the support @bspencer10! Good luck to you too!! How is your skin reacting to the BP treatment? Is that the roughest part for you? I'm just about to increase my BP treatment amount (starting week 2), and I'm worried about being red and flakey but I'm excited for the BP to really start doing it's magic. Thanks for the message. Cheers!

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/06/2014 9:02 am

Today is the beginning of my 2nd week on The Regimen! Woohoo I made it 1 week! Unfortunately there isn't much of a change in my skin yet, but I know The Regimen is a process and takes time so I'm being patient.

Week 1 overview:

Morning:

-1 pump The Regimen cleanser, air-dry 10 minutes

-1 pump The Regimen moisturizer

Night:

-1 pump The Regimen cleanser, air-dry 10 minutes

-Pea size The Regimen BP Treatment, air-dry 10 minutes

-1 pump The Regimen moisturizer

Week 1 in a nutshell:

For the first 2 days of week 1, I combined 2 drops of the Jojoba Oil with the moisturizer but then my skin felt too greasy so I eliminated the Jojoba Oil after day 2 and just used the moisturizer. I plan to try the Jojoba Oil again in week 2 since I'm increasing the amount and frequency of the BP treatment.

I'm still getting a couple small whiteheads each day (like I always have). I don't have the hardening effect that some talk about. No flakiness or redness.... yet! My skin feels a bit more sensative but doesn't look it. I was very careful to go slowly during week 1.

All in all, I'm feeling good about The Regimen and I'm ready to begin week 2. Wish me luck!

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/06/2014 10:15 am

FYI, this is the amount of BP Treatment I used during Week 1. After reading everyone's posts, I made sure to go slowwwww!

post-410459-0-32784700-1407338105.jpg

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 08/06/2014 10:34 pm

Yeah, my skin seems pretty sensitive, so using BP is rough. It's always hard to start using it.

I notice that it makes me especially red on my chin area and around my eyes. I get little rings around my eyes where the delicate skin right near my eyes is white and the areas right by there are darker. A bit of a raccoon look.

This is week two for me and I'm using up to the first line on my finger two times a day. I've been using the acne.org cleanser but not their moisturizer. I have been using either Cetaphil or DML for moisturizer.

My biggest problem right now is some dryness, a bit of redness and discomfort, and some oiliness. My skin isn't clearing up as quickly as I'd like, but it's not terrible.

milly857 liked
MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/13/2014 2:04 pm

I made it through Week 2!

This week was harder that Week 1. I broke out with about 7-8 big painful pimples on my right cheek, temples, nose, between eyebrows and forehead. That was odd because before I only broke out around my mouth and chin.

Anyway, I did somewhat of a quality control check on myself on Day 10 to make sure I'm following The Regimen exactly as instructed. I realized I wasn't waiting a FULL 10 minutes for my skin to completely dry between steps so now I start a timer on my phone to make sure I'm waiting long enough. If The Regimen doesn't end up working for me, I don't want to have to wonder if it was because I didn't follow The Regimen exactly as instructed. Also, I'm making sure that I do NOT rub, wipe, scrub during any of the steps and that I'm very gentle applying with my fingers and then gently patting dry with a towel.

Right now my skin is feeling sensative, tight and starting to flake around my mouth. Since today is the start of Week 3 I'm supposed to increase BP Treatment, but I'm hesitant to do that because I have a big event coming up in 2 days and I don't want to look ridiculous. What do you guys think?!?!

post-410459-0-53828000-1407956596.jpg

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 08/18/2014 8:26 pm

Hey milly! Your skin is looking better! I'm jealous that you don't look as red as I am! Ha. I had to go down to 1x a day since 2x a day was killing my skin. The skin around my chin was all red, and it was itchy and dry. I couldn't stand that. I think 2x a day is too harsh for my face. I'm seeing pretty good results with 1x a day. I just have the issue of some small breakouts still and they may be a result of the AHA I tried using. I started using it for a few nights and now I've got some random breakouts. I think the AHA caused them after reading that other people had similar results.Other than that and the oiliness I get from using moisturizer, I'm doing pretty good as well! Keep it up! :D

milly857 liked
MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/20/2014 3:23 pm

I made it through Week 3 WOOHOO!

Week 3 went better than Week 2. My skin obviously was purging in Week 2, but this week my skin didn't break out at all! Do you even realize how loooooooong it's been since I have gone a whole week without a new pimple??? It's probably been a year so it feels great to say... I think this is working!

Week 3 overview:

Morning:

-1 pump The Regimen cleanser, airdry 15 minutes

-Half index finger The Regimen BP treatment, airdry 15 minutes

-1 pump The Regimen moisturizer mixed with 2 drops The Regimen jojoba oil

Night:

-1 pump The Regimen cleanser, airdry 15 minutes

-Full index finger The Regimen BP treatment, airdry 15 minutes

-1 pump The Regimen moisturizer mixed with 2 drops The Regimen jojoba oil

Week 3 in a nutshell:

I was nervous about increasing the BP treatment amount and, sure enough, my skin was really dry this week! So I started using the Joboba Oil again mixed with my moisturizer and that helped. Feels kinda greasy but helps. I can tell that the BP is working so I'm just going with it. I'm slowly trying to ramp up to a full finger of BP Treatment 2x/day, hopefully in 1 week (the beginning of Week 5) I will be there.

No whiteheads, not much redness. My skin is just dry and stiff. I put the moisturizer on like 4 times one day because my skin felt so dry! Is that bad? Is too much moisturizer a bad thing? It felt so much better after the moisturizer.

I went to the beach one day without sunscreen (dumb, I know ), my skin was more sensative to the sun but it didn't burn. I felt so confident being at the beach with only a little makeup on. I feel so great about the future and I'm excited to keep this going! I'm just trying to be patient and go slow, but I can't help but be sooooo excited about my results so far. I absolutely love the cleanser, it's the best cleanser I've ever used. So gentle yet my face feels so clean. This week I ordered a big bottle of the AHA and each step of The Regimen. I only bought a small bottle of each and no AHA at first in case I didn't like The Regimen, but I'm definitely moving forward! I'm waiting until the end of Week 4 to start the AHA. I'm nervous about it!!! I need to read up on it. Do I continue with the BP with the AHA? How often should I use the AHA, how much AHA? Does it replace my moisturizer? Do I stop Jojoba Oil? I need to do some research!!

Good luck everyone and thx for reading! xx

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/20/2014 3:48 pm

Hi @bspencer10! I'd love to see how your skin looks since we are pretty much at the same place on The Regimen. Post a pic if you can! UGH my skin is really itchy too, I try not to touch it but sometimes can't resist.

One issue I have is DRY LIPS. Holy moly. My lips are cracking like crazy. I rub the jojoba oil all over them but it doesn't help very much. Have you found any good lip moisturizers?

I am excited to start the AHA next week!! How is that going for you? I want to let my skin get used to the BP for 1 more week before putting the AHA on it. I'm glad you cut back to 1 full finger of BP 1x/day, I think that's why you were getting so red!

Thanks for the comment, good luck!

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 08/21/2014 12:15 pm

Day 21 -- OK. My face is SO DRY. It's constantly flaking and it looks leathery. My forehead is peeling. I'm slathering the moisturizer all over it all day long. Is the AHA going to help or hurt my skin when I start it next week? Do you think I'm ready for the AHA?

I am going to cut back to full finger once/day.

The Regimen has been going so smoothly, I knew something like this was bound to happen. Going to keep plugging alone, I still have faith this is working! On a good note, my friend told me last night that my skin looks smooth!! YIPPEE a compliment on my skin!

post-410459-0-12197300-1408641058.jpg

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 08/23/2014 8:51 pm

Hey, I used the AHA for a few nights, and it seemed to make me breakout more. I wasn't a fan. Hopefully you like it more though!

I'm kinda down since my face is a bit broken out and it's probably because I missed a night of the regimen. I was just really tired and fell asleep without washing my face at all. I have some random white heads today.

I attached a picture, but it's hard to see what's going on since my skin is kinda shiny from moisturizer. That's my biggest problem. I hate using moisturizer since it makes me shiny regardless of brand, but using no moisturizer leaves me unbearably dry...

My skin doesn't look too bad, but there are some random bumps here and there, and I notice some discoloration in certain lighting. The worst is those mirrors in cars that pull down and light up. They make you look awful!

I'm using up to the second line on my pointer finger at night and just cleanser and moisturizer in the morning. Ideally I'd like to get to using no moisturizer in the daytime since that's when I care about how I look. :P

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 08/24/2014 6:42 pm

Hmm. I included a picture but it's not showing up. I'll try again later. :)

MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 08/25/2014 12:04 am

Finally got it! I realize it doesn't look like much, but mine just tend to be smaller. I still think falling asleep without washing my skin that one night really messed me up. I had a couple zits at that point, but now I have a ton of tiny ones.

I started shaving each night after reading Dan's shaving guide again, and we'll see how that goes. It's supposed to be great for exfoliation.

Other than that, I have some bumps on my neck which is not like my face at all (I never break out there!), but we'll see how this next week goes.

I'm hoping to try acupuncture out this week, and we'll see if that affects my skin at all. I think my hormones are out of whack which could be worsening my breakouts, so maybe that will help. Hope your week is going well so far!

post-96523-0-24724200-1408942790_thumb.j

milly857 liked
MemberMember
(@bspencer10)

Posted : 09/01/2014 1:30 am

Hey, I was using Cetaphil moisturizer and it had worked well before but I was noticing my zits weren't going away quickly at all. I've since stopped using it and am now using DML. It's a lot lighter and seems to moisturize pretty well.

I've stopped using moisturizer during the daytime since it would leave me shiny and sweaty and I am not using BP in the daytime, so I don't really need it. I only use a bit where there is noticeable dryness.

My skin is looking pretty good, minus spots that surely showed up from the night I passed out without washing my face first. I hope things are going well for you!

P.S. I realize how critical of my skin I seemed in that last post. That picture didn't really show much of what was going on so I probably came off as too sensitive about it. I'm sure that was part of it. :)

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 09/06/2014 7:30 pm

Holy cow I haven't updated this in a while! Sorry!

I'm halfway through my 6th week and it's going great! Can you believe these results so far?? I'm so happy! No makeup in either pic:

post-410459-0-65135100-1410049142.jpg

I can't say enough good things about the AHA, it's really helping with my acne marks and red spots. I added AHA to my routine at the beginning of Week 5. I used a whole pump of just AHA at first and quickly realized why everyone tells you to mix it with moisturizer 50/50. It burned my skin and it just didn't feel good. Lesson learned. Now I'm just going to continue doing this everyday and will make sure I am gentle during each step. Hopefully my skin continues to improve over the next couple months, I will continue to update everyone!!

Morning Routine:

1-2 pumps Cleanser - wait 15 min

1 finger BP - wait 15 min

1 pump Moisturizer

Night Routine:

1-2 pumps Cleanser - wait 15 min

1 finger BP - wait 15 min

1/2 pump Moisturizer + 1/2 pump AHA mixed together in the palm of my hand

MemberMember
(@reindancer)

Posted : 09/09/2014 1:19 pm

That's a huge difference, wow! I'm so happy the BP and AHA has been working so well for you! Please keep us updated as I love watching people with successful experiences! :D

milly857 liked
MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 10/01/2014 1:00 pm

It's been a frustrating last couple weeks. My skin has made HUGE improvements from where I started almost 11 weeks ago. However I'm developing acne still, and when I get them they are deep, round, painful ones.

Does your skin ever become used to the BP treatment where as it doesn't really work anymore? I'm using almost 2 full fingers of BP 2x/day. Is this a safe amount to use regularly? Am I going to damage my skin or body?

I believe the AHA and moisturizer combination is helping my dark spots slowly, but they are indeed still there. I just want everything to be gone.

I guess I'm just feeling pretty bad about my skin today. I was doing so well but now I have 3 huge round bumps under my skin, 1 on each cheek and 1 on my forehead.... and they are painful.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@newjge)

Posted : 10/09/2014 10:52 pm

Skin is looking great !

Just started my second week hope get same results !

milly857 liked
MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 10/29/2014 7:21 am

Thanks @newjge! Good luck, stick with it, I'm excited to see your results! After your 4th week I would recommend incorporating AHA. Make sure you go slowly with the amount of BP you use.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/30/2014 8:13 am

I don't think the acne bacteria adapt and become resistant to the treatment but I do know its important to be using the full dosage eventually. Are you up to a full fat finger now?? When you posted the comment almost a month ago you said you were almost there. If your skin is used to BP, Dan says when in doubt use more. I know it's frustrating when acne comes back, happens to everyone from time to time.

How are things looking today?

BTW, thanks for checking out our regimen log for my son! The IT guy moved our personal log here to the Regimen logs forum...didn't realize there was a separate forum for this! It must be new because it wasn't here when I was on the Org 6 years ago lol.

Debra

MemberMember
(@milly857)

Posted : 01/28/2015 8:55 pm

1-28-15

It has been quite a while since I updated my log. My skin has improved drastically but I will admit that I have deviated from the Regimen. My Derm was fine with the Regimen but she felt I needed more. She gave me a skin lightener, retinae, and prescribed Spironolactone. Honestly, The Regimen was very good to me but my skin stopped reacting to the BP so I dropped it from my regimen. Using the moisturizer every day made my skin feel greasy so I dropped that too. I still do use the moisturizer occassionally but I need to listen to my skin and only use moisturizer when need be. I started using Neutrogena Astringent which has 2% Salicylic Acid. The SA completely changed how my skin feels, the SA makes it feels so clean and fresh, it feels like I'm actually lifting dirt out of my pores when I use it. It's awesome. I was one of the people who followed Dan's Regimen to the T but after about 3 months of religiously sticking to the Regimen, my face felt too greasy and I needed to make some changes. Oh -- I can't say enough good things STILL about Dan's AHA -- I absolutely love it. Basically the combination of the cleanser, AHA, and 2% SA is what seems to work for my skin. It was a battle trying to figure out my acne but I think I finally did it!

Morning

Dan's Cleanser

Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil-Eliminating Astringent

Dan's AHA

(Possibly a small amount of Dan's moisturizer if it's winter or my skin feels extra dry, in the summer I do not need this)

25 mg Spironolactone

Mid-Day

Lots of hand washing & no touching face

25 mg Spironolactone

Night-time

Dan's Cleanser

Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil-Eliminating Astringent

Dan's AHA

Skin lightener

Retinae

Good luck everyone!