Notifications
Clear all

Acne Returning After Accutane

MemberMember
(@acnesufferer5)

Posted : 07/19/2014 3:41 pm

Hey guys!

So, I took 40 mg of accutane 3 days a week for 5 months. I had no initial breakout and my skin cleared within the first three months. While I was on Accutane, I did not have any severe side effects. The only thing I can think of is dry skin, but even that wasn't too bad.

I have been off of Accutane for a couple of months and my skin was perfectly clear up until now. Just this month my skin started getting so much more oilier and my pores have definitely increased significantly! I even switched my moisturizers to ones that do not contain oil. Starting this week, I have broken out all over my forehead and my cheek has several pimples, one of which is huge and painful and just won't go away.

I have a dermatologist appointment in two weeks, but i have no idea what I should do to help my skin stay clear and I don't want my skin to get any worse! I have to leave to visit family soon as well and I want my skin to be clear before then. Please help! What should I ask my dermatologist to do? Should I do another round of Accutane?! How fast does Accutane work the second time around?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/19/2014 5:09 pm

it doesn't sound like you even took the full dose for your body weight. Why is that?

MemberMember
(@acnesufferer5)

Posted : 07/19/2014 6:33 pm

it doesn't sound like you even took the full dose for your body weight. Why is that?

I only weigh 90lbs and the derm did not want me to go on too high a dosage. Should I ask him for a higher dosage for my second round?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/19/2014 6:47 pm

I only weigh 90lbs and the derm did not want me to go on too high a dosage. Should I ask him for a higher dosage for my second round?

I would. Usually people take accutane every day of the week and for 6 months.

MemberMember
(@acnesufferer5)

Posted : 07/19/2014 6:54 pm

I would. Usually people take accutane every day of the week and for 6 months.

Yeah that's what I was thinking prior to taking Accutane. It just worked so well for me within the first month, that I didn't even consider the dosage the derm prescribed. My face is doing awful right now though and I can't wait to go back on the medication.