Notifications
Clear all

Time To Address Acne My Scars

MemberMember
(@djfunz)

Posted : 07/18/2014 3:07 pm

Hello everyone, I haven't been on this forum for years because I finally got rid of my adult acne. Accutane did the trick and I wish I had used it years sooner than I did. As a result of my apprehension and waiting, I developed scars from all the cystic acne and picking I did.

So here I am at almost 33 years of age. I haven't had acne in over 7 years. I started using Retin-A to address aging and wrinkles recently. My acne scars still exist and I need some opinions from some of the more knowledgeable users here on what the best approach would be.

I have an appointment this Tuesday with a highly rated skin clinic and just want to be ready to spot if I'm being sold expensive snake oil remedies that won't really render significant results. I attached some pics of my face to help analyze how significant my scars are. It seems I have more rolling scars right? What treatments would you recommend What do you think my improvements could be using some form of laser treatment?

Thanks for the time and help everyone.

post-56969-0-28355500-1405713718.jpg

post-56969-0-45826400-1405713751.jpg

post-56969-0-28355500-1405713718.jpg

post-56969-0-45826400-1405713751.jpg

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/18/2014 7:15 pm

I'm seeing mostly shallow rolling scars. I think you can get satisfactory improvement with the dermapen...laser resurfacing can also help but results can be unpredictable, some people reporting worse texture. The bottom line is the texture of your skin is not bad at all and I would personally try less invasive treatments first.

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 07/18/2014 11:46 pm

Agreed ^

I would probably avoid laser based on how mild your situation is. For someone with severe scarring the reward can outweigh but the risk but I don't think that's the case for you as your skin looks pretty good, in my opinion.

I'm not knowledgable at all on subcision but I believe it is generally done for rolling scars, though I'm not sure if it's maybe for deeper rolling scars. I'm sure someone that knows more will chime in.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 07/19/2014 12:29 am

agree with both.

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 07/19/2014 2:29 am

Your scarring is mild. Lasers carry much more risks. You should look into skin needling treatments such as dermarolling, dermastamping or the dermapen. Do some research on these as I think you can get just as good improvements using any combination of the 3 than spending thousands of dollars on expensive Laser treatments which could lead to hyperpigmentation if the Doctor treating you is not careful.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 07/19/2014 9:29 am

I only do Re:pair for scars. The problem is that you are so borderline that I am not likely to say you need to go do Re:pair. Keep doing the Retin-A, and don't let the doctors sell you what they have in their office without you checking out its record after you get out of the office. Get details of any procedures they suggest, and at what level they want to treat you - BE INFORMED!!! Don't accept a brochure as informative.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 07/19/2014 11:56 am

I only do Re:pair for scars. The problem is that you are so borderline that I am not likely to say you need to go do Re:pair. Keep doing the Retin-A, and don't let the doctors sell you what they have in their office without you checking out its record after you get out of the office. Get details of any procedures they suggest, and at what level they want to treat you - BE INFORMED!!! Don't accept a brochure as informative.

do you have any pictures from repair for your scars ? since i hear you talk about how much its improve yours

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 07/19/2014 12:48 pm

do you have any pictures from repair for your scars ? since i hear you talk about how much its improve yours

I will never post pictures. I do not like to post any pictures on the internet. I have a girlfriend who is the same as me. She has never had scars, and she is very good looking, but she will never post a picture, even on Facebook. She has palm trees as her picture.

MemberMember
(@djfunz)

Posted : 07/19/2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the possibility of hyper-pigmentation using laser treatment. I am intrigued by the effectiveness of the derma-pen. Seems like this might be the preferred course of treatment for my scars.

This is the place I'm going for a consultation: http://www.viennaskinclinic.com/index.html

I didn't see any of the aforementioned treatments on their services page. I did see subcision though. Anyone have experience with that?

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/20/2014 10:07 pm

Actually, some of your scars in your first picture look like they would respond to subcision + suction. Considering how inexpensive it is in comparison to laser resurfacing, I'd look into that, just make sure whoever is performing it has some experience. I would get subcision first before needling so that you can break up some of the fibrous tissue in your scars, making the dermapen infinitely more effective.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 07/21/2014 1:43 am

Resurfacing procedures like lasers work best AFTER the rolling scars have been elevated as much as possible to the level of normal skin. For that, I think multiple subcisions will help. Check out Mr. Matt's profile and his pics. Those are probably the best examples of what subcision can accomplish in terms of leveling off the scarring with normal skin. After getting the maximum improvement from subcision, then you can decide if you want to pursue lasers, or maybe you'd even be satisfied enough to not do any resurfacing. Fillers could probably be used at the very end to fine tune the results and raise any remaining rolling scars.

MemberMember
(@djfunz)

Posted : 07/24/2014 2:37 pm

I wanted to update the thread after my consultation with the skin care clinic. He essentially said that the only treatment that he offers for acne scars is the Sublative RF Rejuvenation using the e-Matrix device.

He said that it's not as invasive as other methods and also more affordable per treatment at $300 per session. Most patients respond positively after 3-4 treatments and no longer feel a need to keep coming after that.

What do you think? I did some research and while fairly new, it seems like a good option. Anyone here have experience with this treatment?

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/24/2014 8:31 pm

I'm always leery of doctors who only offer one treatment for scars, because that's the only treatment they are going to recommend. I'm going to stand with my original suggestion which is subcision and dermastamping, as it's the cheapest and it's effective for scars like yours. Subcision costs next to nothing compared to the Sublative RF Rejuvenation treatment. Also, generally the less ablative the treatment, the less results you get.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/25/2014 8:21 am

i dont think you really should do anything you look great and are very attractive. the scars dont take anything away from your appearance but they are also very mild. i would stick with the retin-a and you could try some chemical peels but i wouldnt do much more than that.

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 08/01/2014 9:00 pm

I agree with Tracy. Sorry to tell ya, but go live your life! You look great, the scars are barely visible, everyone's got something, don't waste your money or risk the chance of ruining your skin.