Epiduo

MemberMember
(@piggy13)

Posted : 07/13/2014 3:33 pm

Hey, I was prescribed Epiduo by my gp yesterday and this is my second night using it. Nothing has happened so far, except there are a few more bumps on my forehead. I'm going on holiday next Sunday and really need to know if I can go in the sun, because I've heard because your skin is so raw you get burned really easily, but if I wear factor 50? I really don't want to come off it for holiday because I'm away for 3 weeks and want my spots gone ASAP. So please if you've had experience with the product could you comment :( thanks :)

MemberMember
(@trooper421)

Posted : 07/14/2014 3:01 pm

Piggy,

You're correct in that Epiduo (a combination of adapalene and benzoyl peroxide) can increase your sensitivity to the sun. So yes you should, in my opinion, be applying sunscreen daily. You should use the following guidelines for sunscreen (per the Academy of Dermatology)

1. SPF 30 or higher
  2. Should be "broad spectrum"
  3. Water resistant between 40-80 minutes
  4. Amount used for exposed areas of skin should fill a shot glass
  5. Should be applied at least 30 minutes prior to sun exposure, so that the sunscreen can be properly absorbed.

In studies on Epiduo, most patients noticed a significant effect after 1 week of properly using it. But, you may experience positive effects earlier or later. All depends on how well you stick to your regimen and your body's response to the medication.