Notifications
Clear all

Pregnancy And Acne

MemberMember
(@s0overit)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:45 am

I haven't been on here in a while. I come back to the org when I just have given up. I am pregnant now and I have cleared up from the top of my face tremendously. I just have severe cystic acne on my jawline and neck and a few on my chin. I also have one cyst on my lip and two on the side of them. I AM pregnant and I have been breaking out on my belly which was always the clearest part of my body. When it comes to my back I have always had acne on it. I never even bothered trying to clear it up I gave up but right now its really bad. My shoulders were also very clear and now I have scars and acne on them. Anyways does any one know if this is temporary because of my hormones changing? I am 29 weeks pregnant with a little baby girl. Thank You <3

btw. I was excited to expierence the "glowing" of the skin everyone talks about when they are pregnant BUT I guess since I was already acne prone things got worst for me.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 07/13/2014 8:42 am

glowing ? if anything you should look your worst because your baby also takes in the nutrients from you that it needs

but yeah you could try fixing your hormones after the baby is born because hormonal supplement could mess with the baby so i shouldnt atm

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/13/2014 2:58 pm

have you tried supplements approved by your doctor?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/14/2014 12:13 pm

The "glow" they talk about is the surge in oil production from the increased progesterone. So that means bad news for us. I broke out bad from the moment of implantation until the 6th month and then dramatically cleared 100% from 6-9 months. But the acne came back, albeit not as bad, about 2 weeks after giving birth. Freaking nightmare. Pregnancy/after pregnancy is a hormone roller coaster.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 07/16/2014 6:21 pm

Interesting michi31! So overall, your acne improved with pregnancy in the end? When you say the acne came back not as bad, do you mean not as bad as pre-pregnancy or not as bad as during the first six months?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/17/2014 9:27 am

My skin was 100% clear and not oily during the third trimester. It was pretty amazing. When it came back two weeks after I gave birth it was about pre-pregnancy levels. It was not as bad as it was during pregnancy, that's for sure. During the first trimester I have the painful cyst type and now have scarring because of it. Hence I am not having another child, which I am really sad about:-( I'm on Spiro now and have been clear for over a year. I can't imagine having to go off and go through that nightmare again.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 07/23/2014 12:59 pm

Congratulations! That's really exciting It's most likely your hormones. I just had my first 9 months ago and had really good skin while I was pregnant. My hair looked good and all my acne went away. I did get some belly strech marks but think I stopped it from getting worse by putting oil on it. But 3 months after I gave birth most of my hair fell out and I got BAD acne. I got seriously horribly oily skin. Like nothing I've seen. It was super depressing. It's been 9 months and my hormones are still crazy. There doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about post pardum hormones but I did take a homeopathic remedy for the thyroid and that helped a lot with my hair. Though it's hard, I would try to enjoy every bit of it and try not to worry about the way you look. And then when she is born and if your looks go to hell, ignore it and just try to enjoy every moment with her.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 07/23/2014 1:36 pm

michi31, Progesterone (and estrogen) is at its highest during the third trimester. At delivery, both progesterone and estrogen drop significantly, while prolactin levels continue to rise. Using natural progesterone can help prevent postpartum acne as well as other symptoms like hair loss and depression. To lower prolactin levels later (after breastfeeding), you can take some supplements like vitex (which also helps with progesterone) or l-tyrosine.

hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) also rises during the first 8 weeks or so. Some women start breaking out or have worse breakouts around this time. hCG then begins to drop off again at 13-16 weeks.

Like psychokitty said so well if you want to have a baby, enjoy the experience and try not to focus on acne. There are things that you can do about it later and you don't want something like that to ruin the time with your new baby or prevent you from having another baby if that's what you want.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/23/2014 2:49 pm

Actually I have suspected it was the HCG causing the worst acne, as around 10 weeks I stopped getting the cystic type. I think what you can/should take post-partum depends on whether you are breastfeeding. And after breastfeeding ends your skin may return to normal. If not Spiro is a good solution (what cleared me).

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 07/23/2014 10:45 pm

Is there nothing natural and safe to take during pregnancy to minimize the effects of HCG?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/24/2014 9:05 am

No, there really isn't. I caved and went on Keflex (Category B) antibiotic for several 4 week stints. That was the only thing that helped. Topicals did nothing. My daughter is 2 and 100% healthy.

MemberMember
(@s0overit)

Posted : 08/23/2014 4:40 am

I cleared up with most of the cyst.. I don't know what triggered them but I'm doing better.. I just got two bumps on my chin and one on my upper lip. I can deal with that.. my babies doing fine =:) btw what should I do for hair loss.. I'm practically bald as it is and don't want to lose anymore hair after pregnancy.. and when I mean bald I mean it.. you can see my scalp..