Notifications
Clear all

Acne That Never Ceases

MemberMember
(@lalle)

Posted : 06/17/2014 12:43 pm

Just an early warning, please excuse any misspelling or minor grammatical errors. English isn't my native tounge and this post is written in a emotional tired induced frenzy.

Hey everyone,

I've been keeping a watch on this forum from time to time checking threads for possible solutions to acne outbreaks and just to find some comfort in knowing that I'm not alone one out there who knows the struggle.

I'm at the age of 21, male and have been in warfare with acne since the age of 14. Since then it has become progressivly worse and worse. I have tried the following;

Benzaclin

Duac

Stioxyl

Epidou

Acnicyl

Tetralysal

Simple washing two times a day with carrot-soap (loads of A-vitamin)

Diary/suger diets

The times I visited a skinderm I was deemed to have moderate acne with a hint of cystic acne from time to time. The worse of my acne was located on my face (of course, as visible as possible right?) and a few very tine marks of acne on chest, nect and back.

Just a few weeks after my 20th birthday I was finally put on accutane/roaccutane, and at the beginnig I had the wooorst outbreak of acne I ever had but within the 5-6 months mark I was finally cleared up! No acne, just a few acne scars to heal over time.

8 months later I start to see hints of acne by my jawline, chin and cheeks.

I now have acne again, not as bad as before, however still clearly visible acne. I guess the accutane course left a bit of improvement! I mostly only get regular acne bumps, red marks and and a few cystic acne every now and then that goes away if left alone after a week or two.

I'm not sure if I wrote this entirely in hopes to finding possible solutions from you guys, I suppose I just needed to write this down as I have no friends who can relate to my problem and who just says ''it's just acne'' or ''I don't even notice the acne anymore''.

I guess that's one of my fears, that I simple have to ''live'' with it. That it will always be part of my looks and people can't help but picture me with acne when they think of me.

I wanted to ask if you guys would recommend a secound course of accutane? If it didn't work the first time, how big are the odds it will finally put a permanent stop to the outbreaks with a secound routine? I'm a bit afraid of the sideffects, and the scaring that comes from the intial outbreak and of course the price of the medicine.

I'm currently trying out vitamin B5 to see how it might handle my skin and I will probably give it a few months to see what results it bring.

Sorry if this became a bit dragging and depressing. I guess I just needed to get it out to people who might know what it is like.

I'm fully aware there is more in the world then spotless looks and all.

However I can't help but feel a bit down everytime I look myself in the mirror. I'm okay with my looks but those damn bumps just gets to me!

Thanks to everyone who read this post.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/17/2014 5:43 pm

Taking a 2nd course of accutane may or may not help you long term. I've done accutane 3 times and guess what, i still have acne. I would recommend trying other things before accutane again. You mentioned diet changes, have you tried plaeo - that seems to work for a few people here.

If nothing is helpful, do what you feel is best

MemberMember
(@helenaw)

Posted : 06/17/2014 6:57 pm

Do you get a lot of caffeine in your diet? my dermatologist told me to cut out the caffeine.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/17/2014 7:28 pm

Be more accepting of who you are, including your imperfections, and then stop thinking about it as if it doesn't exist. You'll start living.

I wish I could take my own advise lol

I'm on the verge of starting my round 1, but I cringe every time I hear of an expired remission, I just don't want to be that person who has to get on tane again. If I were you I'd do more research and see how my body reacts to the other treatments....

MemberMember
(@kntrgrl)

Posted : 06/17/2014 8:20 pm

It's so hard to figure out. I've been on accutane for 5 months & I've been very lucky-my skin is amazing right now (besides the dryness & chapped lips) but I'm terrified of coming off it. I was so depressed before & didn't want to go out in public. I've had cystic acne for 20 years & have tried everything (diet, skin regimes, exercise etc) but nothing worked. It's weird but at the same time I don't want to get off the meds I am dying to be finished. Strange? It's been a long 5 months, and one more to go. I can't imagine doing this all over again. Besides the physical side effects not many talk about the mental side effects-it's exhausting the lab work & making appts etc etc etc. not to mention the gamble you take in coming off of it-you just never know if it's going to work. Or as in your case, the decision to try again for the 2ndtime. That would be very difficult. I give you a lot of credit for that, it's a difficult decision to begin for the first time let alone the 2nd.

I wish you the best.

Those people who are so quick to criticize us because of our outer appearance, who have no experience what it's like to wake up in the morning & deliberately look in the other direction when seeing our reflection, trying not to make eye contact with the kids in the grocery line because you just know they are going to stare or god forbid ask their mother what's on your face. We are much more than that-we are strong, we are courageous, wearing our face in whatever form it comes in and we are seeking answers. I hope you and everyone else suffering finds peace.

MemberMember
(@lalle)

Posted : 06/18/2014 6:38 am

leelowe1

I have not tried paleo actually, the only efforts I've done on my diets is cutting down junk food (not that I was ever crazy about it anyway), suger and most containing dairy. However paleo might be worth a shot, thank you for the tip!

I also workout a couple times a week so I do get my fair share of exercise.

helenaw

Well right now I tend to have about 1-2 cups of coffee every morning, beside that I don't have many other intakes of caffeine.

However it wasn't until recently I started adding coffee into my daily routine, so the acne I've had the previous years are not because of caffeine.

GetMeTheResults

I know, I know. I actually feel okay and not to down on myself, however if I go for a shave where I have to be up close to the mirror it just gets to me. It will then be in my head for the rest of the day. Concetrated depression for a two days period.

I have also done plentyfull of research and it seems that my skin reacts positivly to any kind of pil treamtents such as Tetralysal, however as soon as the cure is over the acne slowy comes back. I wish you good luck with accutane by the way (if you decided to go on it that is)!

kntrgrl

I felt pretty much the exact same as you when I was in the 5th month of accutane, I was so happy that I was finally clearing up and even though it would take like 8 months until my acne was back those 8 months were amazing as I didn't have to worry about my skin everytime I went out. I really hope it works out for you!

I would also like to add to my first post that my father used to have acne when he was around my age (so no doubt I have the genes to blame for this) however he took injections when he was around 19 - 20 years-old and was forever rid of it after that. He until this day has no ide what that doctor injected him with. I sometimes wonder if he had an early version of what would later become accutane? It might even have been an illegal substance considering he never was told what it was.