Notifications
Clear all

Topical Antioxidants

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 06/13/2014 7:50 am

Hey all,

This article was an interesting read but I dunno how much of it is true.

http://www.acneeinstein.com/dont-know-how-to-get-over-acne-let-me-help/

It highlights that taking topical antioxidants is good for reducing inflammation. My question is what are some good brands out there and is the article on the right track?

MemberMember
(@helenaw)

Posted : 06/13/2014 7:45 pm

I am not sure what brand would be a good one but I do know that antioxidants are wonderful for the face.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 06/14/2014 1:47 am

I don't buy it. I believe you would have better results with a diet that promotes healing and decreases inflammation and inflammatory response. Topical solutions imo are either produced with such insufficient concentrations that it would take the whole bottle to make a difference; this reminds me of advertisers who promote biotanical solutions because they contain extracts... in such low quantities it takes a lot to see any difference. And again so argue that the molecules are too big to enter the skin or ineffective at the current pH. Stuff that is often overlooked.

In this article i see they mention squalene. I know its used as a moisturizer however, i know there is a debate about it regarding the source. One source comes from a shark and the other idk. I seen this on essential day spa. They discussed how one source is better than the other.So might as well just buy natural vitamin e oil. But ive seen this be thrown out because it can actually make worse inflammation.

If your looking for a moisturizer that is light and promotes healing use something with hyaluronic acid

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 06/14/2014 4:14 am

I don't buy it. I believe you would have better results with a diet that promotes healing and decreases inflammation and inflammatory response. Topical solutions imo are either produced with such insufficient concentrations that it would take the whole bottle to make a difference; this reminds me of advertisers who promote biotanical solutions because they contain extracts... in such low quantities it takes a lot to see any difference. And again so argue that the molecules are too big to enter the skin or ineffective at the current pH. Stuff that is often overlooked.

In this article i see they mention squalene. I know its used as a moisturizer however, i know there is a debate about it regarding the source. One source comes from a shark and the other idk. I seen this on essential day spa. They discussed how one source is better than the other.So might as well just buy natural vitamin e oil. But ive seen this be thrown out because it can actually make worse inflammation.

If your looking for a moisturizer that is light and promotes healing use something with hyaluronic acid

Im the person who wrote the post, so perhaps I can chime in here.
Everything in that post is backed by scientific research, I didnt actually pull the statements out of my arse. I didnt specifically cite studies showing the effectiveness of topical antioxidants in acne, but here are a few well controlled studies.
Vitamin C
Ruamrak et al. demonstrated good efficacy for 5% SAP lotion: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2008.00479.x/abstract. Woolery-Lloyd et al. demonstrated the efficacy of 5% SAP lotion as a monotherapy in acne: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2010.00480.x/abstract and Klock et al. demonstrated 5% SAP lotion to be more effective than benzoyl peroxide on acne.
Vitamin B3
Khodaeiani et al. demonstrated 4% nicotinamide to be equally effective as 1% clindamycin: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ijd.12002/abstract, and Shalita et al. confirmed the results: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7657446.
If my memory serves me right, 3 or 4 studies have shown applying green tea extracts in 1 t 3% concentrations reduces acne by 50% over 8 weeks. But those studies are not as well controlled as the above mentioned.
As to diet for reducing inflammatory response. Yes, that's certainly one possibility, and there's some evidence that antioxidant supplements reduce acne. But it's my opinion that topical antioxidants should be part of your acne treatment regimen since much of the acne-triggering oxidative stress on the skin comes from outside. Of course this varies from person to person. In my case acne is linked to gut problems, which is very much controlled by diet. My skin is clear as long as my gut remains happy, but when I eat something that causes constipation to me my skin breaks out. Topical treatments can control the breakout to some degree but not completely.
MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 06/14/2014 4:49 pm

Some of your submitted articles do not link to actual pages. Even then I am subject to my own beliefs and I stand to say that diet in my opinion and what i have seen has a greater effect than topical solutions. However, combine show better results. In my own experimentation vitamin c caused acne and blackheads. Probably because of the solution. Anything in a lotion form is heavy and thick on my skin. I have yet to find anything that works for its purpose without causing a problem. I can also say compared to chemical whiteners, and exfoliation, vitamin C topically did nothing.Which reminds me of information i read once again on essential day spa that debated the effective types of vitamin c for their purpose. I had the link at one time. Basically ascorbic acid is preferred if i remember correctly.

I take b3 by mouth and have found better results systemically for acne and for cholesterol health and sleep to name a few. At one time i did use topically b3 with extremely dissatisfaction. Every time it caused facial irritation and burns even when diluted. I'm sensitive to some products more than others.

But thats my belief. What works for you may not work for others. That is why this type of alternative therapies are not mainstream like established products such as BP and retin a and antibiotics.

None the less is still appreciate the research as long as its used for just that and doesn't sway people into buying a product or service.

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 06/15/2014 11:13 pm

Oopps, sorry. For some reason the URLs contained full stop and comma characters. Here are URLS that work:
So there is evidence that these vitamins and antioxidants both penetrate the skin (when in a properly formulated solution) and can reduce acne - often as much as BP or topical antibiotics.
I also dont mean to say topical antioxidants are better than diet changes or other internal measures. For some they are, but for me diet usually affects my skin more than topical treatments.
The point I was making at that post is that acne starts as oxidative damage to sebum and we should do everything we can to mitigate that.
MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 06/17/2014 7:56 pm

Acne is an immunological disease. It's not just oxidation of lipids. A couple minor points: the rabbit ear is a woefully inadequate model for human acne due to the prevalence of false positive results (and differing circumstances, like lack of bacterial colonization).

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17687685

Also, squalene and other lipids are oxidized in everyone's skin whenever they go into the sun, and if anything, sun has been shown to help acne, probably because oxidized squalene increases inflammation which results in faster lesion healing (not necessarily reduced lesion occurrence). Older people also have plenty of oxidized squalene, probably more than younger people, and yet they have less acne. No causation has been shown here.

On the other hand, there is certainly truth behind the idea that acne is an inflammatory disorder, which is why pretty much every single acne medicine has an anti-inflammatory effect. And antioxidants can be anti-inflammatory either directly or indirectly, thus exerting similar effects. But it's important to realize here that these antioxidants would not be addressing the cause of the problem, as most acne medications fail to do. The cause of the problem is a fundamentally dysregulated immune system; the body reacts to a commensal organism or food antigen in a way that it shouldn't. And this is very hard to fix.

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 06/18/2014 8:11 am

Acne is an immunological disease. It's not just oxidation of lipids. A couple minor points: the rabbit ear is a woefully inadequate model for human acne due to the prevalence of false positive results (and differing circumstances, like lack of bacterial colonization).

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17687685

Also, squalene and other lipids are oxidized in everyone's skin whenever they go into the sun, and if anything, sun has been shown to help acne, probably because oxidized squalene increases inflammation which results in faster lesion healing (not necessarily reduced lesion occurrence). Older people also have plenty of oxidized squalene, probably more than younger people, and yet they have less acne. No causation has been shown here.

On the other hand, there is certainly truth behind the idea that acne is an inflammatory disorder, which is why pretty much every single acne medicine has an anti-inflammatory effect. And antioxidants can be anti-inflammatory either directly or indirectly, thus exerting similar effects. But it's important to realize here that these antioxidants would not be addressing the cause of the problem, as most acne medications fail to do. The cause of the problem is a fundamentally dysregulated immune system; the body reacts to a commensal organism or food antigen in a way that it shouldn't. And this is very hard to fix.

Yes, you are right that there are problems with the rabbit ear model and it doesnt accurately depict what happens on human skin. If this hypothesis/theory relied solely on the rabbit ear model, I wouldnt even bother writing about it. But there are also human studies that show high levels of lipid peroxides in the earliest stages of a pimple.
This happens even before the bacteria has colonized the pimple. So there are many researchers thinking P. acnes bacteria doesnt actually cause or trigger acne, it just exponentially increases inflammation once the pimple has started.
And yes, everyone has squalene and other sebum lipids on the skin. So whats different about people who are prone to acne then? We dont know yet. There are, I think, 4 studies now that show people with moderate/severe forms of acne have higher levels of systemic oxidation than people with mild acne or no acne. A part of the puzzle might be in the failure of the antioxidant system to protect the skin. There is probably also a genetic component that people prone to acne react more strongly to these lipid peroxides. Theres also evidence to show the composition of fatty acids in sebum from acne-prone skin is different than from skin not prone to acne.
Finally, none of this takes away the fact that there are double blinded RCTs showing topical antioxidants work as well as many currently available topical acne treatments - and with far fewer side-effects.
Dr. Whitney Bowe described the whole theory in her 2010 paper on lipid peroxidation and acne. You can access the paper for free and I suggest anyone whos interested of this theory to read it:
And yes, Im not suggesting that this will actually cure the root cause of acne. Im not sure thats even possible with our current knowledge. Still, if we find something cheap, simple and scientifically-validated that will keep acne under control, I think most people would want to hear about it.