Notifications
Clear all

Foundation Over Dry Acne?

MemberMember
(@xeydrian)

Posted : 06/01/2014 12:44 pm

I have fairly dry skin, and using any sort of make up/foundation is awful and it never fails to look flakey and gross. But it's only around my acne where it starts to cake up. I always moisturize, prime, use a tinted moisturizer/BB cream, foundation and then powder. I have pretty moderate acne with ginormous pores so I feel uncomfortable not wearing makeup. I also don't exfoliate because it irritates my skin and makes it look about a billion times worse and dryer. I use honey nightly to help moisturize my face and then witch hazel to calm my face and reduce inflammation if I've been picking at my face (which is usually).

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution? Once I put my foundation on and such, I sit there in the mirror trying to pick off the flakes and it just ends up looking awful and I have to reapply my makeup. It's so frustrating ughhh

MemberMember
(@lemming)

Posted : 06/01/2014 10:18 pm

Hi there,

I just watched a YouTube video today where a girl addresses this problem. Her solution was starting in the shower, she used a baby cloth (must be soft) and dampened it, then put jojoba oil on the cloth. She then gently rubbed this on her face. Afterwards, she cleansed with her cleanser. This apparently helps tremendously with flakiness.

For her makeup application, she used primer, then used a beauty blender very gently to apply her foundation (I believe she used estee lauder). She continually layered the foundation until she got the coverage she wanted. Her skin looked good by doing this, and not cakey.

She also did not use concealer, just layered the foundation with the tip of the beauty blender.

Lastly, she used a very soft buff to gently press a light powder onto her face, no using a face brush.

She used this method as she had very dry flaky skin from using multiple retinoids.

Cheers!

MemberMember
(@xeydrian)

Posted : 06/02/2014 8:25 pm

Hi there,

I just watched a YouTube video today where a girl addresses this problem. Her solution was starting in the shower, she used a baby cloth (must be soft) and dampened it, then put jojoba oil on the cloth. She then gently rubbed this on her face. Afterwards, she cleansed with her cleanser. This apparently helps tremendously with flakiness.

For her makeup application, she used primer, then used a beauty blender very gently to apply her foundation (I believe she used estee lauder). She continually layered the foundation until she got the coverage she wanted. Her skin looked good by doing this, and not cakey.

She also did not use concealer, just layered the foundation with the tip of the beauty blender.

Lastly, she used a very soft buff to gently press a light powder onto her face, no using a face brush.

She used this method as she had very dry flaky skin from using multiple retinoids.

Cheers!

I've been thinking about using Jojoba oil but I'm just so afraid of using new products and making my skin worse since it's getting slightly better (which hasn't happened in years). I might go ahead try it then if it can help with my flakiness. I've also seen stuff about the beauty blenders but I've also heard sponges like that aren't too fantastic for dry skin, but I'm willing to try it out as well!

Thanks for the response. :D

MemberMember
(@lemming)

Posted : 06/02/2014 8:37 pm

I've used jojoba oil in the past, and it did not break me out! Strangely, I've noticed that argan oil does...

The beauty blender is awesome, but it's all in the application.

If you have time, take a look at the video I mentioned :

[Removed]

It's long, but she knows what she's talking about. Watch her application, and maybe it will help ya.

MemberMember
(@xeydrian)

Posted : 06/02/2014 8:49 pm

Yeah I've heard pretty good things about it I'm just so scared to screw up my skin again in case it hates my skin!

I actually just bought a cheap version of the beauty blender a few minutes ago. I'm sure it's not exactly the same but $20 is a lot for a sponge lol

I'll watch it, thanks!

MemberMember
(@aeris7)

Posted : 06/03/2014 5:14 am

For me, BB cream (or a tinted moisturizer) works better than foundation because of my dry patches. Then I use concealer on the areas that need it. My personal favorite combo is the Physician's Formula BB cream followed by spot coverage with the Conceal RX Concealer by Physican's Formula. Oh, and I use the Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel as a primer before the makeup.

MemberMember
(@xeydrian)

Posted : 06/03/2014 2:39 pm

For me, BB cream (or a tinted moisturizer) works better than foundation because of my dry patches. Then I use concealer on the areas that need it. My personal favorite combo is the Physician's Formula BB cream followed by spot coverage with the Conceal RX Concealer by Physican's Formula. Oh, and I use the Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel as a primer before the makeup.

I've been using a tinted moisturizer because a friend recommended it for flakiness/dry skin, but it I don't think there will ever be a BB cream that gives me full coverage because of my acne. ): My BB cream/tinted moisturizer helps even my skin tone out and I wear it on days where I won't be going out or anything just because it make my face a bit better in the mirror than having to put all my makeup on. I'll research that BB cream though- it sounds like its worth buying, especially with dry skin!

I've actually used aloe vera as a primer before but it for some reason dried out my skin even more (???) even though it helps everywhere else on my body as a moisturizer.

Maybe I just need to switch up my BB cream lol

Also I love the FF7! Aeris was definitely my favorite. c:

MemberMember
(@moonlightshadow)

Posted : 06/03/2014 2:45 pm

Argan or olive oil ! works for me.

MemberMember
(@aeris7)

Posted : 06/04/2014 2:50 am

I've been using a tinted moisturizer because a friend recommended it for flakiness/dry skin, but it I don't think there will ever be a BB cream that gives me full coverage because of my acne. ): My BB cream/tinted moisturizer helps even my skin tone out and I wear it on days where I won't be going out or anything just because it make my face a bit better in the mirror than having to put all my makeup on. I'll research that BB cream though- it sounds like its worth buying, especially with dry skin!

I've actually used aloe vera as a primer before but it for some reason dried out my skin even more (???) even though it helps everywhere else on my body as a moisturizer.

Maybe I just need to switch up my BB cream lol

Also I love the FF7! Aeris was definitely my favorite. c:

The Physicians Formula BB cream has much better coverage than any other BB cream or tinted moisturizers I've tried.